SCOTUS rules against DOMA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2013, 08:44 AM
SCOTUS rules against DOMA
Soyanora, Proposition 8! And much to the chagrin of the LDS church who spent some $350 million to get that damned proposition passed, outlawing same sex marriage.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/26/supreme-court/

This reminds me, when California voters approved Prop 8 in 2008, I said to myself that the Mormon Church spent over $300 million to delay the inevitable by 5 years.

And damned it that didn't happen!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
26-06-2013, 10:29 AM
RE: SCOTUS rules against DOMA
Oh the tears of the bigots are so delicious!

[Image: hE18099EB]

[Image: atheistsignature.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like yumeji's post
27-06-2013, 01:28 PM
As a life long Californian I applaud this decision. As someone visiting in Michigan (my brother) I note that a high official in this states legal system says it will not affect its law against same sex marriage.

The ruling was based on the fact that the state (California) did not pursue the case after a lower court found the law unconstitutional, and when outside agencies (the original supporters of the ban on same sex marriages) chose to those outside agencies did not have the standing to continue the case. It was a very narrow ruling based on procedure not law. Other states with same sex marriage bans will be allowed to continue those bans as long as the state continues to support them.
28-06-2013, 12:00 PM
[Image: berternie.jpg]

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 4 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
29-06-2013, 07:14 AM
(27-06-2013 01:28 PM)JAH Wrote:  As a life long Californian I applaud this decision. As someone visiting in Michigan (my brother) I note that a high official in this states legal system says it will not affect its law against same sex marriage.

Good news on Michigan, at least news that has it trending in the right direction. Check out this article published today by the Huffington Post.

Michigan Domestic Partner Benefits Ban Blocked By Federal Judge, Cited As Unconstitutional

I am ecstatic to see DOMA overturned, it is about time, and I am just so thrilled for my brother who is also my best friend. He, along with everyone in the LGBT community deserves the rights the rest of us enjoy with our partners.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
29-06-2013, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2013 06:58 PM by Full Circle.)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/s...story.html

This is going to be a State by State fight.

For the life of me I just don't understand the preoccupation that some people have with what other consenting adults do with their genetalia. Huh

You have to be very unsure of your own sexuality and very controlling, inhibited and egocentric to try to dictate consensual morality and impose your own on others.

I'm hoping to attend my friends wedding in San Fran so I can then be his best man like he was in my wedding 26 years ago. That would be so cool and so about fucking time! ( I mean, shit, he's been living in sin all this time, he needs to tie the knot and make it all good in the eyes of the Lord). Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
29-06-2013, 07:34 AM
Double post, oops

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
29-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Former Arkansas Governor and U.S. Presidential candidate Mike Huckabee:

"My thoughts on the SCOTUS ruling that determined that same sex marriage is okay: 'Jesus wept.'"

Response of someone on TV:

"Yeah, I always cry at weddings too."

Big Grin

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 3 users Like cufflink's post
30-06-2013, 09:14 AM
[attachment=1474]

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
02-07-2013, 12:03 AM
For clarity something should be pointed out. The supremes only struck down as discriminatory the part of the DOMA that allowed the US to exclude the advantages of marriage to same sex couples in states where it was legal. They basically punted on the national level on same sex marriage back to the states.

It is rather like their ruling on the voting rights act. States are allowed to discriminate if they so chose.