Sacred Cow "book summary report" idea..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Sacred Cow "book summary report" idea..
All,

I was considering doing a chapter by chapter brief opinion post...or "book summary report" for Seth's new book Sacred Cows like I did for Why evolution is true by Coyne, J. that is in my resource thread. A small favorite excerpt from each chapter with my summary and overall opinion.

I am asking for two reasons:

One, I don't want to do it if Seth has a problem with it (looking at you Stark Raving to field that question) but then from what I understand Seth doesn't engage the forums on any level, and allows the admins to run it on his behalf. I am sure it would be a positive review as I like Seth's work.

Two, Is anyone interested in me doing so? I enjoy reading, thinking and regurgitating but if no one is interested in reading it why bother right?

If those two things happen in a positive manner than I will ensure I will put a warning at the beginning of the post for those who havent bought or read the book yet and intend to. I will also put the chapter excerpts in a spoiler format for the same reason....thoughts?

Feedback please.

Can you tell my wife is gone for yet another week and even with work, college and gym time I am bored? Weeping

Anyway reply here.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2015, 03:37 PM
RE: Sacred Cow "book summary report" idea..
Just from what I know of Seth listening to his podcast, I can't imagine he'd have an issue with this. It wouldn't be like you were posting his entire book on the site for free, it'd be an in depth book review. I say go for it.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
15-08-2015, 03:38 PM
As you and I discussed...I have read the book.

I like his first one better Blush

I am afraid that my expectation may have been too high. Sheesh - I don't want to be booted from the forum for not loving the book.

I am in the process trying to decide if I should go see Seth and Aron Ra speak tomorrow morning.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
15-08-2015, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2015 03:51 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(15-08-2015 03:37 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Just from what I know of Seth listening to his podcast, I can't imagine he'd have an issue with this. It wouldn't be like you were posting his entire book on the site for free, it'd be an in depth book review. I say go for it.

My thoughts as well, and I would ensure any excerpts from the book were extremely brief, like a funny sentence here and there. Unsure

Thanks

(15-08-2015 03:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  As you and I discussed...I have read the book.

I like his first one better Blush

I am afraid that my expectation may have been too high. Sheesh - I don't want to be booted from the forum for not loving the book.

I am in the process trying to decide if I should go see Seth and Aron Ra speak tomorrow morning.

I am working my way through it at the moment, in fact just started it an hour ago Unsure and it is light hearted to put it... lightly. But that seems to be the intent. Oh, I would love the opportunity to meet those guys, but it ins't like I am a fanboy or anything, I don't even listen to the podcasts, never have the time...or dont make the time. My wife is hooked on the podcasts, and I think she is in love with his voice Laugh out load

I don't mind supporting his efforts as I believe strongly in the cause Thumbsup

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
16-08-2015, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2015 10:50 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
So I got the nod from the Admins, and even emailed Seth for any copyrights issues and to seek his concurrence. 10 mins later I got a reply:

"Fine with me. Many thanks.
Seth Andrews"

although I didn't get quite the level of response I was hoping for, I am going to endeavor to do it anyway. I have a case study for college due tonight, and I am taking another day off from the gym due to injury, so time for coffee, my speech to text program and curl up on my laptop for a book review...

[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
16-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Done, and posted under literature here:

Now I have a headache lol, time to order dinner. I hope you enjoy.

16-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Done, and posted under literature here:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid833796

Now I have a headache lol, time to order dinner. I hope you enjoy.