Saint Nicholas is coming soon!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2012, 12:16 AM
RE: Saint Nicholas is coming soon!
Mom always put candy in our shoe on this day. I loved finding this when I was still sleepy eyed getting boots on to go to school.

That's all I knew about St Nick, that he did this in a town for kids (from what mom explained, or rather what I retained from what Mom explained Big Grin )
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
01-12-2012, 06:43 AM
What we learnt back then in religion, at school was a different story.
there was a boy in Myra, called Nikolaus, and his paretns died when he was young. He inherited lands and gold and so on, he was a very rich boy but he was very unhappy. So after a dream he started giving things to the poor people at the gates of the city. First he gave his clothes and then he started giving them fruits from his garden.
When he became older he became a bishop. And he learnt about Jesus saying that if you wanna be his follower, you have to give you things to the poor. So he gave everything he had to the poor and went on a long journey. One day he came back and shortly before, the bishop in his town died so he was made bishop and he kept giving fruits and gingerbread to the poor on every of his birthdays. He made it a kind of holiday. And he died on December 6th *looking up the year* 352.
So people kept celebrating.
BUT I have no idea why the boot *lol*

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2012, 07:10 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 07:14 AM by DLJ.)
(30-11-2012 09:49 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-11-2012 09:44 AM)Vera Wrote:  We just eat fish and more precisely - carp.
Like this (stuffed with onions and walnuts):
[Image: nikulden+sharan.jpg]

That's a Christmas eve meal in Bavaria. Most have carp, we had trout.

Oooh! You've got me feeling all nostalgic now.
My mum's Austrian so the big day was christmas eve.
Biiig, fuckov trout staring up from the middle of the table.

It used to scare me so I would ask for fish fingers.

What are you guys doing to me?
Earlier today, I watched Tim Minchin's White wine in the sun posted by Kim a year ago!

I got quite teary.

[note to self: harden the fuck up]

01-12-2012, 07:24 AM
(01-12-2012 07:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  It used to scare me so I would ask for fish fingers.
I got quite teary.
[note to self: harden the fuck up]
Yeah, whole fish are scary, aren't they? Plus, their eyes are always full of silent reproach.

(As for the tears, it's either hormonal or you're trying to emotionally manipulate someone. Either way - snap out of it immediately.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
01-12-2012, 07:41 AM
(01-12-2012 07:24 AM)Vera Wrote:  (As for the tears, it's either hormonal or you're trying to emotionally manipulate someone. Either way - snap out of it immediately.)

I hear you.
Maybe I'm going through 'the change'.

Erase: open fire / shining eyes of grandparents and small children / smells of mother's Austrian cheesecake and apple spice cake / inner glow of knowing you have chosen exactly the right presents that get a sincere gasp / christmas guardian crossword set by Araucaria.

Upload: memories of family arguments / ... nope, nothing further required...

Normality restored... move along... nothing to see here.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
01-12-2012, 07:50 AM
(01-12-2012 07:41 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I hear you.
Maybe I'm going through 'the change'.

Erase: open fire / shining eyes of grandparents and small children / smells of mother's Austrian cheesecake and apple spice cake / inner glow of knowing you have chosen exactly the right presents that get a sincere gasp / christmas guardian crossword set by Araucaria.

Upload: memories of family arguments / ... nope, nothing further required...

Normality restored... move along... nothing to see here.
Do you give private lessons? I need to learn how to do this, ASAP.

(maybe you are - been having hot flashes and palpitations recently? Mood swings? Irritability? Memory prob... Wait, what was I talking about? And who are you? Consider )

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
01-12-2012, 08:13 AM
(01-12-2012 07:50 AM)Vera Wrote:  Do you give private lessons? I need to learn how to do this, ASAP.

(maybe you are - been having hot flashes and palpitations recently? Mood swings? Irritability? Memory prob... Wait, what was I talking about? And who are you? Consider )

Nothing to it.
It's called 'denial'... a much underrated virtue and not difficult to learn.
My rate is 2k per day.

I get all those symptoms but only if I haven't had a smoke and a drink in the previous hour.

I do have selective memory but that's not a problem, it's an advantage.

01-12-2012, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 08:27 AM by Vera.)
(01-12-2012 08:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Nothing to it.
It's called 'denial'... a much underrated virtue and not difficult to learn.
My rate is 2k per day.

I get all those symptoms but only if I haven't had a smoke and a drink in the previous hour.

I do have selective memory but that's not a problem, it's an advantage.

My motto in life.
(The problem with selective memory is you (or at least I) tend to forget the bad stuff and only remember the good parts)

EDIT: Your rate's too rich for my blood Sad

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
01-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Ah!
That's where you're going wrong.

Erase the good bits. They don't teach us anything except to repeat the experience... which is rarely as good the second or third time.

Upload the bad bits. Keep them front and centre.
I'm actually earning a decent living simply by talking about the lessons I've learned.

Keep on trying new stuff and learn from mistakes.

How did we get from St Nik to this?

Bringing it back to the OP...
Stuff cosy tradition, break the bonds of the past and experiment with the dangers of the dangerous.

Or something like that.

01-12-2012, 08:47 AM
(Has there ever been a thread here that didn't end up some place completely different from where it started? Sorry, DomSmile)

Yeah, but this way you're only focusing on the bad stuff, and the more you focus on something, the more you tend to blow it out of all proportion and you (generic you) end up being one sorry, bitter individual.

But yeah, only a fool does the same thing, expecting a different results (MAJOR fool here, at least when it come to people).

But yeah, traditions don't mean much. Unless you get candy, of course. [Image: funnysmiley37.gif]