Salvaging items from the Titanic.....is this grave robbing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2016, 10:26 PM
RE: Salvaging items from the Titanic.....is this grave robbing?
Sufficient time lapse from the event gives a sort of contempt for the feelings of the descendants. Nobody from Pompeii is going to complain, for instance. 100 years probably isn't long enough for us to disassociate our feelings from the event, given that that event has been thrown in our faces as a movie, for example.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
20-04-2016, 10:46 PM
(20-04-2016 02:11 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Don't know where to post this. I've been watching Titanic stuff on the internet for the last two days. There is a company that is going down and taking stuff from the Titanic, personal things like jewelry and shoes and other items and bringing it up. I don't know if they're allowed to sell it but it's being put on display.

Some of the stuff is mundane.... but the shoes .....the shoes. When the people drowned and sank to the bottom with their shoes on their feet eventually their bones are eaten or are destroyed by the environment and nothing is left of them but their shoes.

Should this be considered grave robbing? I go back and forth on this. I think the jewelry should be given to the relatives if they could be found but some of the stuff is kinda creepy.

What do you guys think?

Well,it was a cruise ship, you have no idea what shoes you're finding. Were the items in someone's cabin (abandoned by a survivor) or on a person didn't survive?

We saw the Titanic thing at Luxor in Vegas, which was pretty cool. They have a huge peice of the ship.

Also, for it to be considered a grave site, there must be intent -- like a cemetery where someone has paid for the plot, coffin etc. None of those people chose to die on that night in April, so as others have mentioned I believe it's an archeological site.

It doesn't mean you take everything -- but it's a story no one should forget. Seeing tangible items connects people to the event. Like a tea service, books, shoes (clothing), hair brushes or barrettes -- these are things we all can relate to.

Some of these people were hoping to start a new life.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-04-2016, 11:35 PM
(20-04-2016 02:11 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Don't know where to post this. I've been watching Titanic stuff on the internet for the last two days. There is a company that is going down and taking stuff from the Titanic, personal things like jewelry and shoes and other items and bringing it up. I don't know if they're allowed to sell it but it's being put on display.

Some of the stuff is mundane.... but the shoes .....the shoes. When the people drowned and sank to the bottom with their shoes on their feet eventually their bones are eaten or are destroyed by the environment and nothing is left of them but their shoes.

Should this be considered grave robbing? I go back and forth on this. I think the jewelry should be given to the relatives if they could be found but some of the stuff is kinda creepy.

What do you guys think?

I don't see a problem with it. I mean, isn't it about time they went down there and cleaned up the mess they made???!!! I think it's interesting how NOBODY objected to the rescue ships pulling DEAD bodies out of the water the days following the wreck. Let's face it.... dead bodies don't need "rescuing."

I've always hated it when people say things like it's "sacrilege" to disturb their graves. What???? Their graves??? No. It's not their intended graves and I doubt very many (if any) of them wanted a burial at sea.

It's funny how the rich folks were pulled out of the ocean and given a "proper" burial, but the poor saps without a life vest are left to become fish food.

And I get it... Not all rich people were found, and not all poor people were left without life vests. I also understand why they couldn't retrieve the people that sank. Humans have the ability to go clean up their mess now. Maybe they should just do it.

As far as who gets the stuff... I've always been kind of partial to the "finders keepers" school of thought. Finding the Titanic wasn't cheap... Someone needs to be paid for their efforts. Salvaging what's left is going to be hard work and expensive, again... someone deserves to be paid for their efforts.
21-04-2016, 12:50 AM
(20-04-2016 11:35 PM)Skittles Wrote:  As far as who gets the stuff... I've always been kind of partial to the "finders keepers" school of thought. Finding the Titanic wasn't cheap... Someone needs to be paid for their efforts. Salvaging what's left is going to be hard work and expensive, again... someone deserves to be paid for their efforts.

I dunno. The RMS Titanic Inc. company who brought the exhibition to South Africa where I saw it were explicitly a for profit company. Sure, finders keepers, but if it was your relatives who went down on that ship and some fuck came along, salvaged their personal effects and put them on display to put money into his pocket, would you be happy?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-04-2016, 01:26 AM
(21-04-2016 12:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(20-04-2016 11:35 PM)Skittles Wrote:  As far as who gets the stuff... I've always been kind of partial to the "finders keepers" school of thought. Finding the Titanic wasn't cheap... Someone needs to be paid for their efforts. Salvaging what's left is going to be hard work and expensive, again... someone deserves to be paid for their efforts.

I dunno. The RMS Titanic Inc. company who brought the exhibition to South Africa where I saw it were explicitly a for profit company. Sure, finders keepers, but if it was your relatives who went down on that ship and some fuck came along, salvaged their personal effects and put them on display to put money into his pocket, would you be happy?

Oh, I'm sorry but you're talking to the wrong person when it comes to this. I'll give you an example, it's easier.

Some of my grandmothers stuff was sold, by my uncle. It was sold to a dealer and if any of us wanted her stuff we had to PAY FOR IT. Did it cause problems with my mom and her sister against their brother? Yep. But the bottom line, and my own mother said this, the stuff my uncle sold was not hers or her sisters. They had not worked for it, nor had they purchased it. They had lived their whole lives without it. If they reaaaaaaaaaaaally wanted any of it, they could go buy it back. They both (my mom and aunt) agreed that if they were "THAT" concerned (at the time) they would have helped their brother or at least kept a better eye on him.

This is pretty much how I see the stuff with the Titanic. Not a single person alive today had anything to do with "the stuff" under the water. It's never been a part of their lives, they didn't purchase it, it wasn't important enough for them to work out how to get it, and it's possible it may actually become available to them through a sale if the salvage people decide to sell it.

I see it more as a win, win kind of thing. At least a relative has hope of seeing or even possibly buying back a piece of their history/ancestry.
21-04-2016, 01:39 AM
No, not really - The way I see it is that it is reclaiming lost treasures. The titanic site is not a grave, those people were not burried there at the extreme expense of their loved ones and had those items intentionally laid there with them.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
21-04-2016, 06:54 AM
I tend to see things differently. If you lose something or abandon something, it belongs to whomever finds it. Except if it is in a wallet and can be traced back to you. If you have a large ship that sunk, small boat that went down, jeep that falls through ice on a lake, abandoned house that hasn't been occupied in 30 years. I feel you lose your claim on it. The Titanic is just that. It may be under the waves, but it is still abandoned. Those that could make it off did, which makes it abandoned. If I go diving in the ocean and I come across a wreck that obviously is not going to be salvaged (brought back to operating on the surface), then whatever is inside should go to whomever finds it. If I am walking through the deep woods and find a house that has obviously not seen people in 20 years, then anything inside is fair game. Why should antiques be left to rot? Just because someone who obviously doesn't need them or even know that they are around thinks they own that property? As long as you are not smashing things or putting holes in walls, there is no harm.