http://m.samharris.org/blog/item/chapter-one

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
23-08-2014, 03:45 PM
RE: Sam Harris. 1st chapter of new book online for free
FROM this book.....
Quote:Buddhism in particular possesses a literature on the nature of the mind that has no peer in Western religion or Western science. Some of these teachings are cluttered with metaphysical assumptions that should provoke our doubts, but many aren’t. And when engaged as a set of hypotheses by which to investigate the mind and deepen one’s ethical life, Buddhism can be an entirely rational enterprise.

SAM SAM SAM, holy fucking shit SAM, your are a neurologist. All you are fucking doing is the same shit Christians who accept science and Muslims who accept science and try to prop up a fucking religion with science.

"Lets not poo poo Buddhism"

No your affinity to eastern religions SAM is no different than when the Egyptians pointed to the sun and said "Look we can point at the sun, sow we are right".

When you point out the practices of Buddhism as evidence that it is credible, all you are doing is ignoring that they are gatekeepers like a magician wont tell you how their trick is done.

But as a neurologist you know evolution is fact and Buddhism was not around at the start of our species anymore than the western religions you do rightfully rail against.

Point being no label is required to understand evolution and there is nothing new about human behavior and no one owns a patent on it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2014, 03:58 PM
If you are going to claim part of a religion is nutty like "metaphysics", how is that any different than saying "sure Jesus said love thy neighbor but also said "I bring not peace but a sword"
I also think Sam might be forgetting that just like the west, and all of our species for that matter, to say Buddhism has a path to peace is bullshit. The orient in it's entire history, just like all of humanity, has had it's divisions and infighting including Buddhism.

I have tolerated Sam for a long time because of his rightful criticism of Christianity and Islam but he is bat shit insane if he thinks Buddhism is some fountain of youth or path to worldwide peace.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
23-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Sam is doing what others do with other religions, get sucked into the majesty of woo, then try to retofit science into his own personal bias and predilections.

23-08-2014, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2014 04:11 PM by Brian37.)
There was a biology professor at Liberty University who used science to justify design. I am sorry Sam, you really are not doing anything differently trying to paint Buddhism as the magic pill to humanity's ills.

23-08-2014, 04:19 PM
All this book amounts to is "I am a neurologist so therefore Buddhism is the magic bullet to human suffering".

There is not one religion that has not tried to use science to prop up a religion. The fact that Sam claims not to believe in a god, does not mean one group's dogmatism or group think is a requirement for evolution to occur.

23-08-2014, 04:48 PM
The more I think about it Sam is looking more like the Buddhist version of Joel Osteen. Smile, throw science at people and your politeness will get them to forget you are propping up woo yourself.

23-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Well Brian, the original teachings of the Buddha were very secular and dispose of the necessity for god or a god like thing and/or worship. In fact, it rejects such notions... the original teachings do, anyway.

I think that all the different "sects" of Buddhism, where the worship of whatever local deity holds sway over a culture, is where Buddhism gets itself into trouble. That kind of Buddhism says to go with the flow on "certain things". For example: "don't kill or be directly or consciously responsible for the death of another living being. However, if you go to someone's house and all they have to offer you is meat to eat, that's ok because you didn't directly desire or require a life to be taken." Mmmyea ... devotion. Dodgy

From what I've gathered, the politics and social bullshit between the differing sects have seriously downgraded modern Buddhist sects into full-on engagement of theism. Much of modern Buddhism has become religious in a sense and resembles little of it's original secular philosophy.

I really don't know about this book because, other than a bit of the 1st chapter, I haven't read it. Might be interesting but I'm really not very into atheist literature. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
23-08-2014, 05:13 PM
GET OFF THE FUCKING GOD CLAIM CRAP.

It is still woo.

Humans fucked and produced offspring long before Buddhism existed, just like the other religion he rightfully rejects.

Humans, will fuck and reproduce no matter the artificial clubs we create.

24-08-2014, 08:10 AM
(23-08-2014 05:13 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  GET OFF THE FUCKING GOD CLAIM CRAP.

It is still woo.

Humans fucked and produced offspring long before Buddhism existed, just like the other religion he rightfully rejects.

Humans, will fuck and reproduce no matter the artificial clubs we create.

Dude, you know you can edit posts right? No need to make 500 posts.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post