Sam Harris. 1st chapter of new book online for free

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2014, 10:23 AM
RE: Sam Harris. 1st chapter of new book online for free
(24-08-2014 08:10 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(23-08-2014 05:13 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  GET OFF THE FUCKING GOD CLAIM CRAP.

It is still woo.

Humans fucked and produced offspring long before Buddhism existed, just like the other religion he rightfully rejects.

Humans, will fuck and reproduce no matter the artificial clubs we create.

Dude, you know you can edit posts right? No need to make 500 posts.

True, but I guess you never took time to think about something and came back later to post it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2014, 10:29 AM
(24-08-2014 10:23 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(24-08-2014 08:10 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Dude, you know you can edit posts right? No need to make 500 posts.

True, but I guess you never took time to think about something and came back later to post it.

If it's hours apart yeah, but you posted like 5 posts within minuets of each other which was kind of pointless when you could have just edited your first one each time.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
05-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Read the book. It isn't a love fest of Buddhism. He talks about the neurological changes that happen when someone meditates for long periods of time. It's very practical- not supernatural. I've practiced yoga for over a decade and have felt something "spiritual". As an atheist I often told myself to stop being silly. This book helps me understand this feeling and a lot more. The problem is that some atheists are willing to disregard his work based on a few paragraphs. His chapter on the value of meditation and the chapter on the functions of the left and right side of the brain were as insightful as anything I've read in a while. At the start of the book he says his bullshit detector is still working well. It's easy to criticize everything. This work a bit subtle and not - atheist good - theist bad - he goes way beyond that
[+] 1 user Likes Chrisinfp's post
05-10-2014, 10:17 AM
NO he is doing the same bullshit people who try to prop up other religions with science. It is the gatekeeper fallacy Neil points out in the the COSMOS series. Victor Stenger took SAM's premise on on his book "The New Atheism"

"Meditation" is a stupid gap word rooted in the same superstition as the word "spirituality".

You can train yourself to be calm and reduce stress. Just like Navy Seals can be trained to take long periods of body abuse.

Buddhism was not around 200,000 years ago nor was any modern religion for that mater. Humans still managed to fuck and reproduce when it did not exist.. Evolution is how we study life, not Buddhism, or Christianity or Taoism or Janism or Islam. SCIENCE not superstitions.

I still fail to see what his end goal is trying to make these stupid claims. The same range of human behavior in acts of cruelty and compassion existed the entire history of Asia and the Orient. There is nothing special about Buddhism at all.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Brian. Have you meditated ? It's really not possible to talk to you if you haven't. He's not propping up any religion. I'm with you on a lot of what you said but there is practical value in meditation. In the book he explains what he means bumy spiritual. It's free of Woo. I think he goes way beyond the traditional arguments a lot of us have.
http://youtu.be/9RW7yeHQX1U