STOP LOOKING!!! We found a Thinking Atheist!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
09-05-2010, 09:11 PM

STOP LOOKING!!! We found a Thinking Atheist!
He is what I call a Thinking Atheist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituari...-Flew.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Flew
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2010, 09:29 PM
RE: STOP LOOKING!!! We found a Thinking Atheist!
Woah woah woah! Stop the presses! One atheist changed his mind! We must all be wrong!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Hm... I think a better description would be a fearful theist. He was 81 when he denounced atheism, I can't really blame him. It's easy for me to not fear death, I'm young, and will (hopefully) live many more years. He was older and nearing death. I've heard what he had to say, and it's not impressive. All things considered, I think the safest conclusion I can draw is that he feared death and the unknown. Of course, I'm sure you will disagree, but there is the conclusion I have come to.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
09-05-2010, 09:53 PM

(09-05-2010 09:29 PM)Green Wrote:  Woah woah woah! Stop the presses! One atheist changed his mind! We must all be wrong!

Didn't say that, said I found "A" thinking atheist!
10-05-2010, 12:20 AM
(09-05-2010 09:53 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Didn't say that, said I found "A" thinking atheist!

No, no, not you, the article itself... It seemed a little weighted on the theist side of the debate... Maybe it was just me, I don't know, oh well. I'm going to have to agree with Ashley on this one, I'm not really impressed by his sudden conversion, his decision didn't come off as being entirely rational, and it was probably fear.

Old people do silly things sometimes, oh well, I suppose the hope of some eternal heaven or other such silly thing was worth more to him than the reputation of his work, which will likely be shot down in intellectual circles now that he's turned his back on his own work and belief system. Oh well, always hurts to lose one of the pack, can't say I care much though, if he was really worth anything he would have stuck to his guns to the bitter end.

10-05-2010, 01:42 AM

He was a philosopher yet he clearly wasn't too bright.

Philosophy is interesting because people attempt to come up with answers without letting their own minds receive outside insight.

I doubt this man new much about biology.
(10-05-2010 12:20 AM)Green Wrote:  
(09-05-2010 09:53 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Didn't say that, said I found "A" thinking atheist!

No, no, not you, the article itself... It seemed a little weighted on the theist side of the debate... Maybe it was just me, I don't know, oh well. I'm going to have to agree with Ashley on this one, I'm not really impressed by his sudden conversion, his decision didn't come off as being entirely rational, and it was probably fear.

Old people do silly things sometimes, oh well, I suppose the hope of some eternal heaven or other such silly thing was worth more to him than the reputation of his work, which will likely be shot down in intellectual circles now that he's turned his back on his own work and belief system. Oh well, always hurts to lose one of the pack, can't say I care much though, if he was really worth anything he would have stuck to his guns to the bitter end.

It definitely will slow down the progress of atheism. However that's all it will do, just slow it down for now.

Nothing compared to the Naoh's Ark Hoax =P
10-05-2010, 03:36 AM

So the only time an atheist can be considered thinking is when he "discovers" a god?
10-05-2010, 03:51 AM
The interesting part is that he didn't convert to Chistianity or Islam or any mainstream religion, as stated here:
Quote:Flew's conversion did not embrace such concepts as Heaven, good and evil or the afterlife – let alone divine intervention in human affairs. His God was strictly minimalist – very different from "the monstrous oriental despots of the religions of Christianity and Islam", as he liked to call them.

It is only said that he came to the conclusion that there might be a god. Of course, that doesn't mean anything; 'there might be' doesn't equal 'there definitely is', and admitting a possibility doesn't make that a certainty. After all, he didn't make any sort of breakthrough discovery that would lead him to this conclusion. It doesn't go anywhere beyond mere speculation. However, if it does mean something, it is that Martin did not even win that 'extra-point' for a former outspoken atheist converting to his religion.

Nice try, Martin, but I'm afraid this counts as yet another failure on your part.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2010, 04:25 AM

Bravo Jup.
10-05-2010, 05:02 AM

I think martin just got a bit over excited...

Someone get him some kleenex...and a mop. Confused