Sagan's Cosmos: Worth watching all these years later?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2013, 05:16 AM
RE: Sagan's Cosmos: Worth watching all these years later?
I recently saw it for the first time.

It was OK. Sagan's vibe is a combination of - borderline pedophile,huge pothead,and groovy teacher. Some of the effects in it are really corny - like the "spaceship" scenes.

I wasn't born yet when it came out, so I can only imagine it was more stunning then.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2013, 07:08 PM
(03-04-2013 12:35 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  All you need to do to bring Cosmos up to date is when Sagan talks about Heikegani crabs looking like samurai.... mentally replace "samurai" with "Tori Spelling."
[Image: genji20crab20faceqjprevzk6.jpg]

[Image: tori-spelling-car-accident.jpg]
Actually, that part needs to be removed entirely. It's inaccurate.
07-04-2013, 04:29 AM
(05-04-2013 05:16 AM)Juv Wrote:  I recently saw it for the first time.

It was OK. Sagan's vibe is a combination of - borderline pedophile,huge pothead,and groovy teacher. Some of the effects in it are really corny - like the "spaceship" scenes.

I wasn't born yet when it came out, so I can only imagine it was more stunning then.

Aw, I wouldn't call it a pedo vibe. Definitely the groovy teacher pothead though.

I enjoy the corny retro vibe, watching it now.

I just put it on for background noise. Sagan just brightens my day.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Got my Amazon order of the "Cosmos" DVD set, and just finished watching the first episode - great stuff (although the loss of the Library in Alexandria was a huge tragedy)! Ann Druyan introduces the show with a talk on how the world has changed between the initial broadcast and the time of her update (End of the Cold War, the rise of the WWW, and the mapping of the genome). She says that the series, even after 20 eventful years, "requires few revisions, and indeed is rich in prophecy." Can't wait to get to the rest of "Cosmos!"
14-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Watched the second and third episodes earlier this week. Interesting that Sagan made the bold statement in Ep. Two that "evolution is true - it is not a theory." Thirty years ago he made this statement, and this was the most watched science show ever...what happened? It seems nuts that this show didn't spark a big secular revolution that would have nullified the creationist movement and the Republican Party.
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist_pilgrim's post
14-04-2013, 08:37 PM
I find it's best to be high when he's doing all that hokey spaceship stuff. Smokin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
14-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Definitely. The real question is: why would you not? Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
14-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I once watched the end of "2001: A Space Odyssey" while under the influence...certainly agree that Cosmos could be enjoyed under similar circumstances, perhaps while listening to Pink Floyd...;-)
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist_pilgrim's post