Salutations!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2015, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2015 03:25 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
RE: Salutations!!
Actually, I'm glad you're here. We have quite a few feminists among our ranks, as well as a huge number of us who are former fundamentalists (and whose families remain so, to our dismay and to their disgust at our apostasy). You might have a great deal to teach us. Just be prepared to stick to your guns in the face of criticism if you're convinced your evidence is solid, and to modify your views if you're proven wrong. "Citation Needed" is a common refrain, here, and it's not an insult... if you look at it from the point of view of skeptics, it's high praise, meaning "I will listen to your ideas when you present them in a form that grants them higher status than something pulled from one's own ass".

I'm fascinated by the study of intersectionality, a concept to which I was introduced by Melissa Harris-Perry, whose #Nerdland show I catch whenever I am able. (She's on Saturday and Sunday at 10AM-Noon Eastern on MSNBC). I adore MHP, and have learned more from her show than I would have possibly imagined when I first started watching.

There are few "hot button topics" here, in the sense that we all love to learn, and have few of the prejudices you experience among the family and social circles you now know. I think you will love it here. Welcome! Smile

Edit to Add: "among our ranks" = "including me", a proud feminist, and strongly of the opinion that "Feminism is the radical notion that women are people" (often wrongly attributed to Cheris Kramarae and Paula Treichler, authors of A Feminist Dictionary, but actually written by Marie Shear in her review of that book).

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
08-08-2015, 04:08 PM
(08-08-2015 01:34 PM)PrettyGirlRock Wrote:  Hi there. I guess I'm one of the new kids here and I should probably introduce myself Smile

I used to be a very devout, and conservative, Christian. Then around summer or fall last year, I started to question a lot of things about my faith and about Christianity in general. A lot of personal things that happened and are still happening in my life made me question, as well as the things I see that happen in the world and some rational philosophical concepts, like the problem of evil or the problem of hell. From then to now, I went from a conservative Christian to a liberal Christian to a Christian deist to a regular deist to an agnostic to an agnostic atheist to just an atheist. I still consider myself agnostic, because I really just don't know and I will probably never really know if a god really does or doesn't exist, but I'm definitely more on the atheist side now. I don't really know a lot of other atheists and I live in a family that is pretty religious. I guess I want a support system for my beliefs (or lack thereof) and a place where I can talk to other atheists about religion or other topics and not have to worry about offending anyone. I like talking to other atheists, they can see where I'm coming from a lot of the times and they see things through an objective, secular, and rational lens and they don't bring God or religion into things.

Other things about me...I'm atheist but really struggling with the concept of anti-theism. I don't really like it but I find myself having some anti-theist tendencies at times. So I kind of want to get that sorted out. I am African-American and I find it interesting that there aren't many atheist African-Americans. I'm bisexual and I think that was one of the reasons why I didn't want to stay a Christian anymore. I'm also an intersectional feminist and a womanist, but I won't talk about that much unless someone brings it up because I've noticed that it's a hot, hot, hot button topic. I love to sing, draw, paint, and write. I want to help the world out in some way, I don't know what or how yet...but I'm going to do something. I'm young, and just going into 10th grade this upcoming school year, but I do like to have deep discussions and I like talking about things that matter. I feel like I'm a 30-year-old in a 15-year-old's body sometimes. I really can't relate to kids my age, but I get on with adults just fine Big Grin I hope you all don't mind my ignorance and immaturity when it does come to certain topics or concepts because I am still a kid.

Well...I think that's an okay introduction. I hope I can have great discussions and make a lot of great friends here <3 thank you!

Welcome aboard! Glad you found us. Let me know of you need anything

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
08-08-2015, 04:31 PM
In case you haven't surfed the whole board yet, PGR, what he (GwoG) is trying to say is that he's a vast storehouse of knowledge about religious doctrines and skepticism, and he can point you to the answer to pretty much anything you'd be curious to know, especially if you have to have doctrinal combat with your family/friends.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
08-08-2015, 05:28 PM
Hey there!

For a 15 year old, you are one smart cookie. I think you came to the right place to talk about the things you said you wanted to, but I think you'll find people will bring god and religion into things quite often... Tongue , I know what you mean so I'll stop pulling your leg.

I'm a rocker myself and anti-flag is a good band, I love that quote in your signature!

the teens are our most formative years, I am glad that you are forming into a rational and sane and compassionate human being!

I can tell we are going to be friends!

"It says you have to be saved in order to go to heaven. The way I see it, you only have to be yourself to go to hell!" - Marilyn Manson, Copps Collesium, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. (1997)

Censored
08-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Welcome aboard PGR! You'll find we're an eclectic bunch, with things in common and things we differ on. First and foremost, I applaud you for your skeptical nature in our present social climate (no easy feat). Individuals like yourself give me hope for the future of black America.

Don't be afraid to ask questions and engage in conversations. Also, the search function is a helpful tool to find relevant past discussions.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2015, 07:53 PM
You may appreciate this song, by well-known atheist rapper, Greydon Square.

