Sam Harris: Islam or Islamaphobia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Sam Harris just posted this;
http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/islam...amophobia2

It is pretty damning about the true nature of islam. The organizers and leaders don't see themselves as radical because all their followers believe their hateful beliefs.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post
01-11-2013, 12:42 PM
RE: Sam Harris: Islam or Islamaphobia
I wish he would have asked one more question:

"Do you believe all infidels deserve to die, at our hands if necessary?"

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Skippy538's post
01-11-2013, 06:51 PM
I wanted to believe that extremism was a separate thing but now I can't see that.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
01-11-2013, 06:59 PM
(01-11-2013 06:51 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I wanted to believe that extremism was a separate thing but now I can't see that.

That's the very definition of islamophobia. These types of fear mongering, and radicalization is nothing new.

Substitute any other people.
"Look at these criminal and uneducated black people. So many are criminals. All blacks are criminals, and it's by their own doing."

Been there, done that. And we'll see more of this dangerous idiocy in the future. Just don't feed into it.
01-11-2013, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2013 07:25 PM by grizzlysnake.)
(01-11-2013 06:59 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 06:51 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I wanted to believe that extremism was a separate thing but now I can't see that.

That's the very definition of islamophobia. These types of fear mongering, and radicalization is nothing new.

Substitute any other people.
"Look at these criminal and uneducated black people. So many are criminals. All blacks are criminals, and it's by their own doing."

Been there, done that. And we'll see more of this dangerous idiocy in the future. Just don't feed into it.
I know that not all muslims have these views, but there are many who do. Isn't that something that is worth mentioning?
Islam is not a people. These things are in the quran.

01-11-2013, 07:30 PM
(01-11-2013 07:06 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I know that not all muslims have these views, but there are many who do. Isn't that something that is worth mentioning?

Define many?

I think there's the exact amount there should be.

1. Factoring in the mentally ill.
2. Factoring in the people influenced by the amount of wealth and power of Saudi Arabia and the US financing and spreading of extremism for their own ends.
3. Factoring in the anger of the those bombed, or invaded, or occupied in a region.
4. Factoring in the anger of those that relate to those mentioned in #3.
5. Factoring in the casual and overt prejudice, and having no where to turn.

There's the exact number of radicals as there should be. These factors applied to any other religion, ideology, or people would result in the exact same outcomes.

A billion well to do people, with a severe minority of mentally ill, or angry people that lash out, that reach out and hold onto anything they can to justify it.

If people really want to prevent these types of angry and ill people, ask WHY. Because even if these people targeted were atheistic, there would be some other belief or ideology. And demonizing "Islam", and leaving it at that, is just stupid and does more harm than good.
01-11-2013, 07:39 PM
I've tried hard to be tolerant of this religion... But I just can't do it any more. Why should I respect any organization that sees me (an atheist) as sub-human?

There is something very dangerous about Islam... We never see Christian or Jewish fundies threatening to "massacre" those who disagree...

I've lost my patience...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2013, 07:44 PM
No scary
01-11-2013, 08:00 PM
(01-11-2013 07:30 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 07:06 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I know that not all muslims have these views, but there are many who do. Isn't that something that is worth mentioning?

Define many?

I think there's the exact amount there should be.

1. Factoring in the mentally ill.
2. Factoring in the people influenced by the amount of wealth and power of Saudi Arabia and the US financing and spreading of extremism for their own ends.
3. Factoring in the anger of the those bombed, or invaded, or occupied in a region.
4. Factoring in the anger of those that relate to those mentioned in #3.
5. Factoring in the casual and overt prejudice, and having no where to turn.

There's the exact number of radicals as there should be. These factors applied to any other religion, ideology, or people would result in the exact same outcomes.

A billion well to do people, with a severe minority of mentally ill, or angry people that lash out, that reach out and hold onto anything they can to justify it.

If people really want to prevent these types of angry and ill people, ask WHY. Because even if these people targeted were atheistic, there would be some other belief or ideology. And demonizing "Islam", and leaving it at that, is just stupid and does more harm than good.
I see what your saying, people have many different reasons to become radicalized and no group is immune. I wouldn't blame Islam as a whole.

01-11-2013, 08:24 PM
(01-11-2013 12:33 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  Sam Harris just posted this;
http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/islam...amophobia2

It is pretty damning about the true nature of islam. The organizers and leaders don't see themselves as radical because all their followers believe their hateful beliefs.

Who are the organizers, and do they represent all of islam?