Safe guidelines for crossing the street

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Safe guidelines for crossing the street
While going for a walk with the dog, I was waiting to cross at a light, and opposite to us were a woman and presumably her young son. I heard the following brief conversation.

Woman: When do we cross the street? When the light is...?
Boy: Red!

I chuckled as the little "man" in the traffic light turned green and we all started crossing, while she explained to the boy that "no, we cross the street when the light is green". And then it struck me, what kind of guideline is that? Is she trying to kill the boy, or what? By the time I finished thinking that we were at opposite sides of the road again, and I didn't feel like shouting at them, so I will share my thought here instead.

If I had children, I would try to make it clear to them that we cross the street when no vehicles are moving towards the crossing. The green light is a good hint about when it is most likely that no vehicles will be moving towards the crossing, but it is not a guarantee that vehicles will not be moving towards the crossing; if we only pay attention to the colour of the light, we are exposing ourselves to an unlikely but nevertheless painful and potentially fatal experience. But I don't have any children, so I've told the dog and she's looked at me while twisting her head, as if she were saying "What the fuck?"

If you have children, what kind of guidelines do you try to teach them?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like living thing's post
18-05-2014, 09:23 AM
RE: Safe guidelines for crossing the street
Always wait for the locals to start crossing then follow them.

Nearly got myself killed in New Zealand for looking the wrong way.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
18-05-2014, 12:49 PM
(18-05-2014 09:13 AM)living thing Wrote:  While going for a walk with the dog, I was waiting to cross at a light, and opposite to us were a woman and presumably her young son. I heard the following brief conversation.

Woman: When do we cross the street? When the light is...?
Boy: Red!

I chuckled as the little "man" in the traffic light turned green and we all started crossing, while she explained to the boy that "no, we cross the street when the light is green". And then it struck me, what kind of guideline is that? Is she trying to kill the boy, or what? By the time I finished thinking that we were at opposite sides of the road again, and I didn't feel like shouting at them, so I will share my thought here instead.

If I had children, I would try to make it clear to them that we cross the street when no vehicles are moving towards the crossing. The green light is a good hint about when it is most likely that no vehicles will be moving towards the crossing, but it is not a guarantee that vehicles will not be moving towards the crossing; if we only pay attention to the colour of the light, we are exposing ourselves to an unlikely but nevertheless painful and potentially fatal experience. But I don't have any children, so I've told the dog and she's looked at me while twisting her head, as if she were saying "What the fuck?"

If you have children, what kind of guidelines do you try to teach them?

Thanks!

Perhaps she's teaching him the first indicator that crossing the street is okay. If she starts with telling him to cross when he doesn't see a car coming, that sets him up for failure in the event of mistaken judgment.
However, if she teaches that foremost the light must be green, then she can build upon that to include verifying that traffic has stopped. She could then add checking for bicyclists or any other hazards.
She's starting with a singular rule upon which to increase his understanding to include further complexities.

Or she just hasn't thought about it thoroughly.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
18-05-2014, 12:52 PM
My job involves working on roads and I can agree with your Logic LT. Don't rely on other people or systems for your safety. Rely on all of your senses.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
18-05-2014, 01:21 PM
When I was a kid, we were taught...look both ways before crossing the street...still seems like sound advice.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-05-2014, 02:03 PM
When my dad was teaching me about road safety, he always told me (whether walking, driving or riding a bike) to move as if you assume no one can see you. Even if you have the right of way to make your maneuver, make sure you are aware other drivers may not see you making your maneuver. Made me very cautious. Only ever been in once accident in my life. Involved slick roads during a snow storm.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
18-05-2014, 02:18 PM
I was taught to look at the light, if it was green, always look both ways before proceeding and always try to cross with large group.

Growing up, crossing the street was something like sport. Cars wouid be more likely to stop when large groups crossed.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-05-2014, 02:21 PM
(18-05-2014 02:03 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  When my dad was teaching me about road safety, he always told me (whether walking, driving or riding a bike) to move as if you assume no one can see you. Even if you have the right of way to make your maneuver, make sure you are aware other drivers may not see you making your maneuver. Made me very cautious. Only ever been in once accident in my life. Involved slick roads during a snow storm.

That really is the best advice.

Much, much better than what I told my son. I told him to assume all the people on the road are illiterate douchebags.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-05-2014, 02:22 PM
(18-05-2014 02:21 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 02:03 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  When my dad was teaching me about road safety, he always told me (whether walking, driving or riding a bike) to move as if you assume no one can see you. Even if you have the right of way to make your maneuver, make sure you are aware other drivers may not see you making your maneuver. Made me very cautious. Only ever been in once accident in my life. Involved slick roads during a snow storm.

That really is the best advice.

Much, much better than what I told my son. I told him to assume all the people on the road are illiterate douchebags.

Laugh out load hahaha! meh, close enough Yes

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
18-05-2014, 03:38 PM
(18-05-2014 09:23 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Always wait for the locals to start crossing then follow them.
That’s a good idea, although I hope I’m not unlucky enough to choose the suicidal one.

(18-05-2014 09:23 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Nearly got myself killed in New Zealand for looking the wrong way.
Really??? Over here, if you don’t look the "appropriate" way you get to shag less, but hardly anyone gets killed for their looks.

Oh, you meant “directing your eyesight towards”? Sorry, sorry, I got confused :-)

Well, if I manage to end up under a car, I hope it’s in New Zealand. I nearly got myself killed in my own city, when I came for a visit during the time while I lived in England. Fortunately, my brother-in-law was looking towards the left and saved me from the embarrassment.

Thanks for your useful hint, Full Circle. Take care (especially when crossing the road in New Zealand).