SIL still making me nauseated

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2014, 10:44 AM
RE: SIL still making me nauseated
(09-11-2014 09:37 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I have to admit I did write my mother a lengthy FB message regarding the religious emails. As most of you like to do, I choose to put the shoe on the other foot so they can see what if feels like on my end. I asked her how she would feel if I chose to write those same family members and tell them my feelings and POV, saying such things as, "I was sorry to hear of Aunt Mary's death. I hope she took advantage of this one life and didn't waste any time praying to a man-made mythical deity in the sky or spend any of her hard-earned money lining the pockets of the deceptive and unethical church leaders."

While she got the message, she still felt it was her responsibility to save me, and I told her I wouldn't want to spend eternity doing anything. And I assured her that hell was non-existent and I could prove it to her if she gave me 10 minutes, all she has to do is ask.

As for my SIL, we did sort of agree to not talk about it anymore (months ago), which is why I was so shocked she sent me this link. I think the upcoming holidays embolden the religious nuts, either that or they are so drunk from sacramental wine they forget their pacts.

I think you've done what you could, now it's up to them to hold up their end of the bargain.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
09-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Quote:I went to give you a rep point for this, but I'd already done that.

I picked up the slack for you, Nurse.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
09-11-2014, 11:57 AM
(08-11-2014 10:00 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  What did you think of the article?

It's dishonest.

Quote:“Belief in God as the Creator is not an obstacle [to science]. Why should belief that the universe has a Creator stand in the way of science?

Because "God did it, therefore all science" is not science. Drinking Beverage

Why is God as creator an obstacle? For one thing, it depends on the creation story - i.e., Adam and Eve. Evolution is incompatible with God zapping Adam into existence and creating Eve from Adam's rib. So the excuse the Catholic church uses to make evolution compatible is that the creation story shouldn't be taken literally, but only as a metaphor for God creating humans and the universe. But that, of course, negates taking anything in the Bible literally and having no reliable way to determine what is the true message and what is just metaphor. Enter the the magical pope who can never be wrong about such things. Yeah, real scientific. Dodgy So yes, creationism is an obstacle to science.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
09-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Re: RE: SIL still making me nauseated
(08-11-2014 10:52 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
Quote: Consequently, methodical research in all branches of knowledge, provided it is carried out in a truly scientific manner and does not override moral laws, can never conflict with the faith, because the things of the world and the things of faith derive from the same God. The humble and persevering investigator of the secrets of nature is being led, as it were, by the hand of God in spite of himself, for it is God, the conserver of all things, who made them what they are”

Can someone translate this into something I can understand?

Translating Bullshit to English:
Jackhole Wrote:Go ahead and perform science experiments like the filthy scientists, but at the end just write "God did it" or "Glory to be God for showing me this."

If your experiment shows something contradictory, then bury it or just say it's God's plan.

Hope that helps!
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
09-11-2014, 01:16 PM
(09-11-2014 10:44 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I think you've done what you could, now it's up to them to hold up their end of the bargain.

I visit them on Fridays. I really don't think my SIL will bring it up because she knows it will upset my mother, but you never know. And my mother won't say anything for the same reason. We'll see. The more I read that article the more it infuriates me. The Big Bang and Evolution swipes were particularly insulting and revolting.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Maybe skip a couple of Fridays so the message sinks in?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
09-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Yes
(09-11-2014 02:13 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Maybe skip a couple of Fridays so the message sinks in?

The only thing is my parents are older and my mom just beat breast cancer, so I'm trying to spend as much time with them while I can, ya know, with there being no afterlife and all.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2014, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 09:04 PM by Full Circle.)
(09-11-2014 01:16 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 10:44 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I think you've done what you could, now it's up to them to hold up their end of the bargain.

I visit them on Fridays. I really don't think my SIL will bring it up because she knows it will upset my mother, but you never know. And my mother won't say anything for the same reason. We'll see. The more I read that article the more it infuriates me. The Big Bang and Evolution swipes were particularly insulting and revolting.

I think you have to change your perspective on their assaults and instead of reacting to them as insulting and revolting respond with pity and a few shakes of the head and leave.

Let them get worked up about it, let it slide off of you like water off a Simonized duck's back.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
09-11-2014, 03:03 PM
(09-11-2014 01:29 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 10:52 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I am just gonna respond to that article for ya.

That is because they gave him the option to stop doing science, and stop trying to tell people that the world was not the center of the universe which was in the bible back then before they changed it, or be executed. HARDLY a choice between those two things. Galileo WAS persecution.

This is a flat out fucking LIE! Stem Cell research was Banned from being given any government funds and almost outright banned altogether by George Bush who used religious reasons for the ban. Not to mention that there was a massive Catholic uprising against it. Not to mention the pockets of fighting between religious people and science that has anything to do with the universe.

I mean fuck! What do you call Intelligent Design? That is more than just some people getting their ideologies pushed into schools and trying to pass it off as science. They constantly persecute against scientists by having elaborate sermons with children, brainwashing them to distrust science and to hate it altogether and never trust a scientist or science.

Faith healing? Do I need to keep going on? FUCK!

Bitch please! The one and only thing in scientific history that Thomas Aquinas ever did that was noteworthy was absolutely nothing. He is not remembered by a single historian for ever doing anything in the fields of logic, rhetoric, or science or mathematics. The one and only thing he has ever, or will ever be remembered for actually doing is the 5 proofs of god which has been so thoroughly debunked as being one of the most retarded proofs that god exists that its laughable when someone brings it up in an actual debate.

You mean the middle ages that were only called the middle ages because the middle ages consisted of Catholic controlled territory?

oh...and here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_Bruno

Science does not conflict with religion? Einstein lived in a much different time. If he know even half the stuff we do today. Than he would never had said that. He died 59 years ago. Almost everything he did does not apply in today's world. Einstein is irrelevant. All his ideas and discoveries are because they had either been debunked or expanded on so much that the expansion on them outweighs the original start they gave us.

So? What is your point? The planets were named after Greek Gods. What the fucking hell point are you even attempting to try and get at here?

Yes, yes it is. To be more accurate. When a scientist tries to push their beliefs through their science is when it becomes detrimental to their work. Why do you think no one on the planet takes creationism scientists seriously? You cannot mix faith and superstition with science and logic. They are not even polar opposites. They are both on different planets.

Because the book of creation....is..not.....science?
Do you even know what science actually IS? I don't think you do.

Yeah good for him. Most of the time when a scientist speaks about the mind of god like that, they are being poetic. Not literal. Even if he was, again, different time period and lack of understanding of what we know now. There is nothing in science that suggests a creator. Nothing, at all, period. The, fucking, end. Now fuck off you snake oil salesmen.

Good for him! That was all good things. His faith had nothing to do with his science work though. So what relevance is it that he was Catholic? Would it make any difference at all if he still did all that and had been a Buddhist or atheist or a Islamic man? It would not had mattered what his faith was.

This is just downright stupid. So, basically what I am getting from this is that we cannot know anything without god, therefor since I know god does not exist god gave me the knowledge that he does not exist because he does not exist therefor he does not exist to give me the reasoning in the first place which means the "light of reason" must had come from another source which can only be from myself.....TADA! I just broke your logic with itself.

Can someone translate this into something I can understand?

...just...fuck off would ya?

Does this do it? I really don't want to do the rest.

I went to give you a rep point for this, but I'd already done that. This was awesome. Bowing

Awww, Shucks! Twern't nuttin! Blush

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
09-11-2014, 05:39 PM
I wonder why they think that any religion that violates fundamental Commandments handed down fro the Highest Authority in for nothing more than some badly produced propaganda is likely to get any converts. Or for that matter, any adherents.

For maximum fun, show up next Friday with a copy of the Quran.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post