28-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Sam Harris believes in "God"
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/18/athei...light.html

Opinions?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2010, 08:18 PM
RE: Sam Harris believes in "God"
He's talking about what Thomas Jefferson described as "natures God", what I interpret to mean the forces of nature, the movement of light, the pull of gravity, etc. I more or less feel that way too, that there is some "creator" to this whole thing.

I don't believe it has sentience, that it answers prayers, or gives a rats rear about us on an individual level, or whether we live or die; at some point in time it will exhaust the nuclear fuel in our sun and the sun will in turn expand and consume this planet of ours. It's all part of the inevitable cycle of life, the universe and everything.

So, basically, I think his view is that he doesn't believe in some supreme being but he does believe nature itself is a higher power of sorts. At least, that's how I interpret it and how I've basically felt about it.

If I was to identify with any religion, I guess it would be Buddhism since I believe this is similar to what they believe as well.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
28-10-2010, 09:53 PM
It almost seems Deistic in some sense.
It's funny because this guy on facebook posted the link...and he's a conservative christian fundy. I was going to comment but I decided not to
28-10-2010, 10:57 PM
I think Albert Einstein had a similar view.He saw God as the sum of all laws that interact beautifully to maintain the universe.

God to some is no more than a projection of their idealized self.

Oh, BTW , if I'm not wrong , Buddhism preaches "God" is on the inside not outside of us. There is no power to worship , but you own to harness.
29-10-2010, 01:47 AM

This was a cheap headline for the article that suggests a tabloid journalist's style. I've already said in another thread that atheism and spirituality are in no way incompatible. It bothers me a bit that Sam Harris "shuns" the label of atheism, but ... not very much. I don't see anything shameful or problematic about admitting you don't believe in a deity. If some atheists are bothered by his spirituality, I say they should consider such an attitude as not dissimilar to those who accept religious dogma. There ... is ... no ... atheist ... dogma!! Atheists are thinkers, not bound to accept anything on faith and followers of no single creed, performers of no dogma. Sam Harris is a thinker and his spirituality is his own business.
Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2010, 09:52 AM
(29-10-2010 01:47 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  This was a cheap headline for the article that suggests a tabloid journalist's style. I've already said in another thread that atheism and spirituality are in no way incompatible. It bothers me a bit that Sam Harris "shuns" the label of atheism, but ... not very much. I don't see anything shameful or problematic about admitting you don't believe in a deity. If some atheists are bothered by his spirituality, I say they should consider such an attitude as not dissimilar to those who accept religious dogma. There ... is ... no ... atheist ... dogma!! Atheists are thinkers, not bound to accept anything on faith and followers of no single creed, performers of no dogma. Sam Harris is a thinker and his spirituality is his own business.

I agree, I was a bit bothered that he tried to associate himself from being an atheist (which he is) as if its wrong to be one.
29-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Is he running for political office or something ? Why avoid the atheist word?
It's like saying honesty is a bad word;let's use "factually correct" or "probable scenario" ...
W-T-F ?!!?
29-10-2010, 03:34 PM
All this mans is he thinks we can celebrate tradition and ritual without religious attachments.

I happen to agree.