Poll: Should we ban SUV's?
No ban.
Ban all SUV's from public roads.
Ban private SUV's from public roads, but allow police, fire, etc.
None of the above.
[Show Results]

SUV Rights Acknowledgement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2012, 06:56 AM
RE: SUV Rights Acknowledgement
(15-08-2012 11:04 PM)Thomas Wrote:  We have size and weight limits for cars and trucks now.
Banning a "type" of vehicle makes no sense.
Every family situation is different.
What if a family has 12 kids. Do they now have to drive three cars everywhere they go as a family? Get a special permit?
Or you could just ban having 12 kids.
What else do you want to ban that you don't like?
Impossing your morals and world views on other people are we?

The OP was A Modest Proposal.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2012, 04:27 AM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2012 04:31 AM by Filox.)
Ah, my favourite hate-class, the SUV... Such a waste of petrol. Here is how I see it, SUVs are just for showing, but not all of them, most of them. Some are actually good cars. If you need a lot of room and more that 5 passengers, there is a van option. If you need a terrain vehicle, you can always get a terrain vehicle.

You see, most people think that SUV are off-road vehicles, but only a small number of them can actually handle some dirt. BMW X5 is a great example of completely missing the point of a terrain vehicle. They made a huge vehicle, made it look like it can handle anything, then they put big, aluminium plates and low profile road tyres. That was enough to completely destroy any off-road abilities this SUV could have. So that is a HUGE minus for SUV. Hummer is 10 times worse than X5, just horrible, with it's huge weight and petrol consumption, it is maybe the worst of all SUVs.

Then there is the safety. People think that if you have a huge car, that they are safe. Then their kids learn how to drive and the smart parents (again) think that their big SUV will be safe for their children. They forget a few basic things... SUVs (except Cayenne and Tuareg, they can adjust) have high centre of gravity, that makes them a bit less stable; they tend to have big, wide tyres, that makes them less stable and with less grip on wet and ice surfaces, as well as any kind of off-road; they tend to have much more mass than regular cars, or even vans, that makes their breaking distance longer; being a 4x4 does not help your stopping power, it makes it worse, more weight - less breaking power... Then there is the whole power problem, usually these SUVs have a lot of horse-power in engines, that makes the SUV very dangerous for an inexperienced driver to drive.

The simple thing about SUVs is that they are not normal cars to drive.

Hummer H2 and H3 are NOT military vehicles, only H1 was and still is. H2 and H3 are completely civil vehicles, don't confuse this.

If you need a car for rough terrains there is not much you can buy... Land Rover Defender and Lada Niva are the last two TRUE terrain vehicles, with full manual gearboxes, no electronics and design that didn't change for the last 60 years, because there is nothing to change.

Some of the SUVs are clinging to the "terrain"title, but all the electronics (and bad choice of tyres) is killing the real terrain work. They are Mercedes G (NOT GL) class, Range Rover, Toyota Rav4, Nissan Terrano, Mitsubishi Pajero, VW Tuareg and Porsche Cayenne.

There are some strange cool cars, that can still be called true terrain vehicles, small Suzuki Samurai or Suzuki Jimny, as well as Land Rover Discovery.

Everything that Dodge, Ford, Cadillac and GM are producing is horrible and should be avoided at all cost. When it comes to SUV class, not the rest.

Am I for banning? No, I do not believe in banning cars, people are retarded, they would start driving trucks, real big ones, with trailers. That would be even worse.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
24-08-2012, 01:25 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2012 02:09 AM by Filox.)
[Image: I%20love%20my%20SUV.jpg]

[Image: Niva_WRRC_sm.jpg]

[Image: Niva_Tibet_sm.jpg]

[Image: Niva_North_Pole_sm.jpg]

[Image: SHTF_blue_sm.jpg]

[Image: SHTF_bob_sm.jpg]

[Image: scorpions_and_twinkies_sm.jpg]

[Image: Make_friends_sm.jpg]

[Image: Make_friends_3_sm.jpg]

[Image: broken_down_sm.jpg]

[Image: AK47_sm.jpg]

[Image: this_way_up_sm.jpg]

[Image: Please_roll_me_over_sm.jpg]

[Image: Land_Rover_recovery_unit_sm.jpg]

[Image: bumper_sticker_Siberia.jpg]
24-08-2012, 02:13 AM
[Image: the_prisoner_sm.jpg]

[Image: best_value_4x4_sm.jpg]

[Image: Anti-theft_device_sm.jpg]

[Image: genuine_parts_sm.jpg]

[Image: its_a_jeep_thing_sm.jpg]

[Image: Bigboy_NZ_LadaNiva_1RR.jpg]

[Image: TWINE_Niva_logo_sm.jpg]

-Hunter S. Thompson
25-08-2012, 12:47 AM
I love my Dodge Journey. It comfortably seats 4 adults, two child safety seats and my 70 pound Boxer / German Shepherd Dog mix and it gets decent mileage for an SUV on the highway. Its a little bit under powered but its much better than the Subaru Forester that I traded in on it. If I need power I'll just drive my Corvette. Before the hippie treehuggers go off on the Vette, Its got a 6 liter LS2 V8 that puts out 405 horse power, it can do 0 to 60 miles per hour in 4.3 seconds and it will do a standing quarter mile in 12.5 seconds. It has a 6 speed Automatic Transmission with a manual paddle shift mode, Heads Up display, Heated Leather seats and it gets 32 miles to the gallon on the highway and I got a low emissions vehicle tax credit for buying it. Laughat

But seriously though, I bought an SUV because I have a fiance with a two year old and a 6 month old and a 70lb dog to haul around with me and no one makes a family car that I could fit all of them along with a friend or two in that I like in my price range. The Journey is small enough to be comfortable to drive but it has 3rd row seating, gets decent mileage and I can haul the kids, dog and a few friends around or pile camping gear in the back and head to the mountains when i want to. If you don't like my SUV then I recommend you not buy oneSmile
[+] 1 user Likes SharkByte's post
25-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Yesterday evening, when exiting my local Sainsburys with a couple of bags of shopping (or, "wi ma messages", in the local vernacular) I encountered an SUV in the carpark. Now, this was quite possibly my first close-up encounter with such a beast... and my attention was mostly grabbed by the wheel-trims spinning on a stationary vehicle. I thought those things were only purchased by gangster rappers... and there's not many of them in this quiet corner of Scotland.

What was most astounding to me was the sheer size of the fucking thing. It was basically a military vehicle. Are Americans that concerned about IEDs wherever they go? I mean... as modes of transportation go, why take half of the mineral deposits of an iron mine with you?

Excessive and OTT.

Oh, it was a Cadillac Escalade, btw.
27-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Ah Cadillac Escalade, the worst of the worst...

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson
27-08-2012, 06:34 PM
(14-08-2012 11:30 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  - they're for whacking at things. .

Big Grin

They suck, but my Gwynnies has one, so... :/

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
28-08-2012, 12:14 AM
You Gwynnies should get a Lada Niva... To meet new friends easily...

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson
28-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Mandate a specific SUV driver's license.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post