Sarah's Survey

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2018, 10:41 AM
RE: Sarah's Survey
Are you really in 3rd Grade ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-01-2018, 10:54 AM
(19-01-2018 10:28 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(19-01-2018 08:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  @Sarah,
There are a few typos that you might want to correct.

I'm doubtful that Sarah will ever be coming back to read this. My guess would be that Sarah has visited a bunch of forums to post her survey and won't bother reading peoples' responses here. Undecided

I started to take the survey, but I also didn't like the questions and didn't get past the first page. I felt as though they were very loaded or potentially misleading. Some words are vague in definition. To say that "Your future is determined by your genes" could mean a lot of things. Many aspects of your future will be directly impacted by your genes. Others aspects will be influenced by external forces- other people, random events, etc.

Also- "fate" is poorly defined and loaded word. What do you mean by "fate"? Is fate intended to be a supernatural force? Or is it a series of possibilities with associated potential chances for each outcome?

[bolding mine]

What better way to get answers you want than fiddling with questions?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post
19-01-2018, 01:23 PM
Sorry, much like I refuse to take part in unsolicited phone surveys, I don't click on links in unsolicited emails or unknown people's forum entries. This being the first I've ever heard from you, I will simply welcome you here.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
19-01-2018, 01:31 PM
(19-01-2018 10:54 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  What better way to get answers you want than fiddling with questions?

Brilliant show. Even if it was Thatcher's favourite. Not its fault, really Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
19-01-2018, 01:34 PM
I actually can't even get into the survey. The address runs into the smile faces. If there's a spot to "comment" I might consider it, after I read a few questions.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
19-01-2018, 02:07 PM
(19-01-2018 01:34 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I actually can't even get into the survey. The address runs into the smile faces. If there's a spot to "comment" I might consider it, after I read a few questions.

No comment field that I can recall.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
19-01-2018, 02:37 PM
(19-01-2018 08:56 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(19-01-2018 07:05 AM)Sarahxo Wrote:  Hello my name is Sarah and i am a third year student. I'm doing a study about the religious/ spiritual view of free will and the links to personality. Its just an online questionnaire, you can do it in more than one setting. I would be very grateful if you could take part:https://portsmouthpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bO50RO1aReSjxjL SmileSmileSmileSmile

Took it and also sent you a follow up email about the survey. It could use some tweaking.

Edit. So the email that they listed at the end of the survey for feedback was bounced back. I bet the crisis number works though. I wonder if this is a troll.

It's been my experience that these sorts of things are. It's almost a sort of push-polling.

Given that, I won't be taking it.
19-01-2018, 03:00 PM
Had a go, waste of time, canned my attempt. Also holy hell, there seemed like a lot of questions.

All kinda yeah... like they kept coming back to the same sort of topic. "Is your life predetermined" asked in a million slightly different and ambiguous ways. "Science has proven"... What the fuk? Science ain't like religion lady. Only Christians and other barmy bastards think that scientists go around saying stupid shit like "Science has proven X".

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
19-01-2018, 03:08 PM
(19-01-2018 02:07 PM)julep Wrote:  
(19-01-2018 01:34 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I actually can't even get into the survey. The address runs into the smile faces. If there's a spot to "comment" I might consider it, after I read a few questions.

No comment field that I can recall.

Nope. Just an email address that goes nowhere and there is no way in hell I'm calling the number.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
19-01-2018, 07:38 PM
(19-01-2018 07:05 AM)Sarahxo Wrote:  Hello my name is Sarah and i am a third year student. I'm doing a study about the religious/ spiritual view of free will and the links to personality. Its just an online questionnaire, you can do it in more than one setting. I would be very grateful if you could take part:https://portsmouthpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bO50RO1aReSjxjL SmileSmileSmileSmile

I tried to do this, I really did. But speaking as someone who has created and analyzed quite a number of surveys, there are some internal bias issues with this one that are likely going to impact your results.

I kind of shrugged off the disclaimer statement "My participation is voluntary and that I am free to withdraw at any time without giving any reason" -- this would be problematic for someone who did NOT believe in free will, yet there is no option to check other than "I agree".

Then I saw that "Atheist" was listed as a "faith", which it is not.

Still, I plowed ahead, and then hit a lengthy section regarding my "spiritual" beliefs and concerns -- which presupposes that I have beliefs and concerns that I would classify as "spiritual", which I do not.

Eventually I had to bail out, because too many of the questions were loaded in a way which made it impossible for me to answer honestly.
For example:

"Although I sometimes fall short of my spiritual ideas, I am still basically a good and worthwhile person"

...assumes that I have "spiritual ideas" (ideals?) that I compare my actions to. I have moral, ethical, intellectual, social, and aesthetic ideas (and ideals), among others, but, alas, no spiritual ideas/ideals. Yet answering "strongly disagree" would still imply that I did have such ideas, but didn't feel that I was falling short of them.

I wish you the best of luck with your survey, but I'm not sure it's ultimately going to give you any useful information except, perhaps, about how to construct a more useful survey. Yes

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post