(30-10-2013 06:46 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Fuck off muffs
we all know smoking is bad.
Alcohol is bad too.
Driving a car too.
We(i) dont care
my life.
My lungs.
My decision.
Do you seriously think people will quit if you tell 'm about the risks of smoking? Fuck no. They knew it before and that didnt stop 'm

These are flawed comparisons.

Alcohol isn't bad, it has legitimate health benefits from consumption. Actual heart health and other benefits can cone from it. Binge drinking like a idiot is bad but that's not the same like any bit of smoking.

Tobacco and nicotine don't have the equivalent health benefits that contrast their harm. There may be some obscure aids that show up in studies but it's different; although psychosomatic gains come from it.

I've always liked the smell of smoke even though it's commonly hated, but beyond that it's always been a rather dumb concept in modern days.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2013, 06:13 AM
RE: SMOKE
(30-10-2013 05:00 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I had an interesting realization the other day. I had forgotten how much of a taboo has grown around smoking. At my University there is a huge smoking population in terms of percentage. Although I can't tell you how many girls smoked, I do know that of about 24 guys in the school (its a small private academy), only 4 didn't smoke at all. this year there are a few more non smokers this year of the 31 guys I think 9 don't smoke at all.
To be fair, in the smoker category I include anyone who does or will smoke. A couple of the guys will only smoke pipes on occasion, and most of us will only smoke cigarillos maybe once or twice a week. Only one guy smokes cigarettes everyday and he might go through a pack a day. But the fact remains that a majority of people at my school have no problem with smoking.
Now let's take a trip to Toronto. I recently participated in the Cyanide and Happiness "Banana bar crawl". At the first pub we were at everone decided to go and drink outside on the patio. I thought "great let's go out for a smoke". so I lit up my cigar and looked around and realized no one else was smoking of about 25 people. I also noticed some people shying away from me. so I spent the rest of my cigar down wind from everyone.

It's interesting how smoking has become so taboo in some areas especially the more liberal area. My university is in the middle of nowhere and is a private catholic institution that has a large G.K. Chesterton following. So we tend to follow G.K.'s quote that " Catholicism is the only religion where the Pipe, the Pint, and the Pew are not in contradiction".

Wow you guys haven't passed the ban yet? Damn! We've had it for awhile in my city. Enjoy it while it lasts!

We are a misunderstood people. :sadface:

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
31-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Well, here's a documented case of smoking being good for you. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-10-2013, 06:35 AM
(30-10-2013 05:42 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Thanks for reminding me of this dom, I'd heard that lung cancer rates have actually gone up since the 50s when a majority of the population regularly smoked. Makes you wonder how much of a correlation there actually is between the two.

I agree too, it probably doesn't help, but I just don't know exactly how much it harms.

It'd be interesting to look into the statistics the Truth campaign, see where they are getting their numbers.

Lung cancer rates follow exactly smoking rates - with a lag of about 20 years.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...om_NIH.svg
31-10-2013, 06:37 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2013 06:40 AM by Dom.)
I smoked as a juvenile, then I quit. Ten years later I contracted colitis. I researched it extensively.

I found that nicotine is proven to help or fix this condition, which is a real pain in the ass, literally.

I picked up smoking again.

It worked. I shall smoke or take in nicotine in a less pleasurable way til the day I die.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2014383/

There is a lot to be found on the topic on google.

Nothing that grows on this earth is all good or all bad for you. A lot of poisons are turned into medicine when properly researched.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
31-10-2013, 07:47 AM
@ Englishrose

Quote:We know we should quit, we know it is antisocial, we, if we're honest, HATE that we smoke and wish we could stop. Just like that - wake up one morning and say, yeuch, I think I'll stop today and, hey presto, there it is; we no longer smoke.

I disagree with you here since, other than the one guy in my school who smokes everyday, almost everyone could quit at anytime, but we don't because we don't see anything wrong with it. If they did they would quit. The fact is we enjoy smoking so why not smoke. Most things come with health risks attached, every bonfire you have increases your chance of lung cancer since you are in fact inhaling smoke.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
31-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Several things:
One, "other things are bad, so this doesn't matter!" is not an argument. I mean, come on.

Two, "smoking" covers a hell of a lot of ground (even if we limit it, implicitly, to tobacco smoking). Cigarettes being rather worse than most other forms. Vapour cigarettes are basically harmless, for instance.

Three, human beings are ludicrously terrible at assessing long-term risk factors. It'd be funny, if, y'know, it wasn't a major societal problem. So there's that.

Four, I do enjoy a fine cigar from time to time.

... this is my signature!
31-10-2013, 07:53 AM
(31-10-2013 07:48 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Vapour cigarettes are basically harmless, for instance.

This is not proven. There are no regulations in place. No one knows what goes into flavored vapor, there is no disclosure.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-10-2013, 08:04 AM
(31-10-2013 06:13 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  We are a misunderstood people. :sadface:

I can see the attraction - I smoked for a few years (mainly when I was at uni). It was fucking nice. I enjoyed cigs. They chilled me right the fuck out...

But it was too damn expensive. And I found it screwed up my sport no end... and I didn't like the taste. I liked menthol ones actually but some dude told me that they affect your wedding tackle so I didn't like them after that - no idea how true it was and it's not like I got much use for a functioning penis at the moment but it was still a freaky thought.

I dunno how it is for you guys but the reason I started was pretty dumb - I love blowing smoke out my mouth, never really got the hang of smoke rings but I could get them occasionally.

So anyway yeah... after a while I just kinda stopped - I was always a fairly light smoker. But it was still quite a mental effort. If I see someone with a cigarette I always have an urge to go bum one... I'm frankly amazed at how addicting the stuff is 'cos I haven't smoked for a few years now... and it's still this strong an urge...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
31-10-2013, 10:48 AM
(31-10-2013 07:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(31-10-2013 07:48 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Vapour cigarettes are basically harmless, for instance.

This is not proven. There are no regulations in place. No one knows what goes into flavored vapor, there is no disclosure.

I've not exactly perused academia on the subject. That's merely what I've heard.

The risk inherent to the vector is an entirely different issue to the regulation of contents, though.

... this is my signature!