Sam Harris is a Buddhist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
09-06-2015, 09:42 AM
RE: Sam Harris is a Buddhist
(09-06-2015 09:34 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 05:21 PM)enochian Wrote:  Sam Harris promotes Dzogchen in his book "Waking Up" and podcasts.

Dzogchen is a Tibetan Buddhist teaching.

Hey! Me Too! But, like myself, I doubt very much that Sam Harris thinks that Buddha was born out of his mother's side.

C-sections are done all the time even in the modern day.

Whats so unbelievable about Caesarean sections?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2015, 09:45 AM
(09-06-2015 09:08 AM)enochian Wrote:  I should have said "New Atheist."

Can one be a New Atheist and follow Dzogchen?

I will ignore the use of that term (because labels are useless) and just answer: Why not? From what I read, Dzogchen is pretty secular. Many atheists find meditation useful. I don't see what the problem is here.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
09-06-2015, 09:47 AM
(09-06-2015 09:22 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 09:20 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Why should I care what he follows? I've got a flashlight and two good legs ... I'll find my own way.

Can I borrow your flashlight?

Why not? I feel like I'm muddling in the dark most of the time anyway.
09-06-2015, 10:31 AM
(09-06-2015 09:42 AM)enochian Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 09:34 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  Hey! Me Too! But, like myself, I doubt very much that Sam Harris thinks that Buddha was born out of his mother's side.

That's all you've got to say?

Really? I expected more, since you seem to take issue with what Harris believes or doesn't.

Personally, I am not in opposition to Buddhism.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-06-2015, 10:54 AM
(09-06-2015 09:42 AM)enochian Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 09:34 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  Hey! Me Too! But, like myself, I doubt very much that Sam Harris thinks that Buddha was born out of his mother's side.

In the mythology that grew up around Buddha, his birth was not in context of a medical procedure, but in the context of a magical occurrence.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
[+] 1 user Likes 666wannabe's post
09-06-2015, 11:01 AM
(09-06-2015 09:08 AM)enochian Wrote:  I should have said "New Atheist."

Can one be a New Atheist and follow Dzogchen?

What does a "new" atheist do differently than an atheist? What does Dzogchen do that would make it inherently incompatible?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
09-06-2015, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2015 11:11 AM by enochian.)
There is a huge misunderstanding.

Buddhism is not about the teachings of one Buddha.

There are many Buddhas such as Tilopa, Naropa, Maitripa, Virupa etc.

These are all historical Indian figures.
09-06-2015, 11:21 AM
(09-06-2015 11:02 AM)enochian Wrote:  There is a huge misunderstanding.

Buddhism is not about the teachings of one Buddha.

There are many Buddhas such as Tilopa, Naropa, Maitripa, Virupa etc.

These are all historical Indian figures.

There are many forms of Buddhism. I think you have as much a misunderstanding as you want others to believe. That literally alters nothing from what other peoples responses or thoughts are. There are forms of Buddhism that aren't considered a religion and types that wouldn't be considered one by people's use of the term.

The ideas of "new" atheism which are a created outside annointed label. As in something I've not ever seen anyone, let alone a person like Harris/Dawkins, define themselves as. It's just a category for labeling social movements as they alter over time.

You created a thread 3 years ago on this forum on basically the same topic. Yet you rarely are here but decided to come back to mention this. You don't really expound anything but very short quips and don't actually expound on or defend why you even have your positions. I don't see much of a thought or purpose for caring about this in any manner. I wouldn't care if someone did but I've never seen someone give a damn to label themselves a "new atheist"

Sam Harris does often believe in various things people don't believe in. Some people also disagree with him upon free will. Does that of any relevance to being an atheist? I don't see how. You ask it as a question but you've got a thought on it enough to care about the idea over years of time. So why would it matter?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
09-06-2015, 11:23 AM
(08-06-2015 05:21 PM)enochian Wrote:  Sam Harris promotes Dzogchen in his book "Waking Up" and podcasts.

Dzogchen is a Tibetan Buddhist teaching.

And he is dead wrong about Buddhism, it is still simply another religion, it holds no patents on human discovery. I agree with him on just about everything else, but he is still just as full of shit on this as any believer who claims science props up their religions.

The fact remains even he cannot defend Buddhism. It is no more a science than any other religion is a science. It was created in the same age of human ignorance as all other religions of antiquity. When he makes claims about rituals and meditation being beneficial, it is still really no different than say training a Navy Seal to clear their minds and endure.

He choses like others to cherry pick history. The first depictions of "Buddha" which is a title, not a name, like "Pope" is a title, had the the first Buddha born of royalty,in Queen Maya, with the purity motif of the first Buddha being conceived without conventional penis/vaginal sex, via way of a magical elephant entering her side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_%28mot..._Buddha%29

In antiquity when religions were created it was a common tactic for those starting a new one to attach ideas of divinity(which didn't have to be a literal god, but could merely mean "magical something") and attached their fortunes to their prosperity to the divine.

Is much as I love Harris on other topics, I do not give any credit at all to his claims about Buddhism. There was no religion 200,000 years ago, and cockroaches evolved fine without praying to a fat statue, or Allah or Jesus or Vishnu. Religion is not, nor ever was required for evolution to occur. Sam may be an atheist, but in defending Buddhism, he simply got stuck on pretty, just like others with religion do in defending their religions.

I am no fan of his Buddhism fetish.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
09-06-2015, 11:25 AM
ClydeLee,

My last topic had nothing to do with Sam Harris or Dzogchen.