SIL still making me nauseated

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2014, 10:00 PM
SIL still making me nauseated
Some of you may remember my debates with my overly religious sister-in-law. I've shared some of the exchanges on here and I've detailed them on my blog (which I admit I have let fall by the wayside because of so many other commitments).

After some heated emails we decided to finally call it quits (even though she couldn't let it go a few times after that) and things have been fairly normal. We just kind of have a "kid gloves" relationship and never really mention religion anymore. It's a relationship of no substance these days.

Today, she couldn't resist sending me a link to a story about religion and science and saying that it was an interesting article.

Here is the link, and feel free to destroy it.

http://m.ncregister.com/site/article/fai...F7h3ie9KSO

I told her I didn't think it was interesting by saying "Not so much." and I put a smiley face as to not be confrontational.

Here was her response: "Are you of the opinion that you know what it says in this article and can prove its wrong. All this article is is an article about all the catholic priests that contributed majorly to science. What's the problem with that? Are you so closed off that you will not even educate yourself on some science facts?"

I told her to "Please just stop. Love you."

And she basically put up an incredulous question mark and an "OK?"

This comes on the heels of my mother sending me three emails where she copied me in her correspondence to a distant relative offering her condolences for someone who died in my family (who I never knew or met) and her religious tripe was too much to swallow.

I can't believe the balls on them. I almost fell over in my chair when I read my SIL's response. The article (on a Catholic site BTW) was just unbearable. I took the high road, as I have had to do a lot, but I so wanted to just rip into her.

What did you think of the article?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2014, 10:50 PM
RE: SIL still making me nauseated
Cherry-picked garbage.

Quote:"To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin."
(Robert Cardinal Bellarmine / 1542-1621 / at the trial of Galileo in 1615)

Quote:"The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell."
(Saint Augustin / 354-430 / De genesi ad litteram / [Here, mathematician = astrologer])

Quote:"Whatever the natural cause, sin is the true cause of all earthquakes."
(John Wesley, English evangelist / 1703-1791)

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
08-11-2014, 10:52 PM
I am just gonna respond to that article for ya.

Quote:While many people think of Galileo being unfairly persecuted by the Church, they tend to forget the peculiar circumstances of these events and the fact that he remained Catholic and that his daughter became a nun.

That is because they gave him the option to stop doing science, and stop trying to tell people that the world was not the center of the universe which was in the bible back then before they changed it, or be executed. HARDLY a choice between those two things. Galileo WAS persecution.

Quote:Pop-culture atheists such as Richard Dawkins revel in pointing out the Church’s supposed hatred of science, scientists and free thought, but they come up short when asked for more examples.

This is a flat out fucking LIE! Stem Cell research was Banned from being given any government funds and almost outright banned altogether by George Bush who used religious reasons for the ban. Not to mention that there was a massive Catholic uprising against it. Not to mention the pockets of fighting between religious people and science that has anything to do with the universe.

I mean fuck! What do you call Intelligent Design? That is more than just some people getting their ideologies pushed into schools and trying to pass it off as science. They constantly persecute against scientists by having elaborate sermons with children, brainwashing them to distrust science and to hate it altogether and never trust a scientist or science.

Faith healing? Do I need to keep going on? FUCK!

Quote:In reality, modern science was invented by observant Catholics, a timely topic to consider as the Church observes the Nov. 15 feast day of St. Albert the Great, the 13th-century German Dominican (and mentor of St. Thomas Aquinas), who wrote a compendium of all knowledge in which he explored natural science, logic, rhetoric, mathematics, astronomy, ethics, economics, politics and metaphysics. Albert is the patron saint of scientists and researchers of the natural sciences.
Bitch please! The one and only thing in scientific history that Thomas Aquinas ever did that was noteworthy was absolutely nothing. He is not remembered by a single historian for ever doing anything in the fields of logic, rhetoric, or science or mathematics. The one and only thing he has ever, or will ever be remembered for actually doing is the 5 proofs of god which has been so thoroughly debunked as being one of the most retarded proofs that god exists that its laughable when someone brings it up in an actual debate.

Quote:The Church and Scientists
In the Middle Ages, most, if not all, European scientists were Catholic priests, including Father Nicholas Copernicus, who confirmed the heliocentric theory, which states that Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun.

You mean the middle ages that were only called the middle ages because the middle ages consisted of Catholic controlled territory?

oh...and here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_Bruno

Quote:In addition, Jesuit Msgr. Georges Lemaître, not Albert Einstein, was the one who created the “Big Bang” theory in 1933.

“There is no conflict between religion and science,” he said.

(The term “Big Bang” was recommended by atheist-physicist Fred Hoyle, who opposed Msgr. Lemaître’s theory.)

Science does not conflict with religion? Einstein lived in a much different time. If he know even half the stuff we do today. Than he would never had said that. He died 59 years ago. Almost everything he did does not apply in today's world. Einstein is irrelevant. All his ideas and discoveries are because they had either been debunked or expanded on so much that the expansion on them outweighs the original start they gave us.

Quote:In addition, more than 40 of the moon’s craters are named after Jesuit astronomers. These were named by the scientists who mapped the moon about 20 years after the Galileo trial.

So? What is your point? The planets were named after Greek Gods. What the fucking hell point are you even attempting to try and get at here?

Quote:“Belief in God as the Creator is not an obstacle [to science]. Why should belief that the universe has a Creator stand in the way of science?

Yes, yes it is. To be more accurate. When a scientist tries to push their beliefs through their science is when it becomes detrimental to their work. Why do you think no one on the planet takes creationism scientists seriously? You cannot mix faith and superstition with science and logic. They are not even polar opposites. They are both on different planets.

