Saint or Monster?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2015, 11:17 PM
Rainbow RE: Saint or Monster?
(11-07-2015 05:33 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I'm late to the game of saying hello...but hello and welcome!

I, like many others here, am also an escapee from indoctrination. The worst kind: Fuckedupmental ....(errr I mean Fundamental) Pentecostalism. My point is, i fell into many of the categories you described. But who wouldn't if you were taught from birth to throw logic / reason to the wind and just rely on god, hallelujah! Ugh.

Thank you tonechaser77 for your reply. I will always try to reply. Unfortunately, there is no punishment for parental ignorance. If there were, religious child abuse would be on the top of the list. Do you know what happened to the first person, in ancient times, that exposed the first con. He was killed by mob protecting the con artist. You are very luck to be free of the religious mob mentality. Stay free and multiply. Thanks for listening. Shell Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2015, 01:22 AM
Rainbow RE: Saint or Monster?
Hi, I'm Shelly. I've been an atheist since I stopped believing in Santa Clause. My problem with all religions is how do they make rational men/women behave like saints or monsters? How could any serious rational human being spend the rest of his/her life worshipping a bearded white male in pious servitude? Can a club of over 2 billion people be wrong, or are they just attention seeking, weak willed, perverted, ego and megalomaniacs, or just plain delusional? There had to be some purpose or patterns that is common in all religions. There Is!!

[list]
[*]Precepts or Doctrines are not intellectually challenging and written in story form.
[*]There is a promise of everlasting bliss or enlightenment through atonement and servitude.
[*]INTERPRETATION is just another word for truth in religious rhetoric.
[*]Being unable to prove that another dimension exist only means that it must really exist, e.g., a person on the TV screen is unaware that an audience exist.
[*]No religious elder will offer any scientific evidence for peer review, or successfully defend that evidence at any scientific convention of any discipline.
[*]Even if you are not rich or powerful, be docile and obedient. It is only when you are dead that you will be rewarded.

I suppose that if the numbers agree that SHIT is good enough to eat, there will be a new addition to the menu.: drool: It would be great if people would just come together to celebrate how incredibly lucky we are to experience life through our senses, considering all the events that could have gone wrong.:

Our society has the potential to improve so much suffering in the world, and lead the way in new research and developments, and also provide opportunities for all to reach a minimum standard of happiness and security. What we don't need is imaginary solutions to real problems. Please, don't let religion dumb us all down.: heart:: Shell
[+] 1 user Likes ShellShilo's post
12-07-2015, 04:56 AM
RE: Saint or Monster?
testing
12-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Shelly - We're pretty informal and laid-back, in here. Respectfully, though you sound as intelligent as anyone here, your highly stilted and formal tone, as well as the patterns that gave the appearance of "human pretending to be a bot" are deeply off-putting to us regular humans. Wink

I think if you try loosening up a bit, in here, you will find your transition to acceptance in the group is smoother than it may seem to be going right now (or at least, how it appears to be going, from my outside POV), and that we will respond more frequently to your insightful ideas. I like the list you posted above, and think it is most definitely worth a discussion, but I keep talking myself out of responding because I just don't want to deal with the artifice of your formal politeness. That is why I asked if it was a cultural thing, for you, since I could force myself to adjust if that turned out to be the case, rather than simply a personality quirk that made interaction with you more difficult.

TTA is a great forum, and we cover many deep and interesting topics. It's certainly about free exchange of ideas as well as often fierce debate, where the goal is not "to win", as you said before, but to better-establish that your premises are valid and your logic solid. Then we all win, because part of the atheist mindset is acceptance of the scientific method, which is based on skepticism, testing, peer-review, and most importantly, changing one's mind when one is proven wrong by said peers.

So relax! We're pretty friendly around here, overall, I think you'll find, but still very human... I'm not sure the latter is a compliment. I'll tag that one as "neutral descriptor" in my mental tally-book.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
12-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Yeah, Shell, you are sounding far too intelligent please dumb it down a bit, would ya Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
12-07-2015, 01:46 PM
In no rational universe could "relax" be taken for "be dumb". I'd be very disappointed if an intelligent woman hid her intelligence around me, for any reason.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
12-07-2015, 01:47 PM
(12-07-2015 01:46 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  In no rational universe could "relax" be taken for "be dumb". I'd be very disappointed if an intelligent woman hid her intelligence around me, for any reason.

I was just fucking with you. Don't get your panties in a bunch Tongue
12-07-2015, 02:42 PM
No way to stop the bunching... my problem is I can't always locate my Pearl-Handled Bunch Puller in time.

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
12-07-2015, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2015 03:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-07-2015 01:22 AM)ShellShilo Wrote:  Hi, I'm Shelly. ... There had to be some purpose or patterns that is common in all religions. There Is!!

• Precepts or Doctrines are not intellectually challenging and written in story form.
  • There is a promise of everlasting bliss or enlightenment through atonement and servitude.
  • INTERPRETATION is just another word for truth in religious rhetoric.
  • Being unable to prove that another dimension exist only means that it must really exist, e.g., a person on the TV screen is unaware that an audience exist.
  • No religious elder will offer any scientific evidence for peer review, or successfully defend that evidence at any scientific convention of any discipline.
  • Even if you are not rich or powerful, be docile and obedient. It is only when you are dead that you will be rewarded.

Hello ShellShilo. I hope you will find comfort and fellowship here. I look forward to enlightening and edifying dialogue with you. Your premises are sound.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-07-2015, 03:28 PM
(12-07-2015 02:42 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  No way to stop the bunching... my problem is I can't always locate my Pearl-Handled Bunch Puller in time.

I'll see if I can find one on ebay for you... Laugh out load