Sandy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Sandy
Hi all

Have not been here in a while and have not had time to check the whole board so apologize if there is another thread on this topic. Just wanted to say I hope everyone who was in the path of the storm is ok and coping. Is there anyone who posts regularly who has not been heard from in a while? If so, hopefully they are ok and just don't have power.

I am from NJ and am now living across the river in south eastern PA but I have a lot of friends and family who were smack in the heart of this sucker. I was hit too. My family and I lost power last Monday at 6 PM. We got it back around 8 PM on Friday. I am completely reliant on electricity for heat (to power my oil burner), water (I have a well and a well pump), cooking (electric oven, stove top, etc.) and, obviously refrigeration. So, as you can imagine, it was a miserable four days without any of those things being available. But, it could have been much, much worse and that's what my wife and I kept telling our kids. We told them they were inconvenienced and nothing more. No one was hurt, nothing was damaged, and the worst that happened to us was we had to throw out all our food (and my wife, who is self employed, lost 4 days of pay). There was nothing that we could not recover from (except maybe the indignity of not being able to flush our toilets! We had to drain water from a neighbor's pool for that -- what a freaking pain). We even have a fire place and were able to warm ourselves by that when it got cold. When we went to sleep, we piled on the blankets (it was 53F in the house when we woke up Friday morning -- that's cold!).

Anyway, hope everyone in the path of the storm is safe and sound. My wife and I are working with some friends to buy some necessary supplies an drive them out to the shore towns this weekend. Food, diapers, blankets, etc. Maybe even some gasoline since NJ has had some massive gas shortages since this happened. Power is starting to come back on, though. My sister in north NJ got hers back last night and my parents in central NJ got theirs back tonight (which is great since we invited them all to stay with us once our power came back on Friday night -- we get our house back now). So, hopefully most of the state is all powered back up by tomorrow. That won't help the people who lost their homes, though.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2012, 09:13 PM
RE: Sandy
(05-11-2012 08:30 PM)BnW Wrote:  Hi all

Have not been here in a while and have not had time to check the whole board so apologize if there is another thread on this topic. Just wanted to say I hope everyone who was in the path of the storm is ok and coping. Is there anyone who posts regularly who has not been heard from in a while? If so, hopefully they are ok and just don't have power.

I am from NJ and am now living across the river in south eastern PA but I have a lot of friends and family who were smack in the heart of this sucker. I was hit too. My family and I lost power last Monday at 6 PM. We got it back around 8 PM on Friday. I am completely reliant on electricity for heat (to power my oil burner), water (I have a well and a well pump), cooking (electric oven, stove top, etc.) and, obviously refrigeration. So, as you can imagine, it was a miserable four days without any of those things being available. But, it could have been much, much worse and that's what my wife and I kept telling our kids. We told them they were inconvenienced and nothing more. No one was hurt, nothing was damaged, and the worst that happened to us was we had to throw out all our food (and my wife, who is self employed, lost 4 days of pay). There was nothing that we could not recover from (except maybe the indignity of not being able to flush our toilets! We had to drain water from a neighbor's pool for that -- what a freaking pain). We even have a fire place and were able to warm ourselves by that when it got cold. When we went to sleep, we piled on the blankets (it was 53F in the house when we woke up Friday morning -- that's cold!).

Anyway, hope everyone in the path of the storm is safe and sound. My wife and I are working with some friends to buy some necessary supplies an drive them out to the shore towns this weekend. Food, diapers, blankets, etc. Maybe even some gasoline since NJ has had some massive gas shortages since this happened. Power is starting to come back on, though. My sister in north NJ got hers back last night and my parents in central NJ got theirs back tonight (which is great since we invited them all to stay with us once our power came back on Friday night -- we get our house back now). So, hopefully most of the state is all powered back up by tomorrow. That won't help the people who lost their homes, though.

Glad you and your family are safe and sound. Four days without power is a trial, but it sounds like you got through it without too much pain. Makes you realize the extent to which we rely on those moving electrons for our daily routine.

Sounds like the weekend activities will earn you some good karma.

Now go take a hot shower and flush those toilets! Tongue

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
05-11-2012, 09:49 PM
RE: Sandy
Hey BnW, it's been a while since we've seen you. Now I know why.
Glad you and yours turned out to be okay. Thanks for letting us know what you've been up to. Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel