Sagan's Cosmos: Worth watching all these years later?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Sagan's Cosmos: Worth watching all these years later?
All:

While at the AA convention in Austin, I asked science whiz Cara Santa Maria if the original Cosmos series was worth watching all these years later. She replied that it was still OK, especially for folks in my age bracket (40+), as the show's information is still relatively current and is presented in a somewhat sedate (probably a tactful way to say "dated") fashion.

Ms. Santa Maria added that the new Cosmos series in development by Neil Degrasse Tyson will be more accessible to the younger generation than the first show due to NDT's more outgoing style (and, I assume, because of the advances in special effects necessary to hold their attention).

So, today I ordered the original Cosmos on DVD from Amazon, and even though I'm a middle-aged fogey, I'm still looking forward to the new show! Smartass
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist_pilgrim's post
02-04-2013, 04:58 PM
RE: Sagan's Cosmos: Worth watching all these years later?
I've watched them lately while having never seen them in the past. I think they still are excellent and hold up as a quality science program with today's standards. They aren't that far off from some of the science channel style shows. Maybe I like that pattern of watching the guy walk around a rocky shore or desert and speaking about the fundamental details of nature.

It does have it's serene calming style but that always adds to it's wonderment as you travel back through eons of time to see the expanding universe.

I think the Brian Cox series the wonders of the universe is fantastic as well, modern but the same style.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
02-04-2013, 05:02 PM
(02-04-2013 04:50 PM)Atheist_pilgrim Wrote:  All:

While at the AA convention in Austin, I asked science whiz Cara Santa Maria if the original Cosmos series was worth watching all these years later. She replied that it was still OK, especially for folks in my age bracket (40+), as the show's information is still relatively current and is presented in a somewhat sedate (probably a tactful way to say "dated") fashion.

Ms. Santa Maria added that the new Cosmos series in development by Neil Degrasse Tyson will be more accessible to the younger generation than the first show due to NDT's more outgoing style (and, I assume, because of the advances in special effects necessary to hold their attention).

So, today I ordered the original Cosmos on DVD from Amazon, and even though I'm a middle-aged fogey, I'm still looking forward to the new show! Smartass

Short answer: abso-fucking-lutely! Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-04-2013, 05:14 PM
His voice makes husband fall asleep.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

02-04-2013, 05:22 PM
I watched them (again) this year with my daughters. Now my 15-year-old is in love with Carl Sagan (she thinks he's cute).

But, that's not what you're watching them for. Some of the info is a little old. The version I watched had Carl and his wife giving a follow-up to each episode with notes about new info that had been discovered since the episode was originally aired. Of course, even those updates are, now, about 10-15 years old so maybe it's time for updates on the updates?

But a lot of the info in the series is historical stuff, like talking about ancient scholars in the Library of Alexandria, or how he went into quite a bit of personal biographical information on a number of famous historical figures. And even the modernish stuff is still pretty cool.

Definitely worth watching.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
02-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Short answer: Yes!

Long answer: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!​!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
02-04-2013, 08:23 PM
I just got into Cosmos fairly recently through the Symphony of Science videos. I feel they still hold up very well.
02-04-2013, 10:40 PM
It's all about the Vangelis score!

And, y'know, the science is dope too.

And I happen to dig those early eighties special effects.

But yeah, it's pretty sedate. I think that Cosmos and Transformers III are about as far apart on the action scale as two things can possibly get.

By the by, Cosmos is available on Netflix.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
03-04-2013, 12:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2013 12:50 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
All you need to do to bring Cosmos up to date is when Sagan talks about Heikegani crabs looking like samurai.... mentally replace "samurai" with "Tori Spelling."
[Image: genji20crab20faceqjprevzk6.jpg]

[Image: tori-spelling-car-accident.jpg]

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
03-04-2013, 09:23 PM
It's Sagan, of course it's worth it! Sagan is one who will never be forgotten, I love Sagans Cosmos, I'm pretty sure I am the only high school student in the wasteland of a state Kansas who thinks so.

“My Nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight.” - Marcus Luttrell