Saddest picture of the century.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2012, 03:05 PM
RE: Saddest picture of the century.
(07-02-2012 02:57 PM)Kinger Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 02:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm really shocked at some of you who are defending this guy's actions... man... he should have at least tried to do something to save her.

He was just a man, Men make mistakes. He obviously could not live with himself. Besides you of all people should forgive him knowing Jesus died for our sins, right?

Just because he's an imperfect man doesn't mean that it wasn't a mistake. "Everyone makes mistakes" is defensible; however, that doesn't make him immune from the consequences of the mistake. His actions were still wrong and shouldn't be defended.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2012, 03:06 PM
(07-02-2012 02:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm really shocked at some of you who are defending this guy's actions... man... he should have at least tried to do something to save her.

I'm a bit put out that the perfectly reasonable replies have not been met with reasonable replies themselves but with increasingly hysterical outrage.

WTF is with all this judgmental horseshit? It was a long time ago and the man is dead.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-02-2012, 03:13 PM
(07-02-2012 03:06 PM)morondog Wrote:  

I'm a bit put out that the perfectly reasonable replies have not been met with reasonable replies themselves but with increasingly hysterical outrage.

WTF is with all this judgmental horseshit? It was a long time ago and the man is dead.

That's not the issue at hand.

The issue originally addressed was the morality of what this man did. Was it right? Was it wrong? As we all know morality is relative, so answers are going to differ; however, I'm just a little shocked at the defense given to this man from the people here.

Yes, the man committed suicide and is no longer with us. Yes, it happened awhile ago. Yes, the girl would have probably died regardless of what the man did. But, these aren't the issues. This isn't an issue of judgment; this is of morality. Was it immoral of him to not help the girl?

I say it was. But, of course, this is based on my own relative morality.

07-02-2012, 03:16 PM

I reserve the right to judge anyone I want based on my standards of decency.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-02-2012, 03:26 PM
(07-02-2012 03:16 PM)germanyt Wrote:  

Personally a man who writes "I'm happy the man committed suicide" and who feels competent to sit in his armchair and dictate how other people should act to win his approval leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. But hey, that just me exercising my right to judge.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-02-2012, 03:34 PM
(07-02-2012 03:26 PM)morondog Wrote:  

Personally a man who writes "I'm happy the man committed suicide" and who feels competent to sit in his armchair and dictate how other people should act to win his approval leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. But hey, that just me exercising my right to judge.

I'm glad this man commited suicide and I hope it hurt like a bitch. U Mad?
[Image: Hitler.jpg]

Let's see how people's feelings change when we're talking about a genocidal maniac killing himself verses a simple photojournalist.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-02-2012, 03:34 PM

I think that is why people feel compelled to defend the guy. One person is so far to one side, everyone else has to defend him to even it out a little bit.

No one knows what they would have done in this situation because none of us were there under the exact circumstances. We would all like to think we would help someone. Here the village people are riddled with disease and need more than food.

Should he have done more? I don't know. I do know that no one deserves death for this. If he had walked up to the child and stoned him, well that would be different. By the way, does anyone know the rules of engagement here? Are you allowed to touch them or help them?
[+] 1 user Likes Kinger's post
07-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Sorry... couldn't resist.

[Image: Blog_Godwins_Law.jpg]

07-02-2012, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2012 03:37 PM by germanyt.)
(07-02-2012 03:34 PM)Kinger Wrote:  

I think that is why people feel compelled to defend the guy. One person is so far to one side, everyone else has to defend him to even it out a little bit.

No one knows what they would have done in this situation because none of us were there under the exact circumstances. We would all like to think we would help someone. Here the village people are riddled with disease and need more than food.

Should he have done more? I don't know. I do know that no one deserves death for this. If he had walked up to the child and stoned him, well that would be different. By the way, does anyone know the rules of engagement here? Are you allowed to touch them or help them?

I don't need to think about it. I would have helped her. And being allowed to help or not is irrelevant. It it were a law, that's one I'd happily break.

(07-02-2012 03:36 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Sorry... couldn't resist.

[Image: Blog_Godwins_Law.jpg]

Well I am a white guy with the last name Germany.

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
07-02-2012, 03:45 PM
It just seems to me, that we would all know that there is much more to the story than what generally gets reported. To assume that you have all the facts on a situation like this, from an article or two seems very ignorant. I understand the morality issue and if the story was truley that this man saw this as an opportunity to monopolize on such a horrific tragedy, then sure, he was a dick. But you guys make it sound like he kicked the baby over and walked away sadistically laughing and thinking to himself that the vultures meal tonight might be a lil boney. I just don't think the type of man that would position himself in Africa to help in the first place would be "that guy" -- then again this is me knowing I wasn't there--and I will NEVER truely know what happened-- you find a video yet?! Otherwise.. I'm surprised by your bold FACTUAL statements. --- Not to mention the man on this thread that brings a whole different light to this story. I'm not saying I necessarily believe his story to be factual either -- just that there is more than any of us will know

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 2 users Like k37713's post