Salmon? Need some help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2017, 02:21 PM
Salmon? Need some help.
I suppose I need to add more fish to my diet and salmon has been suggested. I don't think I have ever eaten salmon....so, what do I look for when buying it and how do I prepare it? I am not adventurous when it comes to food and cooking so I need simple, no-nonsense advice. Confused

Thank you for anyone with some ideas to share.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2017, 02:31 PM
RE: Salmon? Need some help.
Our Food Lion sells a pre-breaded with chipotle seasoning version of it that we REALLY like. And I generally don't like chipotle. It has the cooking direction printed on the back of the pack. It also goes on sale regularly.

I also make salmon patties from canned salmon. Since I don't measure ingredients and just know how to judge the consistency before pan-frying them in oil, I probably couldn't offer you a recipe with quantities, but the ingredients are canned salmon, self-rising flour, garlic powder, one egg, onions, saltine crackers, and a little salt and black pepper. Try to get the patties to about the consistency of a hamburger patty by adjusting the crackers and flour up a little at a time until the consistency is not too wet.

DON'T buy the salmon in the frozen food section that's in a bag. It tastes awful and from what I've read the stuff they use to fast-freeze it is horrible for you.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 3 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
11-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Buy fresh.

Squeeze some lemon on it (makes the texture perfect)

Grind some pepper on it

Paint or spray some oil on it

Pop in 400 degree oven.

Cooking time depends on the size of it - so just take a fork and pull on it every few minutes. It should flake apart and be pink and juicy inside.

Overcooking is bad, it doesn't take long to cook at all. If you do overcook it and it's dry as a popcorn fart (hubby's expression Smile ) make tuna salad - erm, salmon salad out of it.

Most people who hate fish make an exception for salmon. There are 1000 ways to prepare it, but the above is simple, fast and fairly fail proof. Tastes wonderful (unless you overcook it! Tongue )

You can also pop it in a hot pan, it's easier to watch that way. If it's cooked on the bottom and not on top, turn it over and take the pan off the heat. It will be ready in a couple minutes.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
11-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Just make sure you find a secure foothold, so you don't slip and plunge to your death Rolleyes

[Image: hA7nsFE.gif]

Sorry, couldn't help myself (when *have* I been able to Blush ) Glad to see you're doing better!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 7 users Like Vera's post
11-09-2017, 02:48 PM
Ya'll are making me hungry!
11-09-2017, 03:08 PM
I second the salmon patties suggestion above.

I would make it even simpler:

Open a can of salmon, use a fork to mush the salmon up into a paste (including bones and skin: you won't taste them and they are super good for you)
Add teaspoon of dried dill (or tablespoon of chopped fresh),
Maybe add a little finely chopped onion or celery for crunch(if you want),
Gradually add breadcrumbs, mixing well (seasoned, stale, whatever you have) until you have a pretty firm consistency
Then bind it all with a bit of mayonnaise.
Adjust the amount of breadcrumbs until you have something that holds together reasonably well. (You can also taste and alter the seasoning , something you obviously can't do with ground beef)
Shape into patties, crush some extra breadcrumbs into either side (if you want)
Refrigerate for 30 minutes or so.
Fry 'em up for about 30 seconds a side on medium heat in a lightly oiled pan (or bake until heated through)
Serve with lemon wedges Smile

Ok, now I know what I'm making for supper ...

Aside from that, poached salmon is DELICIOUS and SUPER EASY although more expensive since you need to buy a bigger piece and it should be fresh.
This recipe from the Joy of Cooking is ALWAYS a hit and so good I've made it for Christmas dinner.
(I just use an ordinary mayo to which I add lemon or lime juice, dill, capers, whatever ... it can be especially dressed up if you stuff a whole poached salmon with small cocktail shrimp!)

Joy of Cooking also has an excellent recipe for baked salmon in butter, but this recipe is very similar and seems quite nice (don't worry, you don't use that much butter given the size of the fish)

Personally, I look for organic or wild-caught salmon. Recently (in the past five years or so) I can't seem to digest farmed salmon. Makes it more expensive but so much tastier too.
I prefer Pacific salmon to Atlantic salmon, when possible. They are quite different.

Wherever you buy fish, be sure to give it the sniff test: the air at a really good fishmonger's will smell slightly briny but NOT fishy. Freshness is SUPER important for fish and seafood.
If possible, purchase and cook on the same day.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
11-09-2017, 03:27 PM
(11-09-2017 02:31 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Our Food Lion sells a pre-breaded with chipotle seasoning version of it that we REALLY like. And I generally don't like chipotle. It has the cooking direction printed on the back of the pack. It also goes on sale regularly.

I also make salmon patties from canned salmon. Since I don't measure ingredients and just know how to judge the consistency before pan-frying them in oil, I probably couldn't offer you a recipe with quantities, but the ingredients are canned salmon, self-rising flour, garlic powder, one egg, onions, saltine crackers, and a little salt and black pepper. Try to get the patties to about the consistency of a hamburger patty by adjusting the crackers and flour up a little at a time until the consistency is not too wet.

DON'T buy the salmon in the frozen food section that's in a bag. It tastes awful and from what I've read the stuff they use to fast-freeze it is horrible for you.

Yeah, commercially frozen salmon sucks. All fish sold like that sucks. I have frozen fresh salmon after vacuum packing it and it's fine that way. Dunno what the heck all they do to that frozen supermarket fish, but it sucks big time.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-09-2017, 04:21 PM
(11-09-2017 03:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yeah, commercially frozen salmon sucks. All fish sold like that sucks. I have frozen fresh salmon after vacuum packing it and it's fine that way. Dunno what the heck all they do to that frozen supermarket fish, but it sucks big time.

Not true. Costco frozen fish are sashimi quality.

#sigh
11-09-2017, 04:25 PM
(11-09-2017 02:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I suppose I need to add more fish to my diet and salmon has been suggested. I don't think I have ever eaten salmon....so, what do I look for when buying it and how do I prepare it? I am not adventurous when it comes to food and cooking so I need simple, no-nonsense advice. Confused

Thank you for anyone with some ideas to share.

If you don't like salmon there are other high-omega 3 fish. I like anchovies and herring better than salmon myself.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-09-2017, 04:33 PM
There are many ways to cook salmon. An easy way is to wrap it in foil with butter and lemon and bake it.

Or...

Whole Roasted Salmon with Bay Leaf & Rosemary
Ingredients
1 large Australian Salmon,
cleaned
olive oil
salt
4 bay leaves
a few sprigs rosemary
1 lemon, sliced

Method
Preheat oven to 200C. Make sure the fish is descaled and clean.

Salt both sides of the fish and the inside.

Insert the bay leaves and rosemary into the cavity.

Grab a baking tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and place a few of the slices of lemon in a row in the middle of the tray. Place the fish on top. Place the remaining slices of lemon on top of the fish,drizzle with more olive oil and pop in the oven until crispy and golden on top, about 30 - 40 minutes depending on the size of your fish.

Serve with salad and steamed greens.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post