SCOTUS bitch slaps Texas on abortion rights.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2016, 02:05 PM
RE: SCOTUS bitch slaps Texas on abortion rights.
(27-06-2016 01:21 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 11:07 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  In the eyes of a fundy
The unsuspecting thinker
Had better protect the truth
From the right

Cause the eyes of a fundy
Are upon you
Any thinking you do
They're gonna see

When you're in Texas
Look behind you
Cause thats where
The fundy's gonna be.

When have you ever been to Texas?

I've sneezed better poems than that.

Hey dumbass, it is a parody of the TV show "Walker Texas Ranger" opening theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIYZVSElmj4

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2016, 03:06 PM
(27-06-2016 02:05 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 01:21 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  When have you ever been to Texas?

I've sneezed better poems than that.

Hey dumbass, it is a parody of the TV show "Walker Texas Ranger" opening theme song.

Oh, I totally missed that! Confused

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
27-06-2016, 03:13 PM
(27-06-2016 10:32 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Also, Vosur, your cartoon seems to be the exact opposite of your conservative political views, unless you think that he government should feed us, cloth us, house us, take care of our medical needs, etc.....

The cartoon merely summarizes George Carlin's rant. Vosur is a scent hound for smelling out and exposing hypocrisy. It's just that sometimes he's smelling his own ass and doesn't realize it. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-06-2016, 03:37 PM
(27-06-2016 12:05 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 11:05 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  As a Texas woman, this makes me very happy!! Yay, SCOTUS! Heart

Wait? Don't tell me you live in that state and don't love sexism? You suck being a Texan. Oh BTW fuck the Cowboys. But that's a different subject.

Texas is so disappoint in me, I know. Hobo Tongue

And I don't follow football, so no harm done there. Big Grin

[+] 5 users Like Escape Artist's post
27-06-2016, 03:58 PM
(27-06-2016 01:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Most abortions are done early in the pregnancy. Early in pregnancy the FETUS (NOT a "child") has no brain, and no neural tube. A group of cells with no brain, and not even a neural tube, is no "human", and certainly not a "baby". That is not "an unborn child". The purposeful use of incorrect/false language with emotional baggage serves no one in this discussion. A woman ridding herself of a clump of undifferentiated cells is not a moral question. It's a POTENTIAL human, not a "baby". It is shocking that someone who pretends to care about the careful use of language, would be so careless and dishonest in its use, when it appears to serve him.
Firstly, it would be wise to take a look in a couple dictionaries before accusing someone of using incorrect, false, careless or dishonest language. The use of the term "child" to refer to a fetus is perfectly valid even without adding the modifier "unborn".

Oxford Dictionaries:

child
noun
1 A young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority
1.1 A son or daughter of any age
1.2 An immature or irresponsible person
1.3 A person who has little or no experience in a particular area

Merriam Webster:

child
noun
1a. an unborn or recently born person
2a. a young person especially between infancy and youth
3. a youth of noble birth (archaic)
4. a son or daughter of human parents

Dictionary.com:

child
noun
1. a person between birth and full growth; a boy or girl
2. a son or daughter
3. a baby or infant
4. a human fetus

TheFreeDictionary:

child
noun
1a. A person between birth and puberty
2a. An unborn infant; a fetus
3. One who is childish or immature
4. A son or daughter; an offspring

Secondly, your claim that most abortions are done at a stage of pregnancy when the child has no brain is completely inaccurate according to the CDC and the U.S. National Library of Medicine.

CDC

Percentage of abortions by gestation period

≤6 weeks: 34.9%
7 weeks: 17.7%
8 weeks: 13.2%
9 weeks: 8.7%
10 weeks: 5.8%
11 weeks: 4.8%
12 weeks: 3.6%
13 weeks: 2.7%
14-15 weeks: 3.5%
16-17 weeks: 1.8%
18-20 weeks: 1.9%
≥ 21 weeks: 1.3%

All: ~99%

U.S. National Library of Medicine

Fetal development: Week by week changes

Week 5 (It's hard to determine the number of abortions that are performed at this stage because the CDC doesn't list the individual numbers for anything under 7 weeks)
  • Week 5 is the start of the "embryonic period." This is when all the baby's major systems and structures develop.
  • The embryo's cells multiply and start to take on specific functions. This is called differentiation.
  • Blood cells, kidney cells, and nerve cells all develop.
  • The embryo grows rapidly, and the baby's external features begin to form.
  • Your baby's brain, spinal cord, and heart begin to develop.
  • Baby's gastrointestinal tract starts to form.
  • It is during this time in the first trimester that the baby is most at risk for damage from things that may cause birth defects. This includes certain medicines, illegal drug use, heavy alcohol use, infections such as rubella, and other factors.

Weeks 6 to 7 (Same as above, except in this case we know that at least 17.7% of all abortions are performed at this stage of pregnancy)
  • Arm and leg buds start to grow.
  • Your baby's brain forms into 5 different areas. Some cranial nerves are visible.
  • Eyes and ears begin to form.
  • Tissue grows that will become your baby's spine and other bones.
  • Baby's heart continues to grow and now beats at a regular rhythm.
  • Blood pumps through the main vessels.

Week 8 (47.3% of all abortions are performed at this or a later stage of pregnancy)
  • Baby's arms and legs have grown longer.
  • Hands and feet begin to form and look like little paddles.
  • Your baby's brain continues to grow.
  • The lungs start to form.
Thirdly, your argument that abortion is not a moral question because the fetus is only a "clump of undifferentiated cells" at the time is based on a false premise, as you can see below (All images were taken from the U.S. National Library of Medicine).

