Salvete. Nomen mihi vrsvlvs est.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2016, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2016 07:21 PM by VRSVLVS.)
Salvete. Nomen mihi vrsvlvs est.
Greetings, my name is VRSVLVS.

For a year or so, I've been a listener to the thinking atheist radio show. For me the thinking atheist has mainly been a window into the crazy world of Christianity in the US. I myself am from the Netherlands, a very secular country where a very large part of the population calls them self openly either atheist or agnostic. Christianity is still a part of daily life in the Netherlands, but it is very much in the background and often isolated to small communities or general traditions that have been very much secularised.

I've been an atheist pretty much all my life, safe from a short period in high school when I had some flirtations with deism. These flirtations were quickly set aside as soon as I learned about evolution trough natural selection and physics.

Politically I'm on the far left. For the past 10 years I've been involved in marxist political groups. Particularly groups in the Trotskyist spectrum (although I would hesitate to call myself a Trotskyist these days). I call myself a communist, even though this word often leads to a lot of confusion and misunderstanding among people that have little experience with the political theories of the far left.

By trade I'm a bowyer and woodworker. I restore both antique furniture and make new furniture. So I am a carpenter buddy of Jesus.

My hobbies are history, archery and a bit of computer gaming. I'm An avid traditional archer and archery instructor. I'm also a member of a historic re-enactment group that focuses on the Roman presence in the Netherlands in the latter half of the first century CE.

On this forum I hope to give people from elsewhere in the world a perspective of how life is in a secular country like the Netherlands. For those who are interested I might also like to expound on marxist philosophy and how it connects with atheism. For the rest I might just be a history nerd.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2016, 07:21 PM
RE: Salvete. Nomen mihi vrsvlvs est.
(20-03-2016 07:13 PM)VRSVLVS Wrote:  Greetings, my name is VRSVLVS.

For a year or so, I've been a listener to the thinking atheist radio show. For me the thinking atheist has mainly been a window into the crazy world of Christianity in the US. I myself am from the Netherlands, a very secular country where a very large part of the population calls them self openly either atheist or agnostic. Christianity is still a part of daily life in the Netherlands, but it is very much in the background and often isolated to small communities or general traditions that have been very much secularised.

I've been an atheist pretty much all my life, safe from a short period in high school when I had some flirtations with deism. These flirtations were quickly set aside as soon as I learned about evolution trough natural selection and physics.

Politically I'm on the far left. For the past 10 years I've been involved in marxist political groups. Particularly groups in the Trotskyist spectrum (although I would hesitate to call myself a Trotskyist these days). I call myself a communist, even though this word often leads to a lot of confusion and misunderstanding among people that have little experience with the political theories of the far left.

By trade I'm a bowyer and woodworker. I restore both antique furniture and make new furniture. So I am a carpenter buddy of Jesus.

My hobbies are history, archery and a bit of computer gaming. I'm An avid traditional archer and archery instructor. I'm also a member of a historic re-enactment group that focuses on the Roman presence of the Netherlands in the latter half of the first century CE.

On this forum I hope to give people from elsewhere in the world a perspective of how life is in a secular country like the Netherlands. For those who are interested I might also like to expound on marxist philosophy and how it connects with atheism. For the rest I might just be a history nerd.

Interesting hobbies! Welcome to the forum. Smile
20-03-2016, 07:22 PM
(20-03-2016 07:13 PM)VRSVLVS Wrote:  Greetings, my name is VRSVLVS.

My hobbies are history, archery and a bit of computer gaming. I'm An avid traditional archer and archery instructor. I'm also a member of a historic re-enactment group that focuses on the Roman presence of the Netherlands in the latter half of the first century CE.

Welcome to TTA.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
20-03-2016, 07:25 PM
Welcome. Long as you don't try to make me remember too much of my school Latin....Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
20-03-2016, 07:26 PM
Greetings!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
20-03-2016, 07:30 PM
Salve.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
20-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Salvete. Vos noscere.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
20-03-2016, 08:16 PM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-03-2016, 08:57 PM
(20-03-2016 08:16 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Welcome!

100 rep's for Jenny. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-03-2016, 01:26 AM
Welcome!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.