Safe guidelines for crossing the street

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2014, 03:56 PM
RE: Safe guidelines for crossing the street
Hello Jeffasaurus, how are you?

(18-05-2014 12:49 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  ... if she teaches that foremost the light must be green...
But that's the thing. In my view, the most relevant notion is not that the light must be green, but that no vehicles are approaching the same patch of asphalt. It is being hit by a moving vehicle what can kill you; not walking while illuminated by the red light.

Don't let my niecews read this, because they are still too young to pay proper attention to the things that can kill them in their surroundings, but I don't really mind that much if they cross when the light is red, as long as they ensure that no vehicles are approaching the intersection. I try not to cross the street with a red light when I am with them, because I don't want to set a possibly unsafe example, but I don't always wait for the green light when I am not with them, if I see that it is safe to cross.

I appreciate your interesting analysis of the situation, although I cannot say what option described if any is the accurate one; I don't know who those people were.

Thanks. Have fun!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2014, 04:00 PM
(18-05-2014 01:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  When I was a kid, we were taught...look both ways before crossing the street...still seems like sound advice.
Yes, that is one of the most valuable pieces of advice I've ever been given.
18-05-2014, 04:22 PM
(18-05-2014 02:18 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I was taught to look at the light, if it was green, always look both ways before proceeding and always try to cross with large group.
Yeah, I think that makes sense.

(18-05-2014 02:18 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Growing up, crossing the street was something like sport. Cars wouid be more likely to stop when large groups crossed.
But I wouldn't trust that last bit, though.

A few years ago, in the country where I happen to live, twelve partygoers were killed and fourteen more injured when they crossed a railroad line without looking to see if there was a fucking train coming when there was, in fact, a fucking train coming. Well, I don't mean that there was a train arriving to the climax of its copulation, but there was a massive vehicle on steel wheels approaching the location where those people were crossing.

Apparently, the problem was group dynamics; the first people in the group of thirty or so crossed when it was relatively safe for them to cross, and the rest just followed without paying attention. Big mistake, fatal mistake.

Crossing while more people do so is sensible because drivers are more likely to see at least one of the people crossing. Trusting that vehicles will stop for large groups to cross is risking a fatal mistake; a driver approaching the crossing might have had a heart attack and not be in a condition to stop for the group. In the end of the day, the most important question one needs to respond before crossing is probably "Is there anything capable of killing me approaching my trajectory?"

Or maybe not, I'm not trying to teach other adults how to cross the street. Thanks, Momsurroundedbyboys!
18-05-2014, 04:41 PM
(18-05-2014 02:03 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  When my dad was teaching me about road safety, he always told me (whether walking, driving or riding a bike) to move as if you assume no one can see you. Even if you have the right of way to make your maneuver, make sure you are aware other drivers may not see you making your maneuver. Made me very cautious. Only ever been in once accident in my life. Involved slick roads during a snow storm.
I think your dad gave you great advice.

I've only been involved in one minor accident as a driver, within the first few months after I passed my test, and... well, it was my fault for stepping on the accelerator more than it is convenient when it is starting to rain after a few dry days. Skidding was fun, but hitting the other car was less fun, and looking at the guy's face was not fun at all. Shame. That is a better word to describe the feeling.

But the good thing is that I managed to learn two valuable lessons without causing any irreversible harm to anyone or myself: 1) be careful because people can indeed drive like illiterate douchebags, with myself as an example; and 2) if I don't drive like an illiterate douchebag, maybe I won't die and/or kill in my car. Ever since, I've tried to be much more cautious.

Thanks for your perspective, Smercury44. Have a good time!
[+] 1 user Likes living thing's post
18-05-2014, 05:50 PM
(18-05-2014 03:56 PM)living thing Wrote:  Hello Jeffasaurus, how are you?
I'm doing fairly well; thanks for asking.
(18-05-2014 03:56 PM)living thing Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 12:49 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  ... if she teaches that foremost the light must be green...
But that's the thing. In my view, the most relevant notion is not that the light must be green, but that no vehicles are approaching the same patch of asphalt. It is being hit by a moving vehicle what can kill you; not walking while illuminated by the red light.

Don't let my niecews read this, because they are still too young to pay proper attention to the things that can kill them in their surroundings, but I don't really mind that much if they cross when the light is red, as long as they ensure that no vehicles are approaching the intersection. I try not to cross the street with a red light when I am with them, because I don't want to set a possibly unsafe example, but I don't always wait for the green light when I am not with them, if I see that it is safe to cross.

I appreciate your interesting analysis of the situation, although I cannot say what option described if any is the accurate one; I don't know who those people were.

Thanks. Have fun!

I didn't mean to imply that the color of the light was the most important factor, but for the child who's clearly lacking life-experience it's a good place to start. Frankly, if the kid is struggling with discerning red from green (or hand from walking figure), then he shouldn't really be given the freedom to risk his life based upon his (in)ability to accurately judge the speed and distance of moving vehicles.

Should a child be taught to look for drivers that are running red lights before proceeding to cross the street? Unquestionably. I'm just saying that it's not necessarily the first thing he should be taught. Hell, initially he should be taught where to safely cross the street.

Unless he's a chicken, then the question is "why?" Wink

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
18-05-2014, 06:23 PM
(18-05-2014 04:22 PM)living thing Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 02:18 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I was taught to look at the light, if it was green, always look both ways before proceeding and always try to cross with large group.
Yeah, I think that makes sense.

(18-05-2014 02:18 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Growing up, crossing the street was something like sport. Cars wouid be more likely to stop when large groups crossed.
But I wouldn't trust that last bit, though.

A few years ago, in the country where I happen to live, twelve partygoers were killed and fourteen more injured when they crossed a railroad line without looking to see if there was a fucking train coming when there was, in fact, a fucking train coming. Well, I don't mean that there was a train arriving to the climax of its copulation, but there was a massive vehicle on steel wheels approaching the location where those people were crossing.

Apparently, the problem was group dynamics; the first people in the group of thirty or so crossed when it was relatively safe for them to cross, and the rest just followed without paying attention. Big mistake, fatal mistake.

Crossing while more people do so is sensible because drivers are more likely to see at least one of the people crossing. Trusting that vehicles will stop for large groups to cross is risking a fatal mistake; a driver approaching the crossing might have had a heart attack and not be in a condition to stop for the group. In the end of the day, the most important question one needs to respond before crossing is probably "Is there anything capable of killing me approaching my trajectory?"

Or maybe not, I'm not trying to teach other adults how to cross the street. Thanks, Momsurroundedbyboys!

Well, let's be honest, people verses train...the train will always win!

I grew up in San Francisco. Cars, traffic and tourists.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces