Salvation Army

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2017, 11:23 AM
RE: Salvation Army
Fuck 'em. They used to (not sure if they still do) refuse help to LGBTQ people because of their religion.

They can fuck right off. They help people, good for them. But they don't make help universally available. So of course they can keep doing what they are doing, but I won't support them in any way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2017, 12:03 PM
(02-05-2017 11:23 AM)Emma Wrote:  Fuck 'em. They used to (not sure if they still do) refuse help to LGBTQ people because of their religion.

They can fuck right off. They help people, good for them. But they don't make help universally available. So of course they can keep doing what they are doing, but I won't support them in any way.

Nor should anyone else.

They proselytize before they offer any help. If your hungry and need a meal they offer a sermon before, during the meal and after.

They routinely refuse service to anyone who doesn't play along. Also because they're a church, charity and business -- they can legally discriminate against whoever they choose.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-05-2017, 03:12 PM

Read this tweet thread about how they treat the people they are "helping"

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
07-05-2017, 03:50 PM
They are a religious organization so the get no money from me.

I could get behind this charity though

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
07-05-2017, 04:43 PM
(02-05-2017 11:23 AM)Emma Wrote:  Fuck 'em. They used to (not sure if they still do) refuse help to LGBTQ people because of their religion.

This is verbatim from the Salvation Army Australia site (September 2014):

Salvation Army officers and staff treat every person who comes into our care with non-judgmental respect and acceptance, and have no desire or interest in trying to alter their sexual orientation.

• Salvation Army's social services operate without discrimination and a multitude of services are provided to people every day without concern or reference to a person's sexuality;
• No person is excluded from worship, fellowship or service in The Salvation Army on the basis of sexuality;
• No person is excluded from employment by The Salvation Army on the basis of sexuality; and
• No person is excluded from volunteering with The Salvation Army on the basis of sexuality.

The Salvation Army has always and continues to provide services to all people who are in need regardless of race, gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation, without discrimination, in accordance with its strong principles of social justice and in line with its international mission statement.

—As both you and the OP captainphilbo reside in the US, I'm guessing that the Salvation Army has different protocols in different countries. I know that the wider US population tends to largely follow the ideals of Christianity, and also tend to be very puritanical, so I'm also guessing that your Salvos are somewhat different and/or less tolerant than ours here in Australia.

We're more correctly defined now as a secular country, which term would attract widespread condemnation in America.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
07-05-2017, 05:04 PM
(07-05-2017 03:12 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  https://twitter.com/milknmuffins/status/...8728609793
Read this tweet thread about how they treat the people they are "helping"

Sorry mate, but this long series of tweets from muffins 'n milk (aka Heather Snow) is in all probability total bullshit. BTW, it's more than common practice to padlock fridges and freezers in short-term public hostels—for obvious reasons.

I also note that this woman is asking for cash donations on the SQUARE CASH site. Maybe, just maybe, if she got off her arse and genuinely tried to find—at the very least—some sort of casual work, she might not "have" to stay under the roof of an organisation she despises so much.

I have no time for (allegedly) destitute people that bite the hand that feeds them. (with apologies to Zhang Chang)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.