Salmon? Need some help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2017, 01:45 AM
RE: Salmon? Need some help.
(11-09-2017 02:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I suppose I need to add more fish to my diet and salmon has been suggested. I don't think I have ever eaten salmon....so, what do I look for when buying it and how do I prepare it? I am not adventurous when it comes to food and cooking so I need simple, no-nonsense advice. Confused

Thank you for anyone with some ideas to share.

[Image: broetchen-mit-seelachs-137069.jpg]
[Image: seelachseibaguette_klein.jpg]
[Image: Lachsbroetchen-201020572789.jpg]
[Image: 3782.jpg]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
13-09-2017, 02:48 AM
I've started eating loads of fish since being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Dodgy fats are implicated in many diseases of affluence, including cardiovascular disease.

I eat salmon, trout, tuna steaks (not tuna fish in a can) and mackerel. But I also use a lot of unrefined flax seed oil and don't have any butter or margarine (I pour oil on my bread instead). I don't cook with oil at all anymore at all, I bake fish in a baby oven and serve it with potatoes with oil dribbled over them and steamed greens.

The problem is that apart from the best extra virgin olive oil, all the oils that you will find in the supermarket have been heated, degummed, refined and all other kinds of processes applied to it so that it becomes something completely removed from the kind of oils that we find in nuts and seeds. Margarines and all the kinds of products that put in processed food to prolong the shelf life and to improve the texture are the worst. Read about it in Fats that heal and fats that kill. There is no healthy way to fry with oil. At all. But if you're going to do it, olive oil is the least unhealthy way because it's generally mainly mono-unsaturated and therefore more stable.

Flax seed oil has the highest Omega 3 content and I buy that directly from source and keep it in the freezer until I need it then keep it in the fridge. Any oil that you buy in a clear transparent bottle has been processed to shit because light and air makes oil go rancid very quickly. So make sure you buy oil in dark bottles and if you can buy stuff that has been kept in the fridge in a health food shop. Hemp seed oil has the best ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6, both of which are essential fatty acids that the body cannot produce itself. Unfortunately in the western diet we tend to get too much Omega 6.

I use flax seed oil on my cold pastas I have at work and use it instead of margarine on my bread. I've given up all dairy products and don't eat meat at all. It's either that or a future of disability. It quickly becomes the norm as your body relearns where to gets its nutrients from. Most diet is habit anyway.
13-09-2017, 03:01 AM
I like it crispy skin pan fried, too.
Two pans, two burners/rings - one very bloody hot indeed, one medium hot.
Do the skin first in the very hot pan. Drop it in skin side down. Sear the skin so it's nice and crispy.
Pull it out and drop it in the medium hot pan, flesh side down until done.
I can't give you times, unfortunately - burners/rings and pans all vary and I cook it by sight and smell because I've cooked it for years..
I like salmon any way it comes. Baked, fried, poached. A nice Asian salad dressing is good on cooked salmon with a side serve of green salad.
Hell. I just like fish: on my dinner plate and watching me eat their co-fishies through the aquarium glass.
I am a monster.
[+] 1 user Likes Sushisnake's post
13-09-2017, 03:12 AM
Google Tesco real food, always some great recipes on their site.

Get your own bleeding hymn book
13-09-2017, 04:32 AM
If you can find it (not very many markets carry it sadly), candied salmon makes for a divine snack Big Grin

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
13-09-2017, 05:07 AM
Salmon is great just cooked in the microwave and served with a wedge of lemon potatoes and vegetables. Trout is great grilled with lemon wedges too both are high in omega fatty acids which is great for the Heart
13-09-2017, 06:36 AM
(13-09-2017 03:01 AM)Sushisnake Wrote:  Hell. I just like fish: on my dinner plate and watching me eat their co-fishies through the aquarium glass.
I am a monster.

Heck, you probably even eat your co-mammals!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-09-2017, 08:39 AM
(13-09-2017 02:48 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I've started eating loads of fish since being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Dodgy fats are implicated in many diseases of affluence, including cardiovascular disease.

I eat salmon, trout, tuna steaks (not tuna fish in a can) and mackerel. But I also use a lot of unrefined flax seed oil and don't have any butter or margarine (I pour oil on my bread instead). I don't cook with oil at all anymore at all, I bake fish in a baby oven and serve it with potatoes with oil dribbled over them and steamed greens.

The problem is that apart from the best extra virgin olive oil, all the oils that you will find in the supermarket have been heated, degummed, refined and all other kinds of processes applied to it so that it becomes something completely removed from the kind of oils that we find in nuts and seeds. Margarines and all the kinds of products that put in processed food to prolong the shelf life and to improve the texture are the worst. Read about it in Fats that heal and fats that kill. There is no healthy way to fry with oil. At all. But if you're going to do it, olive oil is the least unhealthy way because it's generally mainly mono-unsaturated and therefore more stable.

Flax seed oil has the highest Omega 3 content and I buy that directly from source and keep it in the freezer until I need it then keep it in the fridge. Any oil that you buy in a clear transparent bottle has been processed to shit because light and air makes oil go rancid very quickly. So make sure you buy oil in dark bottles and if you can buy stuff that has been kept in the fridge in a health food shop. Hemp seed oil has the best ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6, both of which are essential fatty acids that the body cannot produce itself. Unfortunately in the western diet we tend to get too much Omega 6.

I use flax seed oil on my cold pastas I have at work and use it instead of margarine on my bread. I've given up all dairy products and don't eat meat at all. It's either that or a future of disability. It quickly becomes the norm as your body relearns where to gets its nutrients from. Most diet is habit anyway.

I have been told (by a nutritionist) that extra-virgin olive oil is fine when cold, but when heated, it can be bad for you (i.e. carcinogenic) because of its low smoking point. That's why I use cold-pressed organic avocado oil (albeit in the smallest quantities possible) for cooking, since it has one of the highest smoking points.

Also, I would shy away from tuna due to possible mercury accumulation as you move up the food chain (not a problem for smaller fishies like mackerel, trout and salmon).

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
13-09-2017, 08:58 AM
(13-09-2017 08:39 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  I have been told (by a nutritionist) that extra-virgin olive oil is fine when cold, but when heated, it can be bad for you (i.e. carcinogenic) because of its low smoking point. That's why I use cold-pressed organic avocado oil (albeit in the smallest quantities possible) for cooking, since it has one of the highest smoking points.

Also, I would shy away from tuna due to possible mercury accumulation as you move up the food chain (not a problem for smaller fishies like mackerel, trout and salmon).

Thanks. That's useful to know about the low smoking point of extra virgin olive oil. I don't cook at all with oil any more day to day, but I did buy avocado oil for pouring on vegetables in BBQs when on holiday because of the high smoke point. Although I've only had two BBQs this year which saved me going to the restaurant. It was really delicious. I bought loads of salmon to cook on it.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
13-09-2017, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2017 01:12 PM by adey67.)
(13-09-2017 08:39 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  
(13-09-2017 02:48 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I've started eating loads of fish since being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Dodgy fats are implicated in many diseases of affluence, including cardiovascular disease.

I have been told (by a nutritionist) that extra-virgin olive oil is fine when cold, but when heated, it can be bad for you (i.e. carcinogenic) because of its low smoking point. That's why I use cold-pressed organic avocado oil (albeit in the smallest quantities possible) for cooking, since it has one of the highest smoking points.

Nutritionists kind of remind me of that dodgy food babe (there's a podcast about her and David avocado Wolfe in the archives somewhere) I trust only dieticians myself at least they're properly qualified and most importantly professionally accountable and regulated. I would imagine that the chance of getting cancer from cooking your food in olive oil of any grade, virgin or otherwise, is miniscule although I'm happy to be proven categorically and scientifically wrong. The Italians French Spanish Portugese Greeks Turks & Tunisians all use olive oil for almost everything including cooking and they have some fairly impressive stats for longevity but each to their own if not cooking with olive oil makes folks feel happier and more secure that's great, go for it. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post