Same mental processes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Same mental processes?
I find that religion, conspiracy theories, paranormal believers and other such phenomonen or percived phenomonen such as the Bermuda Triangle, sasquach, yeti, chupacabra, the Loch Ness monster, ghosts, lepricauns, fairies etc. all seem to be results of similar mental processes, or the same mental process with slightly different manifestations. All of the above have their die hard believers, their casual believers and people on the fence. All of the above lack credible evidence or have no evidencee at all. Some, like chupacabra and the Bermuda Triangle (which are new enough to have a documented history from their birth) have been proven to be man-made fables. All of the above have believers going around trying to convince others that they are right about their beliefs and all have people who totally ignore any evidence, facts or arguements that contrdict their beliefs.

Where is sanity?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2010, 05:53 PM
RE: Same mental processes?
The human mind has a tendency to believe that connections exist rather than not. It's just how our mind is wired(as opposed to many animals, who have the opposite problem). The ability to link causes and effects is what allowed us to above other animals, but without reason to assess where connections do and don't exist, we get the above. A lot of people who lack the will(I like to think they have the intelligence) to be skeptical tend to believe some far out things.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
05-09-2010, 06:38 PM
I think that some people like to believe in that type of thing because it is "fun". It's fun to let your imagination run wild and believe things that are the stuff of fantasy. Who wouldn't like to really see a unicorn? a fairy? or find out what REALLY happened in the Bermuda Triangle? I used to be fascinated with "magical" places and things like that when I was a kid, not because I REALLY thought they existed, but because it was fun to think about it.
05-09-2010, 07:26 PM
I'd never heard of the "chupacabra" before this thread before and had to Google it (which means my fingerprints have been recorded and a clone of me will be soon forthcoming. Yabba. Dabba. Do).

I'm born and raised in New Jersey and we had our own legend, the Jersey Devil. I never met anyone who actually believe in it, though, but I suspect that at one point when people still believed in witchcraft that people believed in it.

This reminds me that my all time favorite holiday, Halloween, will soon be upon us. I love fall.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
05-09-2010, 09:17 PM
I completely agree that it's on the same mental process! Just the other day I was casually talking with a friend that 100% believes in "Ancient Astronauts" and TONS of cryptozoological beasts and it came up that I don't believe in them. I made it perfectly clear literally five different times that it didn't bother me if he believed in it--it was none of my business, but he was hyper-persistent relentless in "proof". I calmly listened and did some quick Google searches and posted refutations of the "evidence", which seemed to make him only more persistent, showing me all manners of blurry photos and videos.

When I saw he wasn't giving up and wasn't thinking of allowing differences to be differences, I said the argument wasn't really beneficial to either side and suggested it stop. He then hit with with an argument I had only ever heard from Christian until that point, the argument being "You really believe in this stuff, but you don't want to so you pretend like it's fake."

That is the argument that fires me up the most. Over all else. =P

There's definitely a link there. Irrational beliefs are irrational by nature and title and unwilling to stand up to research-based scrutiny.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2010, 06:13 AM
There might be a slight difference between religion and conspiracy and supernatural stuff. Usually the conspiracy nuts present some ''evidence'' of the conspiracy and so do the supernatural believers. The conspiracy theorists might have some evidence of a conspiracy, but they leave all other evidence without attention. The paranormal believers have ''evidence'', but theres no evidence that their ''evidence'' is really evidence. The religulous just believe, even though some claim to have some ''evidence'' supporting their god/goddess. Is that evident?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
06-09-2010, 07:31 AM
(06-09-2010 06:13 AM)Kikko Wrote:  There might be a slight difference between religion and conspiracy and supernatural stuff. Usually the conspiracy nuts present some ''evidence'' of the conspiracy and so do the supernatural believers. The conspiracy theorists might have some evidence of a conspiracy, but they leave all other evidence without attention. The paranormal believers have ''evidence'', but theres no evidence that their ''evidence'' is really evidence. The religulous just believe, even though some claim to have some ''evidence'' supporting their god/goddess. Is that evident?

Evidently, you've seriously considered the evidence. This is made evident by your thorough analysis of the evident evidence.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
06-09-2010, 07:45 AM
(06-09-2010 06:13 AM)Kikko Wrote:  There might be a slight difference between religion and conspiracy and supernatural stuff. Usually the conspiracy nuts present some ''evidence'' of the conspiracy and so do the supernatural believers. The conspiracy theorists might have some evidence of a conspiracy, but they leave all other evidence without attention. The paranormal believers have ''evidence'', but theres no evidence that their ''evidence'' is really evidence. The religulous just believe, even though some claim to have some ''evidence'' supporting their god/goddess. Is that evident?

Perfectly evident.

I think we shouldn't neglect the general acceptance of these things. CTs like to find new new inside jobs. Because they tend to find new crackpot theories, the feel the need to provide evidence as well, since it's not widely accepted. Of course they'll almost always wrong, so have to neglect all other evidence.

Paranormal activity is still widely believed to be false(though not where I'm from), even though it still have plenty of follows. This gives the idea an advantage about conspiracies. Not only is there blurry video tape evidence, but there's also a whole host of people that believe. They get that mentally that if all these other people believe it, it must be true.

And then there is religion. This is the one that employs real brainwashing of children(although the other two do to an extent). And then there's the threat that god is gonna get you. But anyway. religion is by far the largest of the three groups, and very few people look for evidence to prove their beliefs, but rather just confirm. Vocal atheists are a relatively new thing. We are still the odd man out. While it's a logical fallacy, most people put the burden of proof on us, since we are going against the majority.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
06-09-2010, 04:19 PM
(06-09-2010 07:45 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Vocal atheists are a relatively new thing. We are still the odd man out. While it's a logical fallacy, most people put the burden of proof on us, since we are going against the majority.

I dont know if vocal aheists really are a new thing, but if they are, it is because secular laws have spoilt their party and made their killing sprees illegal.
http://www.truthbeknown.com/victims.htm
If Barley McFlexo is around, he could learn a lot from
http://godisimaginary.com/index.htm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  religion VS mental illness Adventuremrkt 4 594 13-04-2013 10:17 AM
Last Post: Chas
  Mental Gymnastics Zach 3 522 01-07-2011 04:40 PM
Last Post: Zach