"It says you have to be saved in order to go to heaven. The way I see it, you only have to be yourself to go to hell!" - Marilyn Manson, Copps Collesium, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. (1997)

Censored
[+] 1 user Likes Twiggy's post
08-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Hello! Big Grin
08-08-2015, 08:41 PM
(08-08-2015 01:34 PM)PrettyGirlRock Wrote:  Hi there. I guess I'm one of the new kids here and I should probably introduce myself Smile

I used to be a very devout, and conservative, Christian. Then around summer or fall last year, I started to question a lot of things about my faith and about Christianity in general. A lot of personal things that happened and are still happening in my life made me question, as well as the things I see that happen in the world and some rational philosophical concepts, like the problem of evil or the problem of hell. From then to now, I went from a conservative Christian to a liberal Christian to a Christian deist to a regular deist to an agnostic to an agnostic atheist to just an atheist. I still consider myself agnostic, because I really just don't know and I will probably never really know if a god really does or doesn't exist, but I'm definitely more on the atheist side now. I don't really know a lot of other atheists and I live in a family that is pretty religious. I guess I want a support system for my beliefs (or lack thereof) and a place where I can talk to other atheists about religion or other topics and not have to worry about offending anyone. I like talking to other atheists, they can see where I'm coming from a lot of the times and they see things through an objective, secular, and rational lens and they don't bring God or religion into things.

Other things about me...I'm atheist but really struggling with the concept of anti-theism. I don't really like it but I find myself having some anti-theist tendencies at times. So I kind of want to get that sorted out. I am African-American and I find it interesting that there aren't many atheist African-Americans. I'm bisexual and I think that was one of the reasons why I didn't want to stay a Christian anymore. I'm also an intersectional feminist and a womanist, but I won't talk about that much unless someone brings it up because I've noticed that it's a hot, hot, hot button topic. I love to sing, draw, paint, and write. I want to help the world out in some way, I don't know what or how yet...but I'm going to do something. I'm young, and just going into 10th grade this upcoming school year, but I do like to have deep discussions and I like talking about things that matter. I feel like I'm a 30-year-old in a 15-year-old's body sometimes. I really can't relate to kids my age, but I get on with adults just fine Big Grin I hope you all don't mind my ignorance and immaturity when it does come to certain topics or concepts because I am still a kid.

Well...I think that's an okay introduction. I hope I can have great discussions and make a lot of great friends here <3 thank you!

Very fine introduction indeed. I think I like you already.

Welcome aboard.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
08-08-2015, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2015 09:16 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Twiggy - At first I thought you were being condescending, assuming she'd like rap because she's black, but then I listened to the song, and liked it so much (I love that he referenced the company that made the movie Dogma, View Askew™, founded by Kevin Smith-- I literally walked across a picket line, down in Catholic south Louisiana, to see that movie) that I feel the lyrics need to be posted here, too:

Black Atheist
by Greydon Square

Chorus:

In lyrical debate I'm-ah throw everything plus the sink,
I'm a black atheist and there's more of us then you think,
Wha'd-ja think? That I would just sit up and just let you cheat?
Never as long as there's a be a single breath in me.

I'm-ah,
Keep attacking, every religious faction, every single section
If I didn't mention yours. Every missed rapture, every single infection
If I fail to mention yours then you'll get it next thing.

Greydon Verse:

Check it! They want to shut me up,
Wrap, shackle, and collar me,
I try to dumb it down but,
They wont even follow me.

That Scientology, them embrace other mythologies,
Like Joseph Smith, Zeus, the tooth fairy and Bartleby,

They try to threaten me,
Say I would get it the worse,
Even be cursed by characters,
From View Askewniverse,

Fuck you complaining for?
You think you living in hell?
When Muslim chicks cant ever wear pants,
Without going to jail?

Hell yeah, religions the problem,
That's why I stay on the topic,
That's why they wanna stop me
Like I'm assaulting their prophet,

Hate mail used to read,
They were gonna kill me and such.
Now they read,
I don't talk about other religions enough.
(Chorus)

Noob Verse:

God damned that I am,
Religions a corporate scam,
No voting for Uncle Sam
Enslaved with praying hands,
The birth of the straw man,
Whose part of his proclam,
Fight tribal with family clans,
Use rifles to conquer lands,

Our self is bought amassed in
Mass graves and abort disaster,
Kill gays in court-less pastures,
Enraging self-conscious rappers,
Engage in Helter Skelter,
The rays from the sun will meld them,
Past days I was feeling helpless,
I prayed for the god too selfish,
To escape from my mental prison,
Make days for cataclysm,
Instating the global system,
Embracing the earth collision,
Extinction level event,
From comets that's heaven sent
Atomic malevolence,
Trick knowledge from presidents.

Instead of studying evidence,
Pursuing benevolence,
Galactic alliances,
With secular scientists
Wonder astronomies,
Exploring the bottomless
Ignored by the populace
Off course with the apocalypse

(Chorus)

Greydon Verse:

Another form of population control,
The very idea and nature
Of somebody needing to save us is old
Religiosity is taking its toll,
You don't even challenge the old
World views they placed in your skull?!
That's why I got you beat,
With a whole array of common functions,
You're weak. You think you need,
A god to accomplish something.
Another classic case of co-dependence
If he's all that you say that he is
He probably negates his own existence

They exterminated him
He's in a form of Raids
Former slaves still serving the gods
Of former slaves.

I fight for the freedom of strangers
When I blurt lines
I'm chill on the mic
Like power of sixes first prime?
Ive been constantly evolving
Since the first line,
You can do one thing,
I can invert mine,

I dare your god to show up,
To damn my blasphemy.
I bet I have more questions for his ass,
Then he'll have for me.

Chorus (2X)

09-08-2015, 01:37 AM
Welcome!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.