Saint Nicholas is coming soon!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Saint Nicholas is coming soon!
It's the 5th or 6th of december when many european countries have Saint nicholas deliver winter gifts - an old Pagan ritual.

But who is that with him?

Have a look here:

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/wh...-nicholas/

I have heard of kids being beaten in that scenario. Also, in Austria there are sometimes hordes of the evil helpers roaming and hitting people willy nilly on the streets.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2012, 09:34 AM
RE: Saint Nicholas is coming soon!
This is my favorite part of that page:

*St. Nicholas Center joins with the St. Nicholas Society, taking a position that does not condone nor wish to perpetuate in any way customs that include characters with a dark side, such as the horrific Austrian Krampus, as we encourages the St Nicholas tradition and its revival in our time. We abhor the imagery of these charcaters and hope that St. Nicholas will be accompanied by necessary helpersneeded for practical reasons, but that the helpers have no significance in the overall celebration. The Dutch Zwarte Piet has become over time a more benign figure, but he, too, presents serious difficulties. It would be wise, in our thinking, to do away with the black-face and simply call them jesters, or just Piets, making it clear all can be St. Nicholas' helpers. St Nicholas is a symbol of good and good alone. He does not need, and should not have, violent and frightening sidekicks for comparison. Support the good St. Nicholas!

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2012, 09:44 AM
We just eat fish and more precisely - carp.
Like this (stuffed with onions and walnuts):
[Image: nikulden+sharan.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
30-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote: This is my favorite part of that page:

*St. Nicholas Center joins with the St. Nicholas Society, taking a position that does not condone nor wish to perpetuate in any way customs that include characters with a dark side, such as the horrific Austrian Krampus, as we encourages the St Nicholas tradition and its revival in our time. We abhor the imagery of these charcaters and hope that St. Nicholas will be accompanied by necessary helpersneeded for practical reasons, but that the helpers have no significance in the overall celebration. The Dutch Zwarte Piet has become over time a more benign figure, but he, too, presents serious difficulties. It would be wise, in our thinking, to do away with the black-face and simply call them jesters, or just Piets, making it clear all can be St. Nicholas' helpers. St Nicholas is a symbol of good and good alone. He does not need, and should not have, violent and frightening sidekicks for comparison. Support the good St. Nicholas!

Yeah, right, when all along the custom as it has been carried over since Pagan times was meant to scare the bejesus outta kids and make them walk the straight and narrow.

And tell that to the Krampus folk in Austria!

http://travel.ninemsn.com/internationalb...us-parades

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-11-2012, 09:49 AM
(30-11-2012 09:44 AM)Vera Wrote:  We just eat fish and more precisely - carp.
Like this (stuffed with onions and walnuts):
[Image: nikulden+sharan.jpg]

That's a Christmas eve meal in Bavaria. Most have carp, we had trout.

30-11-2012, 09:54 AM
I like his pagan fish hat.
The same one the Jewish high priests wore (side ways).
http://babylon-the-great.xanga.com/653331325/item/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mzDmPd4NLY

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Funny how you see all these old traditions slightly different in different places.

On Xmas eve (24.12) we do not eat meat and there must be an odd number of dishes (without any meat or dairy products in them) on the table (but not less than 7). Nothing typically Xmasy for the other day, though.

We have parades like these some time in the spring, but am not sure when exactly. Supposed to ward off evil spirits or chase the winter away... No clue, actually.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
30-11-2012, 10:02 AM
(30-11-2012 09:55 AM)Vera Wrote:  Funny how you see all these old traditions slightly different in different places.

On Xmas eve (24.12) we do not eat meat and there must be an odd number of dishes (without any meat or dairy products in them) on the table (but not less than 7). Nothing typically Xmasy for the other day, though.

We have parades like these some time in the spring, but am not sure when exactly. Supposed to ward off evil spirits or chase the winter away... No clue, actually.

In the spring we have Fasching, also Pagan, driving the bad spirits off. Much like halloween here, but tons of street parties. Everyone is in costume, whatever costume.

Most have duck on xmas day, or goose. We had turkey. Come to think of it, we always sort of went along with these things, but always somewhat different.

30-11-2012, 10:03 AM
(30-11-2012 09:54 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I like his pagan fish hat.
The same one the Jewish high priests wore (side ways).
http://babylon-the-great.xanga.com/653331325/item/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mzDmPd4NLY

Too funny.

Bishops wear these too.

30-11-2012, 02:59 PM
The guy who comes with the "Nikolaus" (Bavaria) is the "Krampus". Nikolaus knows if the kid was good or bad. If it was good, it will get sweets in a boot (traditionally) or on a nice plate (more common). Weeks before Nikolaus day kids are being scared by older kids and adults, because the Krampus will put you in his gunnysack (did i chose the right word?) and beat you.

Now I personally have never experienced that, none of my friends as a child has. It is just to scare the kids into being good.
BUT
As a small child on the country side, in bavaria, it is indeed dangerous to go outside after street lanterns turn on. Because there are often teenagers dressing up like a Krampus and they will beat kids or make them do ugly things. And that can indeed get very messy. And it is not just scaring kids, normal parents will not let their kids out after dark on those two days.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user