Saddest picture of the century.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2012, 12:24 AM
RE: Saddest picture of the century.
Failure to act to save an innocents life is almost as low as one can go. Those who merely standby and take pictures while doing nothing else are useless trash. Do not give me crap about not being involved. If you're human you're involved. Not wanting or refusing to do anything makes you lowlife scum and you deserves worse than what you failed to stop.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hamata k's post
02-02-2012, 03:55 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2012 04:25 AM by arcticspear.)
(02-02-2012 12:24 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  Failure to act to save an innocents life is almost as low as one can go. Those who merely standby and take pictures while doing nothing else are useless trash. Do not give me crap about not being involved. If you're human you're involved. Not wanting or refusing to do anything makes you lowlife scum and you deserves worse than what you failed to stop.

Ok hotshot! What have you done for mankind lately? As long as your opinion is so important, let's measure your worth and see how you pan out. How involved are you?
(31-01-2012 01:09 PM)BnW Wrote:  I don't know anything about this picture or the photographer so I can't even guess as to why he may have killed himself so won't comment on that. What I will say is that absolutely stunning picture can do more to raise awareness, calls to action and ultimately save lives (not one but many) than anything he could have done to help that one small child.

BnW, you make a lot of great points in your comments. Kevin took his own life for reasons that are personal only to him, but these feelings are quite mutual for many photojournalist that find themselves in places where people, including themselves, are helpless in every way. It sucks! We have to live with it. Unfortunately, there are people like Hamata K that have probably never been in the situations that Kevin and I have faced; ramblings of an armchair preacher.

Some people think it's easy to stand-by and take pictures and do nothing. As I said before, photojournalists are not paparazzi. There's a big difference between us and the guys that were involved in the death of Princess Di. I can tell stories about Christiane Amanpour that would curl your toes. She was one of the most heartless people I have ever met.

Then there are the few that can tell you the whole story of what happened when this guy took the shots, although they weren't there, nor do they know the 'rest of the story'... Pathetic. Some people just want to believe what they want to believe whether the facts are laid before them or not.

Each year, photojournalists and journalists alike lose their lives trying to bring the information - not just the story - but the information to those who may give a damn. The risks of journalists far outweigh the generosity shown by western civilizations.

I have gotten to the point where I can no longer look at many of the shots I took in Sudan, Somalia or Afghanistan. Even therapy doesn't help much. I found myself in the same frame of mind that Kevin was in before he took his life. This is it!!! This is life and there's no hereafter to take the pain away.
(31-01-2012 04:17 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Because numeous stories on the photo claim it was 2-3km away. And it's irrelevant whether they could have helped her or not. We will never know because he left her there. Also, who cares how many starving children like this there are? Becuase there are thousands more means it's okay to be inhuman to this child?

Germanyt... Seeing that I was there when this photo was taken, may I ask who your source was that you gleaned your information regarding a village 2-3km away?

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea
[+] 3 users Like arcticspear's post
02-02-2012, 04:47 AM
(02-02-2012 03:55 AM)arcticspear Wrote:  
(02-02-2012 12:24 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  Failure to act to save an innocents life is almost as low as one can go. Those who merely standby and take pictures while doing nothing else are useless trash. Do not give me crap about not being involved. If you're human you're involved. Not wanting or refusing to do anything makes you lowlife scum and you deserves worse than what you failed to stop.

Ok hotshot! What have you done for mankind lately? As long as your opinion is so important, let's measure your worth and see how you pan out. How involved are you?

Of course target me instead of the statement. Typical. However. I will indulge your question and tell you what I have done to help those around me.

I donate to various charities on a regular basis. I've been known to purchase things for people who lack the funds to buy it themselves. Three times now I have thrown myself into fights to help complete strangers form being beat up. I stand up for those around me who can't. Why do I do these things? Because it is right. This world is full of people who stand around and watch as horrors happen. It's disgusting. The world would be better off without them.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 2 users Like Hamata k's post
02-02-2012, 06:34 AM
What Hamata k says
+
pictures like that are made by those who will take your donation and only 5% of the money you sent will arrive in the place you donated for - you think that helps a lot?
Better: donating THINGS
Can't live in africa and fuck up my life to help people whose standard of life will not go up before governments start acting because governments made this situation in the first place.

I said it before, I will say it again: Help those around you because that is where you can make a change. Raise awareness to pressure politics into acting for the real big issues.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
02-02-2012, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2012 08:55 AM by germanyt.)
(02-02-2012 06:34 AM)Leela Wrote:  What Hamata k says
+
pictures like that are made by those who will take your donation and only 5% of the money you sent will arrive in the place you donated for - you think that helps a lot?
Better: donating THINGS
Can't live in africa and fuck up my life to help people whose standard of life will not go up before governments start acting because governments made this situation in the first place.

