Samaritan's Purse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2015, 03:58 PM
RE: Samaritan's Purse
(01-05-2015 03:41 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(30-04-2015 03:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, it depends on the text as it's written. Go read it.
The victim was not unclean, it is clear that he was of the same tribe as the two that passed him by.

I've read it, Chas, many times. The parable doesn't contain a lot of detail. However, that the injured man is of the same tribe makes sense in the context of the story. However, it isn't clear why the priest and Levite passed him by. This missing detail has led to speculation by many religious commentators. One of the more common theories that I have heard from various preachers was the one that said they passed the man by because he was bleeding and touching him would have rendered them unclean. They would then be required to go through the expense and effort of ritual cleansing in order to enter the temple or whatever.

There are other theories. But either way, I think it is tangential to the purpose of my original post.

All that said, I have to say I have a great deal of respect for you, Chas. I really enjoy your posts, whether they are sharing knowledge and wisdom or simply making me laugh. Cheers!

Thanks for the kind words.

You referred to the parable being taught from different perspectives. That is one of the best arguments for people reading the text themselves instead of blindly trusting the teacher/preacher.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-05-2015, 04:36 PM
(30-04-2015 09:58 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Help the poor persecuted christians

So Samaritan's Purse wants people to send them money so they can help support the poor Christian couple being "persecuted" for their refusal to bake a cake for a lesbian couple. Does anyone else see the irony in the name of the "charitable" organization and the behavior they are supporting?

But rabbi, who is my neighbor?

Furthermore, shouldn't these asshats be happy they are being "persecuted"? Doesn't that mean they will get more bling when they get to heaven?

This goddamned, son of a bitchin' bakery was about a mile from where I live here in Gresham, Oregon. About a year and a half ago my husband and I and about 100 other people went and protested outside their stupid bakery holding picket signs . After the protest many of us walked down the street to ANOTHER bakery that DIDN'T discriminate against gay people and bought all their cupcakes, cookies and anything else they sold and yumm, was it good stuff.

To hell with this bakery. Those people are sanctimonious fuck faces and I'm glad they were shut down. I hope I helped in any little way I could. If I buy cupcakes I buy them from the other bakery. Fuck em'!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
01-05-2015, 05:03 PM
(30-04-2015 09:58 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Help the poor persecuted christians

So Samaritan's Purse wants people to send them money so they can help support the poor Christian couple being "persecuted" for their refusal to bake a cake for a lesbian couple. Does anyone else see the irony in the name of the "charitable" organization and the behavior they are supporting?

But rabbi, who is my neighbor?

Furthermore, shouldn't these asshats be happy they are being "persecuted"? Doesn't that mean they will get more bling when they get to heaven?

... I'm just going to put it out there that "Samaritan's Purse" is a stupid name for an anything.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-05-2015, 06:38 PM
(30-04-2015 02:51 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I wonder if the "charity" will take 10% as a tithe?

Actually, it is more like 13%... However, as charities go, they are rated fairly high.
Charity Navigator Rating

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart