SIL still making me nauseated

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2014, 06:08 PM
RE: SIL still making me nauseated
Quote:In the Middle Ages, most, if not all, European scientists were Catholic priests, including Father Nicholas Copernicus, who confirmed the heliocentric theory, which states that Earth and the other planets revolve around the sun.

This one's particularly amusing since Copernicus' On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres was added to the Catholic Church's List if Prohibited Books, precisely because of his Heliocentric theories.

Quote:This Holy Congregation has also learned about the spreading and acceptance by many of the false Pythagorean doctrine, altogether contrary to the Holy Scripture, that the earth moves and the sun is motionless, which is also taught by Nicholaus Copernicus' De revolutionibus orbium coelestium and by Diego de Zúñiga's In Job ... Therefore, in order that this opinion may not creep any further to the prejudice of Catholic truth, the Congregation has decided that the books by Nicolaus Copernicus [De revolutionibus] and Diego de Zúñiga [In Job] be suspended until corrected.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2014, 12:13 AM
High road is hard. You encounter these people (your family) a lot, OP. My only advice to anything sent like that in the future is to, as soon as you realize there is anything religious involved, stop reading the rest and send back a one saying 'Sorry. Didn't read this. There is something religious in there and we agreed not to discuss religious topics. Your entire message has been ignored.' Put the response in a file. If they come back about it with anything other than an apology and dropping it, don't read and send the message again, exactly the same. Do so all the time, every time. Learn the words and say them when talking face to face as well. Simply refuse to engage, even if they say they want to 'understand'. You can always tell them to come here to understand.

Just a suggestion.
[+] 1 user Likes OddGamer's post
10-11-2014, 07:37 AM
(09-11-2014 05:39 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I wonder why they think that any religion that violates fundamental Commandments handed down fro the Highest Authority in for nothing more than some badly produced propaganda is likely to get any converts. Or for that matter, any adherents.

Because it has worked so well for thousands of years? Consider

But the times they are a'changin'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2014, 10:55 PM
UPDATE: The SIL sent me a FB message tonight (four days later) to apologize. I accepted.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
12-11-2014, 08:24 AM
(11-11-2014 10:55 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  UPDATE: The SIL sent me a FB message tonight (four days later) to apologize. I accepted.

That must have been unexpected. Perfect time to review the rules of non-engagement in a civilized manner.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
12-11-2014, 11:28 AM
I thought about it, but her admission of overstepping boundaries was a clear indication she knew what she did was wrong, or at the very least would open up another debate. I don't foresee this type of thing happening again, but if it does I won't be so cordial next time.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me