Sagging, dress codes and youth subcultures

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Sagging, dress codes and youth subcultures
Just a funny video of a guy tripping over his pants in the news today

It made me think of dress codes and what teenagers wear these days. Never understood why people want to dress like this...

[Image: top-10-sagging-moments07.jpg]

[Image: top-10-sagging-moments10.jpg]

I was a goth when I was young: all black, combats boots, pentagrams, Metal band t-shirts etc. Even had blue hair for a while. But I NEVER, EVER looked nearly as ridiculous as this. I wonder what's next? This?

[Image: fa6a086ec681036686fc0e839f9c3f5b.jpg]

I grew up in the nineties and saw alot of funny subcultures back then, but nowhere as stupid as today. I must be getting old Tongue.

So, what's your opinion about subculture dress codes today? And what did you wear when you were younger?

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2011, 09:19 AM
RE: Sagging, dress codes and youth subcultures
Yeah I grew up in the nineties too and I even tried the pants below the butt thing for about three days back then... I couldn't stand it infelt like a clown. How do people do it day to day I often wonder? Also it's summerand I keep seeing dudes wearing hoodies. Like fuck off guys it hot out where are you from? Or girls wearing barely anything which is the new trend I hoPe goes away by the time my daughter is a teenager, but they also wear big winter boots? I don't get it! Does this mean I'm old? Oh and the music I like is now played on the local classic rock radio station Sad

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-08-2011, 09:27 AM
(26-08-2011 09:19 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Or girls wearing barely anything which is the new trend I hoPe goes away by the time my daughter is a teenager,

Well, let us not all turn into a bunch of old farts just yet. Let the kids be kids. Especially the girls!

(man am I glad I only have sons!)

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
26-08-2011, 10:15 PM
I think the look these days is ridiculous, but when I went to school wearing ripped jeans my dad thought I was insane. I'll admit, there's been the occasion where the urge to walk up to a teenager and hike up his pants for him was nearly unbearable, but mostly, I figure they have their own thing going. So did we, so who am I to judge.

As for the girls being nearly naked...I take a bit more issue with that. Probably because I have a 14 year old and an 11 year old. Both daughters.

When you have a son, you have one little prick to worry about. When you have a daughter, you have all the little pricks to worry about.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
26-08-2011, 10:32 PM
The easiest answer to girls currently is the lolita stuff as it focuses on modesty and they tend to want vintage. Most girls into lolita will be pretty popular though, so while they won't be naked you'll still have a high probability that all the guys will stare. It's not hard to get a girl into it if they get some starter clothes (most prefer princesses to prostitutes).

Luckily in my area most of the sagging pants guys are in their 30s. I definitely have to say they should publicize a few gay movies about the actual reason behind the pants and everyone would stop.

Girl fashion is almost always horrid. For a lot of girls showing some skin is a lot better than the 90's looks which only worked for certain body types.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-09-2011, 06:22 AM

America >.<
01-09-2011, 09:45 AM
I think there should at least be a standard for dressing. We can't really think like religious moderates and say things like who are you to say their way of dressing isn't appropriate. Of course there is right and wrong ways of dressing. Certain body parts/areas being revealed should be addressed.

Sagging pants can cause accidents that places could be potentially sued for.(only in America)
Short shorts on women can cause sexual harassment cases. (Hell I'm going to look if you wear it)

But in a fair and just world I wouldn't care and leave it up to the individual.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
01-09-2011, 09:52 AM
The baggy pants fad is really annoying. I don't care what kind of boxers you have on. As for the girls and the skimpy dressing, it makes me uncomfortable. I am on a college campus everyday and the way most of these young ladies dress is really quite unbelievable. I am all for free speech and the freedom to where what you want because you have that right, but some people dress as if they have no self-respect. Of course I am no fashion guru.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
01-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Well the baggy pants argument that they are a safety issue is kinda silly in my opinion. That would mean that high heels, loose fitting shirts, and pretty much anything else could be considered a danger.
Short shorts attracting sexual assault is another bunk argument. Do we then outlaw bikinis on the beach? Sure people are gonna look if you're wearing short shorts. But that's something the wearer should accept. I mean isn't that why we wear fashionable clothes period? So people SEE what we're wearing (and sure to accentuate parts of our bodies, nuthin wrong with that). But to acceprt responsibility for being sexually assaulted/harassed or whatever, just isn't fair. (I kow you said "in a fair and just world I wouldn't care" but isn't that what we need to promote? Fairness?)
I dunno. Both styles make me uncomfortable too, but I fgure that's my cross to bear (hee hee, I love using religous references on this forum lol). I can't expect others to dress according to what I want to see. And if the way they dress causes me to act or speak inappropriately, that's my wrong doing, not theirs. I expect my rights to be respected, and so should they.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
01-09-2011, 11:00 AM
(01-09-2011 09:45 AM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I think there should at least be a standard for dressing. We can't really think like religious moderates and say things like who are you to say their way of dressing isn't appropriate. Of course there is right and wrong ways of dressing. Certain body parts/areas being revealed should be addressed.

Sagging pants can cause accidents that places could be potentially sued for.(only in America)
Short shorts on women can cause sexual harassment cases. (Hell I'm going to look if you wear it)

But in a fair and just world I wouldn't care and leave it up to the individual.

Well now I'm going to have to throw out at least half of my wardrobe if I want to have a two way conversation with you I guess. Wink

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison