SMOKE

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2013, 05:00 PM
SMOKE
I had an interesting realization the other day. I had forgotten how much of a taboo has grown around smoking. At my University there is a huge smoking population in terms of percentage. Although I can't tell you how many girls smoked, I do know that of about 24 guys in the school (its a small private academy), only 4 didn't smoke at all. this year there are a few more non smokers this year of the 31 guys I think 9 don't smoke at all.
To be fair, in the smoker category I include anyone who does or will smoke. A couple of the guys will only smoke pipes on occasion, and most of us will only smoke cigarillos maybe once or twice a week. Only one guy smokes cigarettes everyday and he might go through a pack a day. But the fact remains that a majority of people at my school have no problem with smoking.
Now let's take a trip to Toronto. I recently participated in the Cyanide and Happiness "Banana bar crawl". At the first pub we were at everone decided to go and drink outside on the patio. I thought "great let's go out for a smoke". so I lit up my cigar and looked around and realized no one else was smoking of about 25 people. I also noticed some people shying away from me. so I spent the rest of my cigar down wind from everyone.

It's interesting how smoking has become so taboo in some areas especially the more liberal area. My university is in the middle of nowhere and is a private catholic institution that has a large G.K. Chesterton following. So we tend to follow G.K.'s quote that " Catholicism is the only religion where the Pipe, the Pint, and the Pew are not in contradiction".

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2013, 05:12 PM
RE: SMOKE
I blame the hype against smoking in mass media lately and all the healthy living wave. I think it's annoying actually, even more now than when I smoked, now people congratulate me about quitting and say how good for me to live a healthy life, I just stopped liking it and it was too expensive to keep smoking, I don't give a shit about healthy living

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
30-10-2013, 05:18 PM
I'm a smoker, right before I turned 21 they banned smoking in bars. I understand people not wanting to be shrouded in a cloud of second hand smoke, I'm cool with it. I'll go outside and smoke. What I don't like are the extra taxes added to the cost of cigarettes. Trying to shame people into quitting, or making it unaffordable to continue is just tacky to me.

I'm well aware of the risks, will quit when I decide to have a baby. I'm generally against laws that try to protect us from ourselves. Like I said though, I'm ok with no smoking in public places, some people choose not to smoke, and I can appreciate that, and wouldn't want to force them to inhale my bad habit.
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
30-10-2013, 05:32 PM
It's because of the hysteria about smoking causing Lung cancer.

However: http://healthland.time.com/2013/10/17/re...es-cancer/

Quote:Air pollution is giving commuters lung cancer, a medical research group and the World Health Organization said Thursday.

The International Agency for Research on Cancers (IARC), in conjunction with WHO, said that when it comes to cancer, it now considers air pollution to be even more dangerous than smoking, the Associated Press reports.

The IARC has previously determined some components of air pollution, like diesel fumes, to be carcinogens. But now they are classifying air pollution as a whole to be cancer-causing. Though the risk of contracting cancer from air pollution alone is low, the main sources of pollution are omnipresent and difficult to avoid — transportation, power plants, industrial emissions and agricultural emissions among them.

Air pollution is already known to increase the likelihood of heart and respiratory disease. The new conclusion could prompt governments to embrace stricter laws to limit air pollution.

Read more: Air Pollution Causes Lung Cancer | TIME.com http://healthland.time.com/2013/10/17/re...z2jFZmpMyl

There are many non smokers who also had no exposure to second hand smoke who contracted lung cancer.

No doubt, smoking increases the odds of getting lung cancer. And, in genetically predisposed people may be the only cause of lung cancer.

No doubt that you are better off not smoking. You are also better off not drinking, alcoholism kills too, and not just the drunk. You are also better off not driving. Sugar kills people who are predisposed to diabetes. You are better off without it.

There are a lot of good reasons to refrain from many things we do, and there are definitely a lot of good reasons not to smoke.

But a lot of the hype is just - hype.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
30-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks for reminding me of this dom, I'd heard that lung cancer rates have actually gone up since the 50s when a majority of the population regularly smoked. Makes you wonder how much of a correlation there actually is between the two.

I agree too, it probably doesn't help, but I just don't know exactly how much it harms.

It'd be interesting to look into the statistics the Truth campaign, see where they are getting their numbers.
30-10-2013, 05:49 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4265600.stm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/12...79134.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
30-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Why the fuck people defend smoking is beyond me.
We all know the health risks associated with it, and the cost of it, it stuns me to hear "oh it's all just a bunch of hype".

I use to sell cigarettes. You get people come in with WINZ vouchers (welfare benefit vouchers) with strict instructions that it be used for petrol.
So if it was $80, they'd fill up there car with $20 petrol and get the $60 in petrol vouchers (which was aloud), the problem being that there's no restriction on what you can buy with those petrol vouchers. And so $60 went straight to cigarettes.
It baffles me that when you have to go down to the welfare to get money for petrol because you can't afford it, you sure as shit shouldn't be spending that money on cigarettes.
Now though you get a little swipe card so they can't do that anymore. But it makes you wonder what is being cut for the sake of cigarettes.
I had a mate who worked at the grocery store the same time I was pumping gas. He said he had a lady come through with a bag of nappies and than for some smokes. But she didn't have enough money for both, so what went back? You bet your ass it wasn't the smokes..

I think it's bloody good that it's frowned upon to smoke. It leads to a healthier population (and not just lung cancer but every day well-being, ie: it causes shortness of breath) and it leads to money being spent on things that money should be spent on.
Anyone that says that "oh I hate how it's being frowned upon these days" is a fucking moron. That's my 2cents on the subject.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
30-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Fuck off muffs
we all know smoking is bad.
Alcohol is bad too.
Driving a car too.
We(i) dont care
my life.
My lungs.
My decision.
Do you seriously think people will quit if you tell 'm about the risks of smoking? Fuck no. They knew it before and that didnt stop 'm

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 2 users Like Lightvader's post
30-10-2013, 06:47 PM
(30-10-2013 06:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why the fuck people defend smoking is beyond me.
We all know the health risks associated with it, and the cost of it, it stuns me to hear "oh it's all just a bunch of hype".

I use to sell cigarettes. You get people come in with WINZ vouchers (welfare benefit vouchers) with strict instructions that it be used for petrol.
So if it was $80, they'd fill up there car with $20 petrol and get the $60 in petrol vouchers (which was aloud), the problem being that there's no restriction on what you can buy with those petrol vouchers. And so $60 went straight to cigarettes.
It baffles me that when you have to go down to the welfare to get money for petrol because you can't afford it, you sure as shit shouldn't be spending that money on cigarettes.
Now though you get a little swipe card so they can't do that anymore. But it makes you wonder what is being cut for the sake of cigarettes.
I had a mate who worked at the grocery store the same time I was pumping gas. He said he had a lady come through with a bag of nappies and than for some smokes. But she didn't have enough money for both, so what went back? You bet your ass it wasn't the smokes..

I think it's bloody good that it's frowned upon to smoke. It leads to a healthier population (and not just lung cancer but every day well-being, ie: it causes shortness of breath) and it leads to money being spent on things that money should be spent on.
Anyone that says that "oh I hate how it's being frowned upon these days" is a fucking moron. That's my 2cents on the subject.

tell me that when acting like a smart ass teen is frowned upon the same way smoking is and we'll see how outraged you feel about smokers

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
30-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Oh,and i stopped for 2-3 months(i backslid).
Not becouse the healtrisks,but becouse of the price.
I aint paying $5 everyday

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....