SKYRIM (yes, yes, yes!)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2012, 03:42 AM
RE: SKYRIM (yes, yes, yes!)
I am at a loss for word at your lack of knowledge.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2012, 04:10 AM
Lol come on guys it's not worth calling each other names. It is after all just a game.

That said I'll comment on the stuff you guys are talking about, but without name calling and my own feel to it.

Oblivion:

- Did have a good story line, was pretty in depth.
- Had a lot of quests, plenty to do. Although the engine was still somewhat buggy, this seems to be a bethesda tradition more than anything with all elder scrolls games.
- The magic portion was very awesome. I greatly enjoyed the fact that you could make your own spells, this is something skyrim lacked and I felt would have made it better.
- There was a lot more to making potions than simply skill level and ingredients. For instance, the equipment you used had a lot of bearing on it. I thought this was great in oblivion. Skyrim lacked this.
- I enjoyed the fact that things such as the thieves guild had a very interesting story line and were very in depth. Things such as
having to frame people, go in and insert things and then seeing the story unfold were very cool.
I felt this was something skyrim lacked on some of the stories as some of the guild quests did feel repetitive.
- I felt the random encounters added a good bit to the game. Having to encounter random enemies was a nice addition since skyrim has fast travel and makes the challenge of traveling and having to fight your way through things a bit less hard core.
- I was disappointed at the ease of actually closing an oblivion gate. I was able to successfully troll these and basically figure out a way to run through them without taking much damage and go from beginning to end. This meant not looting things though, which sucked, but made it easy to close a gate. So I felt they could have done better on this.
- Coming from morrowind, the graphics were a huge improvement, so was combat, customization and other factors.
- Getting into guilds was a bit of a challenge, I like a good challenge.
- Sometimes random encounters are NOT what I expected, adding more challenge. This was a good thing in my opinion.

Skyrim:

- Graphics are nice.
- I was disappointed at the magic portion. In oblivion creating spells was freaking fantastic. It gave a level of customization to magic in the game that was unrivaled in skyrim. In skyrim it is very easy to just learn a spell and cast it, but this makes the limitation of magic literally to the extent of level, magica and level of spell, nothing more, nothing less. In oblivion this was customizeable so that you could make a spell that did x damage at the cost of x mana. Maybe I want to cast a giant fireball that saps every last bit of my mana. Or raise a zombie for x time at cost of all of it. Or maybe I want to do something epic. Skyrim does not have this, period.
- Combat is pretty cool. Some would say it is nerfed, but honestly, I really enjoy the theatrical combat that it has. Having the zooming in on an epic arrow shot, the finishing moves, or an epic camera angle of you finishing someone off from behind on an assassination is pretty damn cool. I won't lie.
- I like the amount of detail put into textures, this goes back to graphics. Although I was greatly disappointed that for the longest time, running on ultimate everything resulted in the purple texture issue due to lack of ram. This is patched now, and far less buggy. I haven't had any issues with the game since.
- The random crashes were a nuisance for a while, seems to be patched.
- The guilds are pretty cool and I think it's great that the storylines are pretty long. Although some become very repetitive. For instance, the thieves guild.
I think it's really annoying that to do the final missions you have to do a bunch of repetitive missions until you get a "special" mission to finish more missions to finally become the guild master. I hated that. Really stupid. I also hated that once you complete assassin's guild that you just have the option to go kill a lot of people in a bland way. The emperor mission was cool as shit, loved it. But I wish there were MORE epic missions like that.
- I do like the fact that there are relationships. Although they aren't exciting. But the perks of marrying a store owner is pretty cool since I like gold.
- I do like how lock picking has improved. I feel it is far more of a challenge. It's VERY challenging on master. Although to a degree it seems nerfed since you get xp for failing. This means if you have enough gold you could literally buy an endless supply of picks, go to a master pick, fail on it as much as you want and gain free levels (not kidding). This is lame. Oblivion didn't seem to have this.
- The sneak system doesn't seem quite as interesting as oblivion. I feel like it's really weird how pickpocketing is involved with it. In oblivion you had a straight up skill level. Now in skyrim item value affects it. I fail to see how this is a factor and it makes pickpocketing good items very difficult without perks. I think weight/quantity would be a better factor.
- The main story of skyrim I honestly did not even know was over when I finished it. It took me another days worth of play time to realize I had beat the game. Not even kidding. At least in oblivion I knew when it was over. That said, the storyline was very fun. But shortlived. There are, however, a crapton of quests in the game and I plan on playing all of them to go through and experience the entire game. The dragon shouts are awesome and I LOVE exploring the caves, mines and catacombs and finding new shouts.
- I love the horse riding, but I hate that if the horse dies that you inevitably die. I feel it's horribly unrealistic, stupid, annoying and difficult to gauge if the horse takes a slightly steep fall. I really, truly, loathe this feature.
- Marksmanship is absolutely badass. It was ok in oblivion but not really as good as I wish it were. In skyrim I love the fact that you can zoom in, slow time, increase damage, etc etc. It is really really fantastic.
- I love the leveling tree. The perks you can choose really do give it a fun feel of customization to the game that I feel oblivion lacked on the tree of experience. I think if oblivion had something like this, it would be more intricate than it already was.
- That said, I feel one thing skyrim could have done better would be to have left out things like endurance leveling. The fact that in oblivion you got better at running/jumping/swimming is because you did them is what made the difference between a weakling physically who shot crazy fireballs at his enemies... and someone who could swing a sword over and over and run like the dickens 24/7 from endurance. The fact that skyrim makes you choose "Magica/Health/Endurance" per level makes this very limiting.
- Enchanting is pretty cool. I do like that you can disenchant an item permanently to learn it's perks. I do feel that the enchanting you can do is pretty rad in the game. I also like that you can get a perk to recharge things as you go along and attack/kill with them, that's a neat feature and perk. very cool..
- The level cap is very cool. I at first felt that choosing perks would be limited and suck, when I realized how high the level cap is, I didn't care and am looking forward to getting a lot of perks.
- The character customization of the face, features, colors... INSANE! Very detailed, amazing. Love it.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
06-04-2012, 02:40 PM
(06-04-2012 03:42 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  I am at a loss for word at your lack of knowledge.
Dude. I really couldn't care less about your opinions of me. You want to prop up your ego by doing these miniscule self-centered attacks on those around you, please do so. The true test of a person isn't what they think of themselves. It's what others think of them. I don't think anything of you except that you are a member here. Just because I'm new here doesn't make me new to life, living it or my experiences in game playing. You have a nice day now.
06-04-2012, 02:51 PM
(06-04-2012 02:40 PM)justmetoo Wrote:  
(06-04-2012 03:42 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  I am at a loss for word at your lack of knowledge.
Dude. I really couldn't care less about your opinions of me. You want to prop up your ego by doing these miniscule self-centered attacks on those around you, please do so. The true test of a person isn't what they think of themselves. It's what others think of them. I don't think anything of you except that you are a member here. Just because I'm new here doesn't make me new to life, living it or my experiences in game playing. You have a nice day now.
What are you talking about? I was pointing out your lack of knowledge about the game not you as a person. Don't take everything so personally.

