Same old question!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2015, 05:48 AM
Same old question!
One of by biggest peeves with theists is when they respond by saying "these are the same old questions atheists have been asking for years"

You know, there's a reason people keep asking those questions.. That reason is that no one has been able to answer them or provide any evidence.

People still ask Who was Jack the Ripper? That's an old question, and do you know why people still ask it? Because no one has put forth a solid answer. They day they provide solid identity for Jack is the day people stop asking the questions.

Thesists see the age of a question as a weakness.. While overlooking the fact that these questions only persist because no one can answer them to a stasfactory standard or provide evidence.

The age of an unanswered question is quite damning to someone of faith, and they need to realise it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like TheStraightener's post
26-02-2015, 06:05 AM
RE: Same old question!
And yet it's OK for them to keep asking the same old question?

Dodgy

Theodicy (/θiːˈɒdɪsi/), in its most common form, is the attempt to answer the question of why a good God permits the manifestation of evil.

Good luck with that one.

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
26-02-2015, 07:05 AM
(26-02-2015 05:48 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  One of by biggest peeves with theists is when they respond by saying "these are the same old questions atheists have been asking for years"

Yeah, that's the same old dismissive response theists have been using for years.

Note how they've never been able to give a compelling answer to any of the following questions:
  • Where is your god? Oh, he's invisible and out side of space and time? So are leprechauns, because I say so.
  • What is your god? A super powerful entity that we can't possibly hope to comprehend? Sounds like Cthulhu.
  • Why should I care about your god? I have an invisible soul and it will go to a good place or bad place that I cannot see after I die? Sounds like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that always seems to move when I chase it.
You have to presuppose so many things to "answer" these questions. We keep asking the same old questions because they haven't stopped feeding us the same old shit in response.
[+] 7 users Like RobbyPants's post
27-02-2015, 11:16 AM
(26-02-2015 07:05 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(26-02-2015 05:48 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  One of by biggest peeves with theists is when they respond by saying "these are the same old questions atheists have been asking for years"

Yeah, that's the same old dismissive response theists have been using for years.

Note how they've never been able to give a compelling answer to any of the following questions:
  • Where is your god? Oh, he's invisible and out side of space and time? So are leprechauns, because I say so.
  • What is your god? A super powerful entity that we can't possibly hope to comprehend? Sounds like Cthulhu.
  • Why should I care about your god? I have an invisible soul and it will go to a good place or bad place that I cannot see after I die? Sounds like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that always seems to move when I chase it.
You have to presuppose so many things to "answer" these questions. We keep asking the same old questions because they haven't stopped feeding us the same old shit in response.

1. My God is invisible because of human sin and the free will thing. My God is readily visible in the scriptures and person of Jesus. Corrected to why is God sometimes invisible.

2. You can certainly comprehend God. I can comprehend a being of great knowledge and love even if I pale in those areas. Also, it's not like the Bible contains one sentence about God only.

3. You should care about my God because that affects this world as much as the next.

I'll only say you say the "same old" questions if you henceforth repeat these.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2015, 11:18 AM

You know, there's a reason people keep asking those questions.. That reason is that no one has been able to answer them or provide any evidence.

People still ask Who was Jack the Ripper? That's an old question, and do you know why people still ask it? Because no one has put forth a solid answer. They day they provide solid identity for Jack is the day people stop asking the questions.

Thesists see the age of a question as a weakness.. While overlooking the fact that these questions only persist because no one can answer them to a stasfactory standard or provide evidence.

The age of an unanswered question is quite damning to someone of faith, and they need to realise it.

I see the age of questions as the only hope for mankind. Jesus completely used the Socratic method of instruction, as would any good Jewish rabbi. That's why it's doubly weird when Jewish apologists say Jesus's thoughts weren't in line with Judaism or Jewish mindsets.

And just because you meet some unthinking Christians, well there are smart Christians and stupid ones, smart atheists and stupid ones. And...?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
27-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Another thought if I may?

Hundreds of times, I've seen movie teasers and trailers that intrigued me. I then watched those movies. Hundreds of times, I've encountered Bible questions that intrigued me and then researched them. So yeah, it does get a bit old when atheists are always like "Why is God so mean" since they're talking about my own Father and Friend, as if they know Him better than I do! That's cray-cray.

27-02-2015, 06:08 PM
(27-02-2015 11:43 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Another thought if I may?

Hundreds of times, I've seen movie teasers and trailers that intrigued me. I then watched those movies. Hundreds of times, I've encountered Bible questions that intrigued me and then researched them. So yeah, it does get a bit old when atheists are always like "Why is God so mean" since they're talking about my own Father and Friend, as if they know Him better than I do! That's cray-cray.

So you class god as a friend and You say you know him...can you answer any of the following?

What sport does he like? What's his favourite team? What does his voice sound like? What accent does he have?

I can answer all those questions about my father and friends... Can you answer just one?
[+] 5 users Like TheStraightener's post
27-02-2015, 06:57 PM
(27-02-2015 06:08 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  So you class god as a friend and You say you know him...can you answer any of the following?

What sport does he like? What's his favourite team? What does his voice sound like? What accent does he have?

I can answer all those questions about my father and friends... Can you answer just one?

I have a feeling his voice sounds suspiciously like Q's.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 5 users Like CleverUsername's post
27-02-2015, 07:20 PM
What I want to know, if god is capable of anything, then why can't he think up a way to reveal himself without compromising "free will" or making people freak out, or do away the concept of evil and sin without, again, compromising "free will". Unless he's not willing to, and thus is malevolent. Or he can't, and thus is not omnipotent.

Or even better, he just doesn't exist.
[+] 2 users Like SajaaK's post
27-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Quote:My God is invisible because of human sin and the free will thing.

Please elaborate on this, I really want to see you pull all this together.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post