Salmon? Need some help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2017, 05:22 PM
RE: Salmon? Need some help.
I like to put canned salmon on a bed of lettuce with a dollop of mayonnaise. It's a meal in itself. Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
11-09-2017, 05:41 PM
When my gal comes down in a few weeks, I'll be grilling us some salmon over mesquite. Yes, I have a grilling cage. I'll offest-grill it, basting it in butter and fresh lemon juice, seasoned with a little salt, fresh-ground black pepper, and cautious amounts of rosemary and basil. I don't know what she'll make for the sides but I sure am looking forward to it -- I haven't grilled salmon in ten years or so.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
11-09-2017, 06:35 PM
(11-09-2017 04:33 PM)Banjo Wrote:  There are many ways to cook salmon. An easy way is to wrap it in foil with butter and lemon and bake it.

Or...

Whole Roasted Salmon with Bay Leaf & Rosemary
Ingredients
1 large Australian Salmon,
cleaned
olive oil
salt
4 bay leaves
a few sprigs rosemary
1 lemon, sliced

Method
Preheat oven to 200C. Make sure the fish is descaled and clean.

Salt both sides of the fish and the inside.

Insert the bay leaves and rosemary into the cavity.

Grab a baking tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and place a few of the slices of lemon in a row in the middle of the tray. Place the fish on top. Place the remaining slices of lemon on top of the fish,drizzle with more olive oil and pop in the oven until crispy and golden on top, about 30 - 40 minutes depending on the size of your fish.

Serve with salad and steamed greens.

That's how my gramma fixed trout.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Reducetarian, I never would have thought of using mayo! But now, since I am a Miracle Whip person for wherever mayo is listed, I'm gonna have to try that but with MW. But curious---why refrigerate it before cooking? What does that do?

On the bags of frozen fish fillets: I've also found references like this one in the past few years (including about salmon). Supposedly there isn't enough to hurt us but...

"May 3, 2011 - Much of the tilapia farmed in China is frozen and then treated with carbon monoxide, a gas that prevents meat and seafood from discoloring as it ages. When it is thawed, it looks like new. ... While it is illegal to sell fish treated with carbon monoxide in the European Union, it is permissible in the United States."

Maybe it's psychological but as soon as I read that several years ago I said "that's that horrendous taste I tasted when we bought bags of frozen fish on sale!"

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
11-09-2017, 09:38 PM
(11-09-2017 02:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I suppose I need to add more fish to my diet and salmon has been suggested. I don't think I have ever eaten salmon....so, what do I look for when buying it and how do I prepare it? I am not adventurous when it comes to food and cooking so I need simple, no-nonsense advice. Confused

Thank you for anyone with some ideas to share.

In a recent(ish) trip to Alaska, I learned what fresh, off-the-line salmon tastes like. Salmon in Florida has forever been ruined for me and salmon is my favorite protein. My advice would be to try farmed and wild salmon to see which one you like. From the wild variety, maybe try different salmon species like sockeye, coho, king or pink. I think farmed will always be called "Atlantic."

Canned salmon is also really good, but spring the extra dollar for wild caught salmon from Alaska. The difference in taste and texture is stark. You'll also want to specifically purchase boneless and skinless if you mean to get a salmon version of what you expect from a can of tuna.

Oh, and this seasoning is so good:
[Image: 1463685132070_Chef-Paul-Salmon.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
12-09-2017, 02:34 PM
(11-09-2017 04:33 PM)Banjo Wrote:  There are many ways to cook salmon. An easy way is to wrap it in foil with butter and lemon and bake it.

Or...

Whole Roasted Salmon with Bay Leaf & Rosemary
Ingredients
1 large Australian Salmon,
cleaned
olive oil
salt
4 bay leaves
a few sprigs rosemary
1 lemon, sliced

Method
Preheat oven to 200C. Make sure the fish is descaled and clean.

Salt both sides of the fish and the inside.

Insert the bay leaves and rosemary into the cavity.

Grab a baking tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and place a few of the slices of lemon in a row in the middle of the tray. Place the fish on top. Place the remaining slices of lemon on top of the fish,drizzle with more olive oil and pop in the oven until crispy and golden on top, about 30 - 40 minutes depending on the size of your fish.

Serve with salad and steamed greens.

Yabut, how I'm gonna get fresh Australian salmon in Wisconsin? Will fresh Coho salmon from Lake Michigan work?
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
12-09-2017, 02:50 PM
(11-09-2017 09:19 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Reducetarian, I never would have thought of using mayo! But now, since I am a Miracle Whip person for wherever mayo is listed, I'm gonna have to try that but with MW. But curious---why refrigerate it before cooking? What does that do?

Refrigerating the fish patties just helps them stick together better, making them easier to flip, and since you're not worried about cooking them thoroughly (i.e., you could eat the mixture raw), there's no reason not to.

I would be cautious about using Miracle Whip instead of mayo, just because I find Miracle Whip to be much sweeter than mayo, so you may need to adjust the seasoning to compensate.
I've also used a thicker sour cream instead of mayo to bind the patties: it has a nice tart taste that goes well with fish.
Also, adding lemon or lime juice to the mixture would help too.

Bon appetit Smile

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
12-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Never thought I'd say this...

But the salmon here in the pacific NW is supposed to be pretty good.

The man likes salmon chowder...I don't know since I'm allergic to fish.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-09-2017, 04:59 PM
(12-09-2017 02:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Never thought I'd say this...

Our salmon absolutely rocks! When I am in grilling mood, I grill it on wood planks. It's to die for.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-09-2017, 05:05 PM
(12-09-2017 04:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(12-09-2017 02:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Never thought I'd say this...

Our salmon absolutely rocks! When I am in grilling mood, I grill it on wood planks. It's to die for.

Yeah, he's done that a few times with the cedar planks or whatever...

Like I said, i can't eat it, so it's not really on my radar. Fish is the one thing that I can't cook for shit. I think the problem is when you can't eat something, it's hard to know when things are done, overdone...under...

You can't just taste it and know for the next time how to make it better. Fish is super fussy.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post