Samaritan's Purse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Samaritan's Purse
Help the poor persecuted christians

So Samaritan's Purse wants people to send them money so they can help support the poor Christian couple being "persecuted" for their refusal to bake a cake for a lesbian couple. Does anyone else see the irony in the name of the "charitable" organization and the behavior they are supporting?

But rabbi, who is my neighbor?

Furthermore, shouldn't these asshats be happy they are being "persecuted"? Doesn't that mean they will get more bling when they get to heaven?

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2015, 10:37 AM
RE: Samaritan's Purse
They're not being persecuted for their beliefs, they're being treated like assholes for acting like assholes. There's a difference.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
30-04-2015, 10:52 AM
While I don't condone discrimination, what pisses me off is that they refused a customer and got in trouble for it. It is a free market and I think that a business has the right to refuse service for whatever reason (can I sue if I have no shirt or shoes too?). If you are a company who refuses paying customers, you won't be around too long. The couple just should have taken their money elsewhere, I am sure that there were other places who would have taken their money. Using a company's services isn't right. My problem lies with the fact that they were able to sue and were awarded compensation. That is outrageous. In Indiana where I live, a law just passed that protects establishments like this from being sued for refusing service for religious reasons. The problem as I see it isn't the law, but the fact that a business owner can be sued for not wanting to serve in the first place. It's a free market, the best way to damage someone is to give your money to their competitor. I actually feel bad for these people on some level.

Two things I thought were funny in the article though:
Quote: When our judges are punishing Christians for practicing what they believe, that’s persecution, plain and simple.

So what do you call it when christians do it to everyone else?

Quote:If you want to help Christians who are dealing with blatant discrimination, you make a donation to our “Persecuted Christians—USA” fund below.

So you blatantly discriminated against a gay couple and you want a handout?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
30-04-2015, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2015 11:40 AM by TurkeyBurner.)
I agree with the right of a private business to refuse service to anyone they want. I also believe that a business with those practices will likely not be around too long.

The thing that jumped out at me is that this charity is named after a story in the bible where a Samaritan helped/served someone who was considered unclean and unworthy of help. The charity, on the other hand, is supporting a couple who essentially did exactly the opposite of what the story from the bible taught that Christians should do.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
30-04-2015, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2015 11:43 AM by Chas.)
(30-04-2015 11:10 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I agree with the right of a private business to refuse service to anyone they want. I also believe that a business with those practices will likely not be around too long.

The thing that jumped out at me is that this charity is named after a story in the bible where a Samaritan helped/served someone who was considered unclean and unworthy of help. The charity, on the other hand, is supporting a couple who are essentially did exactly the opposite of what the story from the bible taught that Christians should do.

Actually, it was the Samaritan who was the despised party.
The point of the parable is to love thy neighbor - and that everyone is your neighbor.

"33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’
36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”
Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”"

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2015, 11:52 AM
I guess the meaning of the parable depends on the perspective from which this story was taught to you. Either way, the others passed by the injured man because he was considered unclean. LGBT are like the modern-day equivalent of unclean people for modern Christians. My point is that a charity named after the Samaritan from this story should be helping the person shunned for being unclean and not the ones acting like the priest and the Levite (I.e., the Christian couple).

30-04-2015, 02:51 PM
(30-04-2015 11:10 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  The charity, on the other hand, is supporting a couple who essentially did exactly the opposite of what the story from the bible taught that Christians should do.

I wonder if the "charity" will take 10% as a tithe?

Also,
Quote: Matthew 6:24
No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

So are they really going against the teachings of the bible?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
30-04-2015, 03:07 PM
"good christians" came to this country to practice their faith -- which was burning witches.....

Not so fun when the shoe's on the other foot, eh???

Fuck em...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-04-2015, 03:32 PM
(30-04-2015 11:52 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I guess the meaning of the parable depends on the perspective from which this story was taught to you. Either way, the others passed by the injured man because he was considered unclean. LGBT are like the modern-day equivalent of unclean people for modern Christians. My point is that a charity named after the Samaritan from this story should be helping the person shunned for being unclean and not the ones acting like the priest and the Levite (I.e., the Christian couple).

No, it depends on the text as it's written. Go read it.
The victim was not unclean, it is clear that he was of the same tribe as the two that passed him by.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2015, 03:41 PM
(30-04-2015 03:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-04-2015 11:52 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I guess the meaning of the parable depends on the perspective from which this story was taught to you. Either way, the others passed by the injured man because he was considered unclean. LGBT are like the modern-day equivalent of unclean people for modern Christians. My point is that a charity named after the Samaritan from this story should be helping the person shunned for being unclean and not the ones acting like the priest and the Levite (I.e., the Christian couple).

No, it depends on the text as it's written. Go read it.
The victim was not unclean, it is clear that he was of the same tribe as the two that passed him by.

I've read it, Chas, many times. The parable doesn't contain a lot of detail. However, that the injured man is of the same tribe makes sense in the context of the story. However, it isn't clear why the priest and Levite passed him by. This missing detail has led to speculation by many religious commentators. One of the more common theories that I have heard from various preachers was the one that said they passed the man by because he was bleeding and touching him would have rendered them unclean. They would then be required to go through the expense and effort of ritual cleansing in order to enter the temple or whatever.

There are other theories. But either way, I think it is tangential to the purpose of my original post.

All that said, I have to say I have a great deal of respect for you, Chas. I really enjoy your posts, whether they are sharing knowledge and wisdom or simply making me laugh. Cheers!