Quote:Why should it in any way cause problems for science, if scientists understand their research, their discoveries and the theories they evolve, their comprehension of relationships as ‘studying the book of creation’?” stated Cardinal Christoph Schönborn in Chance or Purpose?

Because the book of creation....is..not.....science?
Do you even know what science actually IS? I don't think you do.

Quote:Even Louis Pasteur, “father of bacteriology,” said, “Science brings men nearer to God. The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the Creator’s work.”

Yeah good for him. Most of the time when a scientist speaks about the mind of god like that, they are being poetic. Not literal. Even if he was, again, different time period and lack of understanding of what we know now. There is nothing in science that suggests a creator. Nothing, at all, period. The, fucking, end. Now fuck off you snake oil salesmen.

Quote:The French chemist, epidemiologist and microbiologist created the rabies vaccine and the pasteurization process, and he developed the “germ theory of disease.” His research reduced mortality from puerperal fever. He was a devout Catholic and was particularly dedicated to the Rosary.

Good for him! That was all good things. His faith had nothing to do with his science work though. So what relevance is it that he was Catholic? Would it make any difference at all if he still did all that and had been a Buddhist or atheist or a Islamic man? It would not had mattered what his faith was.

Quote:The Catechism of the Catholic Church states: “Though faith is above reason, there can never be any real discrepancy between faith and reason. Since the same God who reveals mysteries and infuses faith has bestowed the light of reason on the human mind, God cannot deny himself, nor can truth ever contradict truth.

This is just downright stupid. So, basically what I am getting from this is that we cannot know anything without god, therefor since I know god does not exist god gave me the knowledge that he does not exist because he does not exist therefor he does not exist to give me the reasoning in the first place which means the "light of reason" must had come from another source which can only be from myself.....TADA! I just broke your logic with itself.

Quote:Consequently, methodical research in all branches of knowledge, provided it is carried out in a truly scientific manner and does not override moral laws, can never conflict with the faith, because the things of the world and the things of faith derive from the same God. The humble and persevering investigator of the secrets of nature is being led, as it were, by the hand of God in spite of himself, for it is God, the conserver of all things, who made them what they are”

Can someone translate this into something I can understand?

Quote:Of Darwin and Mendel
As to the theory of evolution, despite what atheist-revisionists try to pass off, though Charles Darwin (1809-1882) presented an interesting theory as to the natural development of living creatures from simple forms to more complex ones (which coincidently mirrors nearly exactly the Genesis account), he was incapable of providing the mechanism by which information about an individual animal’s survival is passed onto succeeding generations.

...just...fuck off would ya?

Does this do it? I really don't want to do the rest.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 11 users Like Shadow Fox's post
08-11-2014, 10:58 PM
No comment on the article, I'll leave that to others who enjoy doing so. I just wanted to say I think you made a good move taking the high road, and not engaging. Sounds like you've tried, and it was and will continue to be of no avail.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 3 users Like Smercury44's post
08-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Is it crossing a line to say just reading those few sentences made me want to punch your sister in law?

I mean holy hell, when you can't even say an article didn't catch your attention...

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
08-11-2014, 11:17 PM
While I laughed out loud at the article, what ticked me off more was that she sent it to me. I would love to send her everything I find interesting about the historicity of Jesus or whatever, but I don't. And then her response was just classic Christian ignorance and arrogance. I still haven't decided if I'll head on down to the low road just once and carefully explain why what she did was pathetic and what the story said was even more pathetic and why.

I probably won't, but I'll be prepared if she brings it up the next time we see each other.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
08-11-2014, 11:34 PM
Nice job Shadow Fox, my sentiments exactly.

And the arrogance of the piece, on a Catholic site, of course, and then her arrogance on top of it! Ugh!!! I find it so hilarious how they take credit for everything. Being Catholic and a scientist doesn't mean the church was responsible for anything anyway, and the amount of facts it got wrong and the lies it told were just too much to handle. I really had to count to 10 before I responded.

----
08-11-2014, 11:52 PM
Quote:This century will be called Darwin's century. He was one of the greatest men who ever touched this globe. He has explained more of the phenomena of life than all of the religious teachers. Write the name of Charles Darwin on the one hand and the name of every theologian who ever lived on the other, and from that name has come more light to the world than from all of those. His doctrine of evolution, his doctrine of the survival of the fittest, his doctrine of the origin of species, has removed in every thinking mind the last vestige of orthodox Christianity. He has not only stated, but he has demonstrated, that the inspired writer knew nothing of this world, nothing of the origin of man, nothing of geology, nothing of astronomy, nothing of nature; that the Bible is a book written by ignorance -- at the instigation of fear. Think of the men who replied to him. Only a few years ago there was no person too ignorant to successfully answer Charles Darwin; and the more ignorant he was the more cheerfully he undertook the task. He was held up to the ridicule, the scorn and contempt of the Christian world, and yet when he died, England was proud to put his dust with that of her noblest and her grandest. Charles Darwin conquered the intellectual world, and his doctrines are now accepted facts.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll, "Orthodoxy" (1884)

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
09-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Anyone of any religion can make a scientific discovery. Its the evidence in the science that backs up what they are doing that is important. Their religion had nothing to do with the discovery.

They thought rationally dispite the irrational religious thoughts in their head. That can be seen as a achievement in and of itself.

Bravo science guys who do irrational stuff on the weekends. Bravo.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
09-11-2014, 12:36 AM
I guess it might be a bit incendiary to tell SIL "From now on, every time you send me an e-mail with religious nonsense in it, I'm going to post the 'highlights' on an atheist discussion board so that we can all have a good laugh."
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post