Poll: Should we ban SUV's?
No ban.
Ban all SUV's from public roads.
Ban private SUV's from public roads, but allow police, fire, etc.
None of the above.
[Show Results]

SUV Rights Acknowledgement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2012, 06:00 AM
RE: SUV Rights Acknowledgement
HA!

I have a little RAV4 (hardly counts as an SUV) but I hate it... All kinds of blind spots that I never had in a car. But it's the only thing my dogs' crates fit in. Once the big dog passes away (he's 12 1/2 but seems to plan to live forever) I'm getting a Matrix or something like that.

My Year Of the Bible - A blog on reading the Bible

Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.
- Terry Pratchett
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2012, 06:37 AM
(14-08-2012 08:00 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The argument should be, Ban HUMMERS since they actually are a military style vehicle but mainstreamed for practical use.. which is the exact comparison counterpart.

I was trying to be as precise as the anti-gun "military style weapons"; i.e. not very.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-08-2012, 06:52 AM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2012 07:05 AM by Red Celt.)
(14-08-2012 11:12 AM)Chas Wrote:  We are not going to ban motor vehicles even though they kill tens of thousands of people every year; far more than guns.

Yes, but motor vehicles aren't designed to kill... oh, wait. I see what you're doing, here.

[Image: GunsGreat.jpg]

Still banging that drum.

You forgot to mention Switzerland. Again.
15-08-2012, 09:24 AM
I think its a good analogy.

SUVs with small Thermonuclear missle firing capabilities........ id ban them.

Huge Nuclear powered cannons that fires SUVs as ammunition..... id ban them.

Id say on a serious note though if people wish to ban SUVs over safety then consider banning light, high horsepowered sportscars.

I do scratch my head that over in the UK the maximum speed limit is 70mph yet the cars you buy normally have a 120-150 average top end speed Confused

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
15-08-2012, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2012 07:46 PM by BnW.)
Well, seeing as how I own an SUV, this is going to be fun. I have a gas guzzling, brand spanking new (bought it on December) Toyota Highlander. And, I absolutely love it. It gets ~ 18 mpg, which really, really sucks. When we bought it the sticker said it can get up to 24 on high way but I bought it in Atlanta and drove it back to Philly - pretty much 900 miles of highway - and no way it got 24. I may have gotten 20 mpg on a tank of gas, but I doubt it.

But, we transport kids, dogs, hockey equipment, and we needed a big vehicle. Lucky for me, I live in an era when the Suburban Assault Vehicle is an option.

Oh, for whomever mentioned "mini van", they have their own issues. Much of the weight sits in the front which, I think, makes them less safe than an SUV (to the passengers, obviously not to the other cars around you). The mileage on the mini vans is not dramatically better either. We looked at the Sienna as well and the difference in gas mileage was not significant.

As for the danger factor, they are unbelievable safe to be in (provided you don't flip the stupid thing) but you really don't want to be an accident with on. If you are driving a normal car and crash with an SUV, there is a pretty good chance you are not walking away from it. The worst part about them is you get a bunch of idiots who think that 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive means they can act like Evil Knievel and snow, ice, etc. don't impact them. Living in the northeastern US, it is important to have a vehicle that drives well in snow but I really worry about every other schmuck on the road in an SUV when the weather gets bad.

Anyway, yes, I own a Highlander. I'm killing the environment. Take your best shots at me.

Oh, almost forgot: on the obvious attempt to say we should ban cars, SUVs or whatever because more people die from them each year then from guns, all I can say is that is a ridiculous argument. Not only are there dramatically more cars than guns, people drive cars pretty much every single day. Gun ownership doesn't nearly compare to car/SUV ownership and gun usage is not even on the same planet as car/SUV usage. It's a completely ridiculous comparison. It would be like saying that people should be able to own nuclear weapons because fewer people die from nukes each year than guns.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
15-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Your vehicle sucks arse! Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
15-08-2012, 08:04 PM
(15-08-2012 07:47 PM)aurora Wrote:  Your vehicle sucks arse! Big Grin

Funny thing about that. Before I even made the first payment on in, my wife was hit from behind by some jackwad who was playing with his cell phone. Did about $3,000 worth of damage, mostly cosmetic, to a brand new car but his car was destroyed. I mean the front end was just annihilated. And, he hit her doing like 20.

The best part was the schmuck was not insured. So, I was out $500 out of pocket and my carrier had to pay for the repairs. My wife had his number and called him and complained about the insurance. He insisted he was insured (he was wrong) and promised if he was not he would pay us out of pocket. Never happened. And, I figured a guy who couldn't pay his monthly insurance premium and now had to buy a new car wasn't going to have a spare $500. There is no getting blood from a stone so I don't make a huge issue of it. I think my insurance carrier sued him for the money, though. I wish them luck collecting.

I'm not sure if that has anything about my vehicle sucking arse, though. Maybe it has more to do with my karma. Or is it caramel? I hope it's caramel. And with nuget, although I have no idea what nuget is.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
15-08-2012, 08:16 PM
I was the one that mentioned minivans (unless someone else did too). As far as them being safe is concerned, they typically score well on tests, so.... Mass wins, but that's the problem - you get idiots with massive vehicles that drive carelessly because the only thing important on the road is them. I say, reverse the safety aspect - everyone drives with a spike instead of an airbag. Then you'll see safer driving habits. And the average speed on the freeway will be 10mph...

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 2 users Like Azaraith's post
15-08-2012, 08:18 PM
(15-08-2012 08:16 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  I say, reverse the safety aspect - everyone drives with a spike instead of an airbag. Then you'll see safer driving habits. And the average speed on the freeway will be 10mph...

Have you been watching BBC's QI? Smile
15-08-2012, 11:04 PM
We have size and weight limits for cars and trucks now.
Banning a "type" of vehicle makes no sense.
Every family situation is different.
What if a family has 12 kids. Do they now have to drive three cars everywhere they go as a family? Get a special permit?
Or you could just ban having 12 kids.
What else do you want to ban that you don't like?
Impossing your morals and world views on other people are we?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.