Salve

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Shocked Salve
I've followed the Thinking Atheist youtube account for a while and finally got around to joining here.

Despite having a mother who was raised catholic, attending a state school where there were prayers at the end of assembly, going to a christian youth group and having a GCSE in Religious Education I'd like to think I've been an atheist for most of my life. I was never particularly open about it until I got past about 16, mostly because I learnt early and hard that adults do not like being contradicted once you get past the age where it's cute.

I'm a historian and a classisist which both helped solidify my atheism. I study ancient religions and I can't really see any difference between what people believed then, and what people believe now other than the change in deities.

Strangely the lone christian in my college classical civilisation class did not respond well to that (or to a friend of mine refering to christianity as a cult).
Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2011, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2011 10:15 PM by defacto7.)
RE: Salve
Yeah, Sometimes it can be lonely out there in reason land.

Welcome and hope you find a niche.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Welcome welcome! Big Grin I really hope you enjoy it here, and I can't wait to see what you have to contribute! Big Grin

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Yay! Another person who appreciates mythology.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
Find all posts by this user