Saint Nicholas is coming soon!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2012, 08:52 AM
RE: Saint Nicholas is coming soon!
(01-12-2012 08:47 AM)Vera Wrote:  ... end up being one sorry, bitter individual.

Obviously you are referring to Chas.

Chas, anything to add?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2012, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 09:07 AM by Vera.)
(01-12-2012 08:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-12-2012 08:47 AM)Vera Wrote:  ... end up being one sorry, bitter individual.

Chas, anything to add?
Meeeow!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
01-12-2012, 09:32 AM
I loved all that stuff as kid, including the trout. I was so proud when I was old enough to take the bones out of my own trout!

Now I find these customs interesting. They usually hail form long ago in history, and in Europe they can be different from town to town. With increased mobility of folks, this is all getting lost and people end up with one unified custom, like we have here in the states.

Saint Niklas never did get imported to the states when people moved here. As a kid, it was great fun to have. Kids today don't have that sort of excitement anymore, except if they get games for xmas or whatever they really want.

The main thing about these things was the excitement, the anticipation, and a sort of euphoria.

I love these memories.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
01-12-2012, 09:41 AM
(01-12-2012 09:32 AM)Dom Wrote:  I loved all that stuff as kid, including the trout. I was so proud when I was old enough to take the bones out of my own trout!

Now I find these customs interesting. They usually hail form long ago in history, and in Europe they can be different from town to town. With increased mobility of folks, this is all getting lost and people end up with one unified custom, like we have here in the states.

Saint Niklas never did get imported to the states when people moved here. As a kid, it was great fun to have. Kids today don't have that sort of excitement anymore, except if they get games for xmas or whatever they really want.

The main thing about these things was the excitement, the anticipation, and a sort of euphoria.

I love these memories.
Absolutely! I still remember the things we used to do as kids, esp. with my grandparents, as they knew more of that stuff, than my parents. It wasn't about getting things, it was about doing things.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
01-12-2012, 03:12 PM
(01-12-2012 08:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Chas, anything to add?
Fuck you.

But I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-12-2012, 03:31 PM
(01-12-2012 03:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-12-2012 08:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Obviously you are referring to Chas.

Chas, anything to add?
Fuck you.

But I mean that in the nicest way possible.

And verily, it is received as such.

Wink

02-12-2012, 04:08 PM
As a Belgian, I'd rather see our Saint Nicholas disappear. The offspring of kitschy Catholicism and Dutch colonialism, pumped up for commercial gain. We shouldn't tell children lies, and especially not let such lies with religious origins enter secular society again.

And thanks to American influence, we now have his fat cousin Santa Claus as well. Tongue

I'd rather see a secular version of the English Father Christmas become the gift-giver, and one that is explicitly symbolic.
[Image: jr55107-father-xmas-cu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Tetrarch's post
03-12-2012, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2012 12:35 PM by Luminon.)
When I was little kid, we had always St. Nicholas come in the evening 6th. Always with an angel bearing gifts and a scary devil with a rustling chain and a sack. Usually it went fine, we said some kid poem and got our sweets. But one time I remember... My older brother has always been a bit rough and hyper and this time he was extra naughty. Not showing enough fear, he almost got himself stuffed into the sack, the devil had him halfway in. Probably to take him to Hell.Ah, the memories...
Anyway, the good children got sweets and the bad children got coal, onions and potato peels.

So you can understand my dislike of all-American Santa Klaus. St. Nicholas was a real bishop, who was good at settling conflicts and inherited lots of money and was able to bail out one man's daughters before he had to sell them into a brothel. Sex slave trade is a serious business!
But nope, Dutch immigrants changed his name to Sinterklass and now the Americans ave their Coca Cola-gulping Santa, climbing chimneys and riding a flying sledge. I wonder who invented that and if he was smoking some holly or mistletoe.

Btw, Tetrarch, that one looks more like a druid, just about to sacrifice some virgin to bring a curse on Roman invaders!

Btw2, this year the dorm does a contest for the most sinful and naughty floor of students. The sinners will get a bag of coal, good for morning grill. I suggested the fifth floor, there's some crazy jackass who's dragging the chair on the carpet and it does hell of a ruckus on my ceiling.

03-12-2012, 02:54 PM
(03-12-2012 12:31 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Btw, Tetrarch, that one looks more like a druid, just about to sacrifice some virgin to bring a curse on Roman invaders!
Yes, he does look quite druidic, but sacrificing virgins? I'd imagine him spouting some vague philosophical phrases. Shy

That would work, though. We can replace his demonic/racist/elvish helpers with virtuous angelic helpers. Reason, Rectitude and Responsibility? Those seem to be good values to instill into our children. And it would be obvious that they're values, and not real persons.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why do banned members keep coming online here? The Germans are coming 10 257 01-01-2014 02:46 AM
Last Post: Caveman
  Saint Peter parody (WKUK) Vosur 0 179 03-01-2013 08:44 AM
Last Post: Vosur
  The First Church of Our Prophet Saint Sylvester. itsacow 3 309 14-04-2012 08:26 PM
Last Post: Erxomai
  Coming Out As... dclarion 8 576 16-03-2012 11:15 AM
Last Post: Leela