A human fetus about 7.5 weeks into the pregnancy (65% of all abortions are performed at this or a later stage of pregnancy)

[Image: 9579.jpg]

A human fetus about 8.5 weeks into the pregnancy (47.3% of all abortions are performed at this or a later stage of pregnancy)

[Image: 9580.jpg]

A human fetus about 10 weeks into the pregnancy (25.4% of all abortions are performed at this or a later stage of pregnancy)

[Image: 9571.jpg]

A human fetus about 12 weeks into the pregnancy (14.8% of all abortions are performed at this or a later stage of pregnancy)

[Image: 9572.jpg]

A human fetus about 16 weeks into the pregnancy (5% of all abortions are performed at this or a later stage of pregnancy)

[Image: 9573.jpg]

A human fetus about 24 weeks into the pregnancy (<1% of all abortions are performed at this or a later stage of pregnancy)

[Image: 9575.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
27-06-2016, 05:00 PM
(27-06-2016 03:58 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 01:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Most abortions are done early in the pregnancy. Early in pregnancy the FETUS (NOT a "child") has no brain, and no neural tube. A group of cells with no brain, and not even a neural tube, is no "human", and certainly not a "baby". That is not "an unborn child". The purposeful use of incorrect/false language with emotional baggage serves no one in this discussion. A woman ridding herself of a clump of undifferentiated cells is not a moral question. It's a POTENTIAL human, not a "baby". It is shocking that someone who pretends to care about the careful use of language, would be so careless and dishonest in its use, when it appears to serve him.
Firstly, it would be wise to take a look in a couple dictionaries before accusing someone of using incorrect, false, careless or dishonest language. The use of the term "child" to refer to a fetus is perfectly valid even without adding the modifier "unborn".

Oxford Dictionaries:

child
noun
1 A young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority
1.1 A son or daughter of any age
1.2 An immature or irresponsible person
1.3 A person who has little or no experience in a particular area

Merriam Webster:

child
noun
1a. an unborn or recently born person
2a. a young person especially between infancy and youth
3. a youth of noble birth (archaic)
4. a son or daughter of human parents

Dictionary.com:

child
noun
1. a person between birth and full growth; a boy or girl
2. a son or daughter
3. a baby or infant
4. a human fetus

TheFreeDictionary:

child
noun
1a. A person between birth and puberty
2a. An unborn infant; a fetus
3. One who is childish or immature
4. A son or daughter; an offspring

Secondly, your claim that most abortions are done at a stage of pregnancy when the child has no brain is completely inaccurate according to the ...

Bucky's choice of words was poor, i.e. "no brain", "mass of undifferentiated..."

However, without a sufficiently developed brain and nervous system, the fetus is not a 'person'.

And the majority (91.4%) were performed prior to that point.
CDC Wrote:Among the 38 areas that reported gestational age at the time of abortion for 2012 (Table 7), two-thirds (65.8%) of abortions were performed by ≤8 weeks' gestation, and 91.4% were performed at ≤13 weeks' gestation.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-06-2016, 05:57 PM
Happy days!

The pro-life label is a lie, there is no such thing. They are anti-choice, anti-women and anti-equality. I am thrilled that SCOTUS stuck it up their anti-choice asses and broke it off!

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 6 users Like Heatheness's post
27-06-2016, 06:17 PM
(27-06-2016 03:06 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 02:05 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Hey dumbass, it is a parody of the TV show "Walker Texas Ranger" opening theme song.

Oh, I totally missed that! Confused

Mods: Please erase these posts before the DimWittedSloth assassin reports them to Chuck Norris and all mayhem ensues.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-06-2016, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2016 08:19 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-06-2016 03:58 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Percentage of abortions by gestation period

≤6 weeks: 34.9%
7 weeks: 17.7%
8 weeks: 13.2%
9 weeks: 8.7%
10 weeks: 5.8%
11 weeks: 4.8%
12 weeks: 3.6%
13 weeks: 2.7%
14-15 weeks: 3.5%
16-17 weeks: 1.8%
18-20 weeks: 1.9%
≥ 21 weeks: 1.3%

Thanks FascistKraut (I gotta come up with a better pet name). Those numbers are interesting and informative. My question is at what stage an abortion requires a D&C and which can be done by medical cocktail without any physical intervention? Plan B is already OTC. These abortion inducing cocktails are readily available on the internet. Their safety records suggest to me that they will next be just prescribed and potentially made OTC. My question is at what point is it no longer safe to take the cocktail without medical monitoring? At what point does it require a D&C?

(27-06-2016 03:58 PM)Vosur Wrote:  A human fetus about 8.5 weeks into the pregnancy (47.3% of all abortions are performed at this or a later stage of pregnancy)

You do math weird. My read on your numbers is that 34.9%+17.7%+13.2%+8.7%+5.8%+4.8%+3.6%= ~89% happen in the first trimester. The only question to me is at what stage is physical intervention like a D&C required in addition to the drug cocktail?

#sigh
27-06-2016, 07:03 PM
(27-06-2016 05:57 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Happy days!

The pro-life label is a lie, there is no such thing. They are anti-choice, anti-women and anti-equality. I am thrilled that SCOTUS stuck it up their anti-choice asses and broke it off!

The sane world is with you.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post