I said it before, I will say it again: Help those around you because that is where you can make a change. Raise awareness to pressure politics into acting for the real big issues.

Exactly this. If the shit is happening right at your feet then it's only right to do something about it. I can't exactly control high school bullies everywhere, but if a group of kids is beating up another right in front of me I do something about it. This guy was mere feet away from saving a life and he passed on it. In no way is that comparable to what I've done to help from 10,000 miles away. And like I said before, I don't trust charitable organizations. Anyone remember Haiti? There is so much fraud and waste in charities it's ridiculous.
(02-02-2012 03:55 AM)arcticspear Wrote:  Germanyt... Seeing that I was there when this photo was taken, may I ask who your source was that you gleaned your information regarding a village 2-3km away?

If you would click on the link in the OP you'll see that even there it states that there was a UN food camp located just 1km away. That would be within sight of where the girl was so it's not unreasonable to expect him to have taken her there. Other articles list it as much as 3km away. Articles also state that those there when the photo was taken are unsure as to what happened to the girl. It doesn't say that her mom showed up to carry her to the camp. It doesn't say that he picked her up and brought her to the camp. It was reported that he spent 20 min setting up his camera, took the pic, and left. Like it was some hyena hunting a gazelle and he didn't want to disrupt nature. Unfortunately he forgot about human nature.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
02-02-2012, 01:07 PM
That friend of mine that died did just that. I got a rare form of fungus on his brain from picking up the unfortunate. He didn't have the proper gloves to do the work. He lost his life. Most camera men now know better than to take part in doing the job of a Aid worker. Their not Dr. or nurses, EMT's paramedics, or anything like that. Their job is to inform people about what is going on and grab your heart to do something. You give money to help is nice and needed but no one would even know or care unless you seen that picture. Words on the written page wont grab you like that one photo.
I had to decide what to show America in the 80's what they could see. I seen baby's die of starvation on 3/4 inch tape. 100 hrs of it. Belly's swollen like balloons from livers and they cut off the artery to the kidneys The skin so stretched it broke open the the baby's guts spilled out on the ground. So I have seen enough for a life time. Curtis died telling the world. He also died a slow and painful death. This thread really does get up my nose.
02-02-2012, 02:46 PM
(02-02-2012 01:07 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  That friend of mine that died did just that. I got a rare form of fungus on his brain from picking up the unfortunate. He didn't have the proper gloves to do the work. He lost his life. Most camera men now know better than to take part in doing the job of a Aid worker. Their not Dr. or nurses, EMT's paramedics, or anything like that. Their job is to inform people about what is going on and grab your heart to do something. You give money to help is nice and needed but no one would even know or care unless you seen that picture. Words on the written page wont grab you like that one photo.
I had to decide what to show America in the 80's what they could see. I seen baby's die of starvation on 3/4 inch tape. 100 hrs of it. Belly's swollen like balloons from livers and they cut off the artery to the kidneys The skin so stretched it broke open the the baby's guts spilled out on the ground. So I have seen enough for a life time. Curtis died telling the world. He also died a slow and painful death. This thread really does get up my nose.

I'm not arging the impact of the photo. And your friend did the right thing.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
02-02-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm not arging the impact of the photo. And your friend did the right thing.

[/quote]

No he didn't! He died and I lost a very good friend. That's what the Aid workers were there for. We had video from Calcutta India but I refused to edit it after I found out about Curtis. They used him and tossed him aside. They wouldn't even pay for the hospital bills. That was Jim & Tammy Fay (Faker) at PTL. A good Christian HA. They found someone else to edit that. I went to the hospital and stayed by his side. I must say at that point I knew their was NO GOD!
02-02-2012, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2012 05:11 PM by germanyt.)
(02-02-2012 03:09 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  No he didn't! He died and I lost a very good friend. That's what the Aid workers were there for. We had video from Calcutta India but I refused to edit it after I found out about Curtis. They used him and tossed him aside. They wouldn't even pay for the hospital bills. That was Jim & Tammy Fay (Faker) at PTL. A good Christian HA. They found someone else to edit that. I went to the hospital and stayed by his side. I must say at that point I knew their was NO GOD!

He made a selfless attempt to save a life. Unfortunately he lost his for it. There is no more honorable way to die. I'd be proud to have had a friend like that.

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
02-02-2012, 04:57 PM
It's obvious that this thread is a controversial lost cause... Everyone seems to believe what they read on the internet about this account. As for me, I was there, I took Kevin and flew him out. The aid station was less than a km from the airstrip... Kevin was standing right outside of the damn thing when the picture was taken.

No! He didn't spend 20-min setting up his camera. I don't know any photojournalist that spends more than 15 seconds adjusting for a shot.

All I can say is "Whatever helps you sleep at night!". As for me, this is my proof that no God exists - and it took a photojournalist like Kevin to give you something to bitch about.

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea
[+] 3 users Like arcticspear's post