Saddest picture of the century.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2012, 03:52 PM
RE: Saddest picture of the century.
(07-02-2012 03:45 PM)k37713 Wrote:  It just seems to me, that we would all know that there is much more to the story than what generally gets reported. To assume that you have all the facts on a situation like this, from an article or two seems very ignorant. I understand the morality issue and if the story was truley that this man saw this as an opportunity to monopolize on such a horrific tragedy, then sure, he was a dick. But you guys make it sound like he kicked the baby over and walked away sadistically laughing and thinking to himself that the vultures meal tonight might be a lil boney. I just don't think the type of man that would position himself in Africa to help in the first place would be "that guy" -- then again this is me knowing I wasn't there--and I will NEVER truely know what happened-- you find a video yet?! Otherwise.. I'm surprised by your bold FACTUAL statements. --- Not to mention the man on this thread that brings a whole different light to this story. I'm not saying I necessarily believe his story to be factual either -- just that there is more than any of us will know

No video but I can't exactly search for one form this computer. The articles available are full of testimony from those involved and the dude even killed himself. Why he killed himself I am unsure of. As for what we do or don't know about the situation. We do know that he wasn't murdered where this picture was taken. He didn't have bullets or tear gas flying at him. There wasn't a tsunami there that washed away everything 10 seconds after the photo was taken. Any reason for leaving her besides those is completely inexcusable IMO. As far as I'm concerned all this photo accomplished was showing what a heartless SOB this photographer was.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2012, 03:55 PM
(07-02-2012 03:45 PM)k37713 Wrote:  It just seems to me, that we would all know that there is much more to the story than what generally gets reported. To assume that you have all the facts on a situation like this, from an article or two seems very ignorant. I understand the morality issue and if the story was truley that this man saw this as an opportunity to monopolize on such a horrific tragedy, then sure, he was a dick. But you guys make it sound like he kicked the baby over and walked away sadistically laughing and thinking to himself that the vultures meal tonight might be a lil boney. I just don't think the type of man that would position himself in Africa to help in the first place would be "that guy" -- then again this is me knowing I wasn't there--and I will NEVER truely know what happened-- you find a video yet?! Otherwise.. I'm surprised by your bold FACTUAL statements. --- Not to mention the man on this thread that brings a whole different light to this story. I'm not saying I necessarily believe his story to be factual either -- just that there is more than any of us will know

Whoa now... all I said was regardless of the situation, I believe that it was immoral to not help the child.

If I saw someone truly in need, regardless of anything, I would do my best to help them... especially it their life was threatened. But, like I said, that's my personal morality.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
07-02-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm convinced that those of you trying desperately to remain neutral on this topic just need a little more Jesus in your lives. Then you will understand what is right and what is wrong.

srs

[Image: surprise_trollface.gif]

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-02-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm not neutral on it but maybe jesus helps me anyway *waits for jesus now*

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2012, 04:32 PM
(07-02-2012 04:20 PM)Leela Wrote:  I'm not neutral on it but maybe jesus helps me anyway *waits for jesus now*

Don't hold your breath Confused
07-02-2012, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2012 05:35 PM by kim.)
(07-02-2012 03:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 03:06 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 02:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm really shocked at some of you who are defending this guy's actions... man... he should have at least tried to do something to save her.
I'm a bit put out that the perfectly reasonable replies have not been met with reasonable replies themselves but with increasingly hysterical outrage.

WTF is with all this judgmental horseshit? It was a long time ago and the man is dead.

That's not the issue at hand.

The issue originally addressed was the morality of what this man did. Was it right? Was it wrong? As we all know morality is relative, so answers are going to differ; however, I'm just a little shocked at the defense given to this man from the people here.

Yes, the man committed suicide and is no longer with us. Yes, it happened awhile ago. Yes, the girl would have probably died regardless of what the man did. But, these aren't the issues. This isn't an issue of judgment; this is of morality. Was it immoral of him to not help the girl?

I say it was. But, of course, this is based on my own relative morality.

Show me how you know that he didn't help the girl? Prove to me that this person did not keep that bird from getting to that child. Did you not read the accont by one of his colleagues who was present, which I posted? Probably not; why bother when you've formed your opinion. Been to the Sudan, have you? So much for your "relative morality".

Here's a question; why do you even know there were children starving in the Sudan?
Next time there is a tragedy anywhere in the world, do not send photographers and then see how many people pony up to help.

And by the way... just in case it's relevant -which it is not- this man did not kill himself because of that photo or the harassment he received because of it. The life of a photojournalist at that time was (not to compare it to your hardship) kind of tough.
Here's an article and a quote from Carter's daughter Megan: "I see my dad as the suffering child. And the rest of the world is the vulture."

So maybe, based on my own "relative morality", I and a few others here, are just chasing away vultures who miss the point of this man's contribution to the human experience.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
07-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Add to that: WTF comparison to Hitler? Suddenly some guy who took *one photo* which makes you feel uncomfortable is comparable to a megalomaniac who killed millions?

You're using exactly the same kinda bullshit arguments used by e.g. Ray Comfort.

1. I KNOW this is what happened. I will disregard any statement to the contrary.
2. Anyone who opposes my point of view is an immoral evil bastard.
3. By arguing against me you argue that Hitler was a good man.

U mad?
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
08-02-2012, 09:08 AM
(07-02-2012 11:21 PM)morondog Wrote:  Add to that: WTF comparison to Hitler? Suddenly some guy who took *one photo* which makes you feel uncomfortable is comparable to a megalomaniac who killed millions?

You're using exactly the same kinda bullshit arguments used by e.g. Ray Comfort.

1. I KNOW this is what happened. I will disregard any statement to the contrary.

U mad?

No. That wasn't my angle. But I noticed that when I claimed I was glad Hitler killed himself no one questioned it. So just admit that it's okay to be happy that Hitler is dead (and a hypocrite), just not this photographer. Ya know, cuz we don't know what he went through. Rolleyes

-Mark Twain
08-02-2012, 09:25 AM
(08-02-2012 09:08 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 11:21 PM)morondog Wrote:  Add to that: WTF comparison to Hitler? Suddenly some guy who took *one photo* which makes you feel uncomfortable is comparable to a megalomaniac who killed millions?

U mad?

No. That wasn't my angle. But I noticed that when I claimed I was glad Hitler killed himself no one questioned it. So just admit that it's okay to be happy that Hitler is dead (and a hypocrite), just not this photographer. Ya know, cuz we don't know what he went through. Rolleyes

No need to reply to such a retarded statement and substantiate it as reasonable arguement.

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 2 users Like k37713's post
08-02-2012, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2012 02:56 PM by germanyt.)
(08-02-2012 09:25 AM)k37713 Wrote:  
(08-02-2012 09:08 AM)germanyt Wrote:  

U mad?

No need to reply to such a retarded statement and substantiate it as reasonable arguement.

Ooohh. An attempt to take the high road and make me look like the irrational one. I'm being criticized for being glad this dude killed himself. But when making the comment about Hitler killing himself no one seems to disagree. Both are morally reprehensible regardless of the degree of the crimes. So basically it's okay for me to be glad Hitler is dead. But not okay for me to be glad that Kevin Carter is dead. You're an idiot. And an apologetic hypocrite.

-Mark Twain