Sam Harris interview on The Young Turks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2014, 03:08 AM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2014 03:55 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Sam Harris interview on The Young Turks
I know that Sam Harris has cause a bit of a kerfuffle on Bill Mahar's show with Ben Affleck. Cenk Uygur made Harris an open invitation to come on the network, and it looks like he took them up on the offer. I have not actually watched this myself yet, but I thought I'd post it for those who might be interested.

For additional context.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
25-10-2014, 03:18 AM
RE: Sam Harris interview on The Young Turks
Nice.. I was just about to go, oh I'll watch this quick.. 3 hours long, well that'll probably have to wait til monday for me to watch Cool

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
25-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Thanks, EK, that was a healthy discussion. A bit chaotic at points but overall it's the kinda thing of which I'd like to see more.

I had no inkling as to the background to it so thanks for posting those too.

Cheers. A perfect Saturday night for an introvert.

Smile

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
25-10-2014, 09:14 AM
Ben does not help the oppressed by coddling the insecurities of the oppressors.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
25-10-2014, 09:34 AM
(25-10-2014 03:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I know that Sam Harris has cause a bit of a kerfuffle on Bill Mahar's show with Ben Affleck. Cenk Uygur made Harris an open invitation to come on the network, and it looks like he took them up on the offer. I have not actually watched this myself yet, but I thought I'd post it for those who might be interested.

For additional context.

Here is the video TYT put out immediately after the Haris/Affleck incident. It is the first TYT vid I have ever downvoted and I don't even like Sam Harris all that much.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
25-10-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm glad we don't need to take CJ Werleman seriously anymore. I quit halfway through God Hates You, Hate Him Back because I felt like I'd read it before.

Then his serial plagiarism came to light, and I realized I had read it all before. Dodgy

I'm interested to know if anyone's opinion of Sam changed. I've always liked him, and I've read enough of his stuff and watched his interviews, debates and lectures, so I knew where he was being misrepresented, and if anything, I have more respect for him now just seeing how cool he's been while everyone's attacking him.

Of course, I always liked Cenk too, even when I disagreed with 99% of his politics and before the long interview I was a little disappointed. I was like "damn it Cenk! Not you too..." Sad But he redeemed himself.

Reza Aslan and Glen Greenwald can kiss my ass. I watched a video recently of Reza on Fox News defending his qualifications as a scholar of religion to write a book about Jesus. Their position was that as a Muslim he had no business writing about Jesus. His position was that it was his job and he's a professional. That's my problem with these guys. They're professionals and should know better. Intentional misrepresentation in order to discredit someone isn't acceptable behavior for serious scholars or journalists - especially when they choose to double down rather than apologize when presented with evidence for the misrepresentation. That's what hacks like CJ are for.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 4 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
25-10-2014, 03:29 PM
(25-10-2014 09:14 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Ben does not help the oppressed by coddling the insecurities of the oppressors.

Well stated.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
26-10-2014, 02:52 AM
I wanted to involve this in a thread I wanted to make overall on Islam. I want to know people's opinion on it overall from freedom of speech, towards religious theocracies, to ISIS. From religious groups that actually help other religious communities within Islam to the murder of Muslims in Myanmar. I want to know all of it. I think it would be an interesting topic but I don't want to be unfair of course. I do see problems like other religions but does it have more or less? I guess that is what I am currently wondering.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
26-10-2014, 03:14 AM
I could kinda see where ben was coming from with a few comments he had made, but really, he is just ignorant to be able to be talking about that high caliber of stuff with someone like Harris.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
26-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Sam Harris is right that what makes a religion dangerous is not only the text, and what large numbers of the believers agree the text means, but also what large numbers of believers are willing to actually do in support of it. That last part is what makes Islam more immediately dangerous worldwide now than other religions.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post