Sarah's Survey

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2018, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2018 07:17 AM by DLJ.)
Sarah's Survey
Hello my name is Sarah and i am a third year student. I'm doing a study about the religious/ spiritual view of free will and the links to personality. Its just an online questionnaire, you can do it in more than one setting. I would be very grateful if you could take part:https://portsmouthpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bO50RO1aReSjxjL SmileSmileSmileSmile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2018, 08:07 AM
RE: Sarah's Survey
I was perplexed by the question about feeling forgiveness through my religion when I do something wrong. I felt that there should have been questions about processes through which one merits forgiveness. This is primary difference among religions. For example, a person of one faith might just pray to be forgiven. A person of another faith will have to work through a process that entails admitting that they did wrong, doing what they can to fix the damage done by their wrong, apologizing sincerely to those whom they wronged, and resolving to do the wrong no more.

There was only one generic question about forgiveness, and the approach to forgiveness is a pivotal difference between religions.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
19-01-2018, 08:17 AM
Just an FYI to everyone...

A lot of questions use the term 'spiritual'. FSM knows what that means.

The first question includes atheism as a religion/religious view. SMH.

'Faith' is used liberally as both a stance (conclusion) and as an epistemology (methodology).

@Sarah,
There are a few typos that you might want to correct.

Wink

ps I renamed this "Sarah's Survey" when I split the post from the "An atheist's critique of the Bible" thread.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
19-01-2018, 08:34 AM
I took your survey.

This was shockingly poorly designed for a university-level project. There are literally dozens of typos and grammar mistakes. That may seem like it's a minor quibble, but it's the first intimation the research subject has of your attention to detail. Obvious carelessness is going to make it harder for you to get people to want to take your survey, so your data will suffer.

The writing throughout is unclear, and the wording of the religious questions reflects a Christian perspective only (making it impossible for people of other religions, as well as atheists, to give accurate answers). Also, a few questions about whether someone identifies as anxious or outgoing is not adequate to define a personality type. As personality type is a main focus of the survey, you need to rethink these questions. The questions about free will reflect a lack of understanding of the issues in play and were basically just repeating popular cliches.
[+] 7 users Like julep's post
19-01-2018, 08:50 AM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forums. Smile

(19-01-2018 07:05 AM)Sarahxo Wrote:  Hello my name is Sarah and I am a third year student. I'm doing a study about the religious/spiritual view of free will and the links to personality....

As an atheist, I don't have any religious and or spiritual opinions about free will. Too many of you questions are loaded—in assuming that (apparently) all people have some sort of spiritual/metaphysical/divine faith. For example; "ideas from faiths different from my own may increase my understanding of spiritual truth", "my faith gives me meaning and purpose", or "my faith is a way of life" etc.

I'm simply unable to select either agree OR disagree with those assertions.

I'm afraid an atheist forum is possibly the last place to post your survey and expect meaningful results with a lot of your questions that initially assume that atheism is a "religion" and one has "faith" to attest to that position.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
19-01-2018, 08:56 AM
I would fix the spelling and grammatical errors.

The first line alone has three glaring errors:

Welcome to this survey and thank you for wanting to take part. Below is information that you would need to know before you proceed.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: beb1339cfc76b95693fe0fd59c12ec05.jpg]
19-01-2018, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2018 09:49 AM by The Organic Chemist.)
(19-01-2018 07:05 AM)Sarahxo Wrote:  Hello my name is Sarah and i am a third year student. I'm doing a study about the religious/ spiritual view of free will and the links to personality. Its just an online questionnaire, you can do it in more than one setting. I would be very grateful if you could take part:https://portsmouthpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bO50RO1aReSjxjL SmileSmileSmileSmile

Took it and also sent you a follow up email about the survey. It could use some tweaking.

Edit. So the email that they listed at the end of the survey for feedback was bounced back. I bet the crisis number works though. I wonder if this is a troll.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
19-01-2018, 09:00 AM
(19-01-2018 08:34 AM)julep Wrote:  ...the wording of the religious questions reflects a Christian perspective only (making it impossible for people of other religions, as well as atheists, to give accurate answers).

Agreed...

Too many of the questions are similar to the loaded question; "Have you stopped beating your wife?" YES or NO.

Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
19-01-2018, 09:01 AM
You need to know your topic before you try making a survey. Just sayin'.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
19-01-2018, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2018 10:39 AM by Emma.)
(19-01-2018 08:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  @Sarah,
There are a few typos that you might want to correct.

I'm doubtful that Sarah will ever be coming back to read this. My guess would be that Sarah has visited a bunch of forums to post her survey and won't bother reading peoples' responses here. Undecided

I started to take the survey, but I also didn't like the questions and didn't get past the first page. I felt as though they were very loaded or potentially misleading. Some words are vague in definition. To say that "Your future is determined by your genes" could mean a lot of things. Many aspects of your future will be directly impacted by your genes. Others aspects will be influenced by external forces- other people, random events, etc.

Also- "fate" is poorly defined and loaded word. What do you mean by "fate"? Is fate intended to be a supernatural force? Or is it a series of possibilities with associated potential chances for each outcome?
[+] 4 users Like Emma's post