Saddest part in a movie?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2013, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 12:45 PM by Nappa.)
Saddest part in a movie?
Armageddon, when Owen Wilson (aka: Oscar) died.

Sean Bean, every movie.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nappa's post
01-02-2013, 10:48 AM
RE: Saddest part in a movie?
The scene in The Shawshank Redemption where Brooks hangs himself gets me every time.

And, although not a move, the whole episode "Jurassic Bark" for Futurama. I have never cried when watching a cartoon...until I saw that damn episode. I might tear up thinking about it.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
01-02-2013, 11:01 AM
I don't know but those commercials with abused animals and that sarah whatever her last name is song make me very sad. For some reason I could watch war and genocide movies all day but abused animals get me lol I know wtf right?
[+] 1 user Likes panterasr9's post
01-02-2013, 11:37 AM
(01-02-2013 10:48 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The scene in The Shawshank Redemption where Brooks hangs himself gets me every time.

And, although not a move, the whole episode "Jurassic Bark" for Futurama. I have never cried when watching a cartoon...until I saw that damn episode. I might tear up thinking about it.
Yeah the Brooks one was kind of harsh, as for jurassic bark... and the cruelty to animals commercials. I can see how that would be sad. As for not flinching for human suffering, the large amounts of suffering in the world causes us to be apathetic towards them unless they're dramatized in some way like say 9/11 or the holocaust. So much drama. 2,000 americans died in the events of 9/11. Over 100,000 civilians (maybe even 200,000 since my statistics are old) have died in the middle east as a direct result of this war, that's not including those with limbs blown off or other serious injuries. Many people just shrug off the 100,000 for the 2,000. Why? Because the 2,000 has been dramatized, and people are expected to 'feel sad' otherwise they're bad people.

Ah pardon, I got a little carried away, I was just trying to explain why you feel sadder for animals than humans. Sorry about getting lost in thought like that.

01-02-2013, 11:54 AM
I just watched the Star Trek Next Generation episode where Sarek (Spock's Vulcan father) loses his mind. I cried real tears.

I think I was depressed for a week after watching Million Dollar Baby.

E.T. still makes me cry.

Seven Pounds.

And, though I might have to join the Rainbow Parade when I admit this, Beaches made me cry.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 3 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
01-02-2013, 12:10 PM

Weeping

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
01-02-2013, 12:41 PM
(01-02-2013 12:10 PM)bemore Wrote:  

Weeping
Yeah that was pretty sad, probably would have made me cry if I was a christian still or believed in some form of afterlife. Thank goodness the dead stay dead though and don't haunt us. They would know truths that even I would have never fathomed before, from the beginning of our species.
01-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Hah, that's an interesting point I haven't ever thought about. Why are all ghosts fairly recent? Wouldn't it be cool to see a cro-magnon ghost? Yeah, I live in the wrong part of the world, but I would think that caveman ghost sightings would be world news if they were happening.

Would a caveman ghost be wearing clothing? I mean, when people see ghosts they're always dressed in something, almost as if their clothing died with them and they're somehow clad in the spirit of their dead wardrobe. Would cavemen dress their ghosts?

Would caveman poltergeists rattle chains that they lacked the technology to make when they lived?

Heck, forget cavemen, I haven't ever even heard of Sumerian ghosts or Roman ghosts or Babylonian ghosts or Aztec ghosts or any other ancient civilization.

Do ghosts have expiration dates? No pun intended, since they're already "expired". Maybe ghosts have a short half-life?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 3 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
01-02-2013, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 01:33 PM by Nappa.)
(01-02-2013 01:09 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Hah, that's an interesting point I haven't ever thought about. Why are all ghosts fairly recent? Wouldn't it be cool to see a cro-magnon ghost? Yeah, I live in the wrong part of the world, but I would think that caveman ghost sightings would be world news if they were happening.

Would a caveman ghost be wearing clothing? I mean, when people see ghosts they're always dressed in something, almost as if their clothing died with them and they're somehow clad in the spirit of their dead wardrobe. Would cavemen dress their ghosts?

Would caveman poltergeists rattle chains that they lacked the technology to make when they lived?

Heck, forget cavemen, I haven't ever even heard of Sumerian ghosts or Roman ghosts or Babylonian ghosts or Aztec ghosts or any other ancient civilization.

Do ghosts have expiration dates? No pun intended, since they're already "expired". Maybe ghosts have a short half-life?
Oh don't worry, the ancients had 'ghosts', in fact if you've ever read Shakespeare you'll meet Julius Ceasar's apparition. Plus the Greeks did believe in Hades which was a 'ghost like' afterworld. In the Odyssey, Odysseus actually meets Achilles in hades which would be the equivalent to meeting a ghost since he was already dead and everything. So yes, the ancients did have 'ghosts' we just don't hear about them today because they're outdated and not of our close relatives for charlatans to make money off of Wink

REALLY SHOULD BE CALLED THE POE MASTER RIGHT NOW! It would SO FIT!

I suppose Purgatory was stolen from the greek afterlife of Hades, just like Angels were originally a Roman Pagan thing if I recall correctly. Purgatory being the equivalent of the 'ghost world' as they are not in heaven or hell. As for exorcisms, they're really nothing new, as much as I hate to quote the bible, there is the story of Jesus exorcising the demons from the man into the pigs.
01-02-2013, 01:46 PM
(01-02-2013 01:20 PM)Nappa Wrote:  
(01-02-2013 01:09 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Hah, that's an interesting point I haven't ever thought about. Why are all ghosts fairly recent? Wouldn't it be cool to see a cro-magnon ghost? Yeah, I live in the wrong part of the world, but I would think that caveman ghost sightings would be world news if they were happening.

Oh don't worry, the ancients had 'ghosts', in fact if you've ever read Shakespeare you'll meet Julius Ceasar's apparition. Plus the Greeks did believe in Hades which was a 'ghost like' afterworld. In the Odyssey, Odysseus actually meets Achilles in hades which would be the equivalent to meeting a ghost since he was already dead and everything. So yes, the ancients did have 'ghosts' we just don't hear about them today because they're outdated and not of our close relatives for charlatans to make money off of Wink

REALLY SHOULD BE CALLED THE POE MASTER RIGHT NOW! It would SO FIT!

I suppose Purgatory was stolen from the greek afterlife of Hades, just like Angels were originally a Roman Pagan thing if I recall correctly. Purgatory being the equivalent of the 'ghost world' as they are not in heaven or hell. As for exorcisms, they're really nothing new, as much as I hate to quote the bible, there is the story of Jesus exorcising the demons from the man into the pigs.
When the gallant little boy dies in Les Miserables. Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post