The reasons you gave t defend Skyrim are faulty. Some are personal opinion which is fine. But others are incorrect. A game in which dragons fly around and you can make things explode by yelling at them does not need to have realistic features. The game is also still suffering from many bugs and glitches. Bethesda is known for realising buggy games "cough cough Fallout new Vegas cough cough". But Skyrim is ridiculous. On the PS3 and Xbox many saved games became corrupted or unplayable due to glitches. Bethesda released a patch but they problems persist. Also. Do not try and accuse me of trying to boost my own ego here as that is a poor defense on your part.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
06-04-2012, 03:39 PM
(06-04-2012 02:51 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  
(06-04-2012 02:40 PM)justmetoo Wrote:  Dude. I really couldn't care less about your opinions of me. You want to prop up your ego by doing these miniscule self-centered attacks on those around you, please do so. The true test of a person isn't what they think of themselves. It's what others think of them. I don't think anything of you except that you are a member here. Just because I'm new here doesn't make me new to life, living it or my experiences in game playing. You have a nice day now.
What are you talking about? I was pointing out your lack of knowledge about the game not you as a person. Don't take everything so personally.

The reasons you gave t defend Skyrim are faulty. Some are personal opinion which is fine. But others are incorrect. A game in which dragons fly around and you can make things explode by yelling at them does not need to have realistic features. The game is also still suffering from many bugs and glitches. Bethesda is known for realising buggy games "cough cough Fallout new Vegas cough cough". But Skyrim is ridiculous. On the PS3 and Xbox many saved games became corrupted or unplayable due to glitches. Bethesda released a patch but they problems persist. Also. Do not try and accuse me of trying to boost my own ego here as that is a poor defense on your part.
I know what you were doing and I know why. People give their opinions all the time and most of them are to benifit themselves.

I'm 54. I've been around gaming since the 70's. I know games and the quality thereof. I've also commented that Skyrim is a new game and like anything else it has it's bug. To say I'm not knowledgeable is to elevate yourself as an expert, both on me and the topic at hand and I've stated my opinion of your opinion. Have a nice day.
07-04-2012, 07:34 AM
I once thought of playing Skyrim, but then I took an arrow to the knee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDfxde8fSg

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2012, 05:23 PM
(07-04-2012 07:34 AM)reverendjeremiah Wrote:  I once thought of playing Skyrim, but then I took an arrow to the knee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDfxde8fSg

NEW AND IMPROVED!