Santa Claus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Santa Claus
A few years ago I was asked to play Santa Claus at a kid's Christmas party. I was not paid for the gig. The party was held by a charitable group for inner city kids. I arrived early, put on the suit and made my entrance. "Ho. Ho. Ho."

The kids sat on my lap and told me what they wanted for Christmas. Most of it was the usual stuff: various toys and such.

One little girl wanted "a job for my Daddy."

A boy wanted "a new car so my mommy won't have to walk to work. Or get the old one fixed."

"I want the same as last year. You got lost last year so here's our address and a map so you can find our house."

This kind of thing over and over and over and over.

I'm having a hard time writing this. The memory is painful. I've broken down in tears three times since I started.

It was difficult to get through. I wanted to yank the damned fake beard and wig off and scream "I AM NOT SANTA CLAUS. I'M AN ACTOR. I'M NOT ONE OF SANTA'S HELPERS AND NEITHER ARE THE OTHER SANTA CLAUS'S IN THE STORES. WE'RE ALL ACTORS. THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS. IT'S ALL A LIE. A LOT OF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET WHAT YOU WANT FOR CHRISTMAS. AND IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT. I KNOW YOU'VE BEEN GOOD. NOBODY IS GETTING A LUMP OF COAL FOR CHRISTMAS. BUT THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS. I'M SORRY YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO GROW UP BEFORE THE RICH KIDS DO."

Of course I did not do that. No guts I guess.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like f stop's post
04-12-2014, 03:57 AM
RE: Santa Claus
That must have been so hard Hug

I myself felt a lump in my throat reading those kids' wishes. It's really sad how people raise children thinking that somehow, someday, someone will come and save them.

The idea of Santa Claus may sound harmless, but not for poor families.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
04-12-2014, 07:02 AM
(03-12-2014 10:20 PM)f stop Wrote:  A few years ago I was asked to play Santa Claus at a kid's Christmas party. I was not paid for the gig. The party was held by a charitable group for inner city kids. I arrived early, put on the suit and made my entrance. "Ho. Ho. Ho."

The kids sat on my lap and told me what they wanted for Christmas. Most of it was the usual stuff: various toys and such.

A boy wanted "a new car so my mommy won't have to walk to work. Or get the old one fixed."

"I want the same as last year. You got lost last year so here's our address and a map so you can find our house."

I'm having a hard time writing this. The memory is painful. I've broken down in tears three times since I started.

It was difficult to get through. I wanted to yank the damned fake beard and wig off and scream "I AM NOT SANTA CLAUS. I'M AN ACTOR. I'M NOT ONE OF SANTA'S HELPERS AND NEITHER ARE THE OTHER SANTA CLAUS'S IN THE STORES. WE'RE ALL ACTORS. THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS. IT'S ALL A LIE. A LOT OF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET WHAT YOU WANT FOR CHRISTMAS. AND IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT. I KNOW YOU'VE BEEN GOOD. NOBODY IS GETTING A LUMP OF COAL FOR CHRISTMAS. BUT THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS. I'M SORRY YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO GROW UP BEFORE THE RICH KIDS DO."

That's not a lack of guts - that's having empathy, sympathy, kindness.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Chas's post
04-12-2014, 08:30 AM
What Chas said. ^^

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
04-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Oh those sweet kids :'( it'd break my heart to hear those wishes.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
04-12-2014, 10:36 AM
(03-12-2014 10:20 PM)f stop Wrote:  ----
THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS. I'M SORRY YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO GROW UP BEFORE THE RICH KIDS DO.
----

Well, if that don't hit the nail on the head.
If one were to always take responsibility for all the ill one sees, little else would get done. You see & acknowledge what many choose to deny; others might simply ignore the helpless situation with the cover statement, "god will provide".

There, there dear atheist.
Your momentary kindness to a child is enough.
Hug

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-12-2014, 03:27 PM
f stop, I don't know how you got through that. That's heart wrenching! Gasp

It makes me wonder what their parents go through too. First, they know they won't be able to buy gifts for the kids (or, if they can, it will be nothing like what the kids really want). Then, when the kids want to talk to Santa, the parents have to figure they aren't going to get what they ask for. So why let the kids ask and then not receive? Yet, how does one tell their kids they can't talk to Santa? It must be very difficult all around. Sad

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
14-12-2016, 02:46 AM
I got a phone call yesterday afternoon asking me to play Santa again. I told her "no way."

Sapere aude
14-12-2016, 03:14 AM
(14-12-2016 02:46 AM)f stop Wrote:  I got a phone call yesterday afternoon asking me to play Santa again. I told her "no way."

Yow. I'd do the same. Was I them, I'd drop the Santa part of the Christmas party. Or just let him give each kid a toy of some kind for a gift and fuck the telling Santa what you want.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-12-2016, 04:42 AM
(03-12-2014 10:20 PM)f stop Wrote:  A few years ago I was asked to play Santa Claus at a kid's Christmas party. I was not paid for the gig. The party was held by a charitable group for inner city kids. I arrived early, put on the suit and made my entrance. "Ho. Ho. Ho."

[Image: guardians-of-the-galaxy-29-gif-stroke-me...gif?w=1200]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post