Santa, more the real reason for the season!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Santa, more the real reason for the season!
A friend posted this in their Facebook status..
"Why is it news that Justin Beiber never believed in Santa? I never did, my kids never have."

Now, as one who loves reason and is a non-believer, I still tell my son about Santa. I think it's fun, it's harmless, and It didn't hurt me in the long run. Belief in Santa has done less harm to my psyche than my years in Catholic CCD.

I am a bit put off that their kids don't believe in Santa, but believe in the mythical sky god. According to legend, Santa is much more benevolent than the Abrahamic god.

Besides, Santa is more of the reason for the season than Jesus. Santa, Christmas Trees, presents, cookies, and wassail have more of a root in the celebration of the winter solstice and lengthening of days.

Thoughts?

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post
19-12-2011, 09:10 AM
RE: Santa, more the real reason for the season!
Hey... what... what are you... are you implying that... Santa isn't.... OMG.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
19-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Saint Nicholas was a real person, after all. I see no harm in believing. When I was little, I was thrilled at the thought of some fat lump wallowing his way into my house and leaving boxes of children-spoiling-devices under my Christmas tree.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Ferdinand's post
19-12-2011, 09:13 AM

SANTA. O_O
Horrible memories.
Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2011, 09:33 AM
(19-12-2011 09:13 AM)insidemyownmind Wrote:  SANTA. O_O
Horrible memories.

Uh oh, sounds like someone needs to watch Elf. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-12-2011, 09:38 AM
I don't have kids yet, but when I will, I don't like the idea of filling their head with crap only to have to explain a few years later that "mommy and I only deceived you because we thought Christmas would be more fun that way"

On the other hand, I absolutely loved Christmas, both before and after I found out about Santa's secret. Even now, when Christmas comes, I turn into a kid. I need colors and twinkling lights and tinsel and candles and songs and everything. It simply brings up too many happy memories not to enjoy it. I would never take something like that away from my child.

However, Santa can very well be a character like the ones in every fairy tale and cartoon. And nothing stops us from playing the Santa game every year: he just happened to leave us lots of gifts when we weren't looking, or I will even dress like Santa every once in a while for the heck of it. And my children will have fun and Christmas will be a time when we are all free from work and we get to enjoy each other's company and we can be very happy just like I was in my Christmas memories.

How would a make-believe Santa improve this experience?

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
19-12-2011, 09:45 AM
I just can't fathom how joyless the season will be without a Santa or the magic of the season. To emphasize the religion probably makes for a cold Christmas.

19-12-2011, 09:45 AM
(19-12-2011 09:38 AM)Malleus Wrote:  I don't have kids yet, but when I will, I don't like the idea of filling their head with crap only to have to explain a few years later that "mommy and I only deceived you because we thought Christmas would be more fun that way"

On the other hand, I absolutely loved Christmas, both before and after I found out about Santa's secret. Even now, when Christmas comes, I turn into a kid. I need colors and twinkling lights and tinsel and candles and songs and everything. It simply brings up too many happy memories not to enjoy it. I would never take something like that away from my child.

However, Santa can very well be a character like the ones in every fairy tale and cartoon. And nothing stops us from playing the Santa game every year: he just happened to leave us lots of gifts when we weren't looking, or I will even dress like Santa every once in a while for the heck of it. And my children will have fun and Christmas will be a time when we are all free from work and we get to enjoy each other's company and we can be very happy just like I was in my Christmas memories.

How would a make-believe Santa improve this experience?

I like this kind of tactic. It's similar to the way my parents did things. I remember being about 5, maybe 6, when they made it clear they were the ones playing Santa and it was a fun game. Maybe up until 9 or 10(?) I would still leave cookies out for Santa, knowing that my parents would eat them. Hm...looking back, I can see why they would have liked encouraging that tradition. Smile

On the other hand, my brother's family let their two boys figure it out on their own. One started suspecting at 9, and the other one the next year at age 10 (They're both 12--one is adopted). I can't see any permanent damage done, though I haven't asked them about it.

Funny, that as a Christian I had difficulty with the idea of encouraging a belief in Santa because how would a child differentiate between a make-believe Santa and a make-believe Deity. Turns out it just took me a lot longer to figure out they are both make-believe. But I'd still like to believe in Santa if anyone out there can offer evidence. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-12-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm just worried one of these fundies will tell my kid there is no Santa. I'm sure it's happened. I would just turn to the kids, and tell them there is no Jesus and God. See how that goes over.

[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post
19-12-2011, 10:21 AM
You may have misunderstood me. When I say we played the Santa game, we *really* played it. We really pretended it's true.

Just to get my point across, I have to tell you that I made my mother dress up like Santa when I was 16 - and I was the youngest in my family until my niece was born 2 years ago, on Christmas day.

My sister and I sat on her lap and sang songs and recited poems and tried to convince "Santa" that we were good "kids". Fuck, we nearly split our ribs. Trust me, none of the magic was gone after we all knew what's really going on.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post