Sacred undergarments not just for the Mormons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2015, 10:26 AM
Sacred undergarments not just for the Mormons
I'm currently listening to the audio book of Sacred Cows. Seth missed the opportunity to include mention of Tallit Katan – The Sacred Undergarment of Judaism.

This is a rectangular cloth with a hole cut in the middle. Then there are four fringes or "tzitzit" at each corner.

Orthodox and Hassidic (Haredi) Jewish men wear this garment under their street clothes but above an undershirt. (The Tallit Katan is not supposed to touch the skin.)

The four tzitzit extend out from under the clothing.

It is said that showing these tzitzit is a way of identifying a man as Jewish. But there are plenty of other indicators including a kippah (yarmulke), payot (sidelocks), and a full beard.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2015, 11:18 AM
RE: Sacred undergarments not just for the Mormons
Symbols, symbols.
Even atheists want/need some symbols: flag, motto, hymn, etc.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
06-09-2015, 11:29 AM
(06-09-2015 10:26 AM)sandeecohen Wrote:  I'm currently listening to the audio book of Sacred Cows. Seth missed the opportunity to include mention of Tallit Katan – The Sacred Undergarment of Judaism.

This is a rectangular cloth with a hole cut in the middle. Then there are four fringes or "tzitzit" at each corner.

Orthodox and Hassidic (Haredi) Jewish men wear this garment under their street clothes but above an undershirt. (The Tallit Katan is not supposed to touch the skin.)

It is said that showing these tzitzit is a way of identifying a man as Jewish. But there are plenty of other indicators including a kippah (yarmulke), payot (sidelocks), and a full beard.

i've got some magic, lace panties, does that count? Kiss

Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 8 users Like dancefortwo's post
06-09-2015, 11:31 AM
(06-09-2015 11:29 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(06-09-2015 10:26 AM)sandeecohen Wrote:  I'm currently listening to the audio book of Sacred Cows. Seth missed the opportunity to include mention of Tallit Katan – The Sacred Undergarment of Judaism.

i've got some magic, lace panties, does that count? Kiss

Tongue

I do too--and the symbol is Victoria's Secret. Do you think it's a sign??
[+] 10 users Like jennybee's post
06-09-2015, 12:07 PM
(06-09-2015 11:31 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-09-2015 11:29 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  i've got some magic, lace panties, does that count? Kiss

Tongue

I do too--and the symbol is Victoria's Secret. Do you think it's a sign??

It must be, because I've got the same V S sign on mine.

V. S. Victory in the Sack. Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 7 users Like dancefortwo's post
06-09-2015, 12:17 PM
I'm glad to see that we can treat a topic with respect and have a serious conversation around here. Angel

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like houseofcantor's post
06-09-2015, 11:58 PM

I never understood the argument against Mormon underwear. Whether you excuse the items as religious or cultural in nature, one group of people wearing these things doesn't affect anyone else. More often than not, it's a personal choice to wear these items, and not even a result of social pressure. -I will change my stance if I find out that people's undergarments are being inspected for compliance against their wishes, or if people are being barred from participating in their religious services for failing to comply with religious attire expectations.

If a man wants to wear a tallit, or a Mormon feels better in their church-sanctioned undergarments, then just remember that they're not hurting anyone else.

And while secular people may be making fun of religious people for their way of dress, religious people are not returning the favor. Walk into any shul, Sandee, and you'll find a basket of kippot and a rack of tallit because they know that not everyone is wearing these items, and these people are still welcome to daven with the minyan. They'll even loan you their tefillin and they won't care if you don't have a beard or payot.

... No, I just don't understand making fun of people's religious attire.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
07-09-2015, 12:13 AM
I'm perfectly comfortable making fun of magic underwear, whether I'm ridiculing it at work or at home or out to dinner with friends. Typically I'm wearing my non-magical, sexy underwear, that certainly isn't laughable (I, too, am acquainted with Ms. Victoria's Secret) when I find myself with a partner wearing nothing but my underwear. If I start stripping you down and find magic Mormon long undies, I'm gonna laugh or look at you like you're fucking insane, it's gonna ruin the moment, and nobody's getting laid. Shame.

As far as religious people not making fun of underwear - these are the same people that practice bigotry and slut shaming and are why I have to stay in the closet about how I think their beliefs are a hot steaming pile of bullshit.

What part of wearing magic Mormon underwear is not social pressure? Their groupies think if you don't wear it you're sinning against a magical sky fairy and that you've defiled yourself, you dirty little ho. Give me a break. Rolleyes

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 11 users Like Nurse's post
07-09-2015, 12:36 AM
(06-09-2015 11:58 PM)Aliza Wrote:  ... No, I just don't understand making fun of people's religious attire.

Er... 'cos it's funny? I mean... it's just another of the weirdnesses of religion to us.

It's like... if you guys made a virtue out of walking backwards, do you really think we wouldn't laugh? To us, you guys are walking backwards for no reason. Just your God has instructed you too. But it's difficult and inconvenient to walk backwards, so you have all kinds of things like little head mirrors (tastefully decorated with scripture verses) to assist you.

It's like that pic of a sabbath elevator someone posted the other day, that stops on every floor *just to prevent the devout from having to exercise their little finger one tiny bit* because they might want to go up or down a floor on the sabbath, but *LORD* forbid that they should ever press a lift button. Rolleyes Why wouldn't one who does not have your faith laugh at something like that?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
07-09-2015, 06:34 AM
(06-09-2015 11:58 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

I never understood the argument against Mormon underwear. Whether you excuse the items as religious or cultural in nature, one group of people wearing these things doesn't affect anyone else. More often than not, it's a personal choice to wear these items, and not even a result of social pressure. -I will change my stance if I find out that people's undergarments are being inspected for compliance against their wishes, or if people are being barred from participating in their religious services for failing to comply with religious attire expectations.

If a man wants to wear a tallit, or a Mormon feels better in their church-sanctioned undergarments, then just remember that they're not hurting anyone else.

And while secular people may be making fun of religious people for their way of dress, religious people are not returning the favor. Walk into any shul, Sandee, and you'll find a basket of kippot and a rack of tallit because they know that not everyone is wearing these items, and these people are still welcome to daven with the minyan. They'll even loan you their tefillin and they won't care if you don't have a beard or payot.

... No, I just don't understand making fun of people's religious attire.
If you aren't wearing your garments when attending or participating in temple ceremonies, then you're barred from taking part in the Mormon makeshift Freemason rituals (a form of restriction/qualification).

Also, I would remind anyone who feels that religious people don't look down on secular attire, of the endless barrage of chastity talk on a multitude of programming (religious/nonreligious), and the shaming of women both young and old for embracing the beauty of their shapes and sizes.

When I speak of these biases, it's coming strictly from my observance of American media.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post