Sat through another church service

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2015, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2015 08:49 PM by DLJ.)
Sat through another church service
So on Sunday I decided to spend some time with my mom, and she likes going to church, so I went with her that morning.

This is my former church that I used to attend regularly, but have stopped doing so for obvious reasons.

Every time I sit through another service as a nonbeliever, I realize how my former pastor always makes direct eye contact with me for long periods of time like he knows that I don't buy it anymore (probably my facial expressions and all that).

Anyway, yesterday he dropped the line that "all who disbelieve are condemned already" and emphasized the "already" part. Then he goes on to name drop Christopher Hitchens and says that "prominent atheist author Christopher Hitchens said that if he were to meet god, he would say he disbelieved because of a lack of evidence".

Then the punchline, "Well, I tell you, the resurrection of Jesus Christ IS the evidence! What more evidence could you need! God is literally screaming out at you and giving you all the evidence you need!"
Shocking

I can't believe that I used to look up to this pastor when I was a teenager. I also can't believe the number of "Amen!"'s that got.

[Image: z555d8ccd8ce21.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Helen_Damnation's post
20-04-2015, 06:45 PM
RE: Sat through another church service
It's always good to spend time with those we care about. Hopefully you were able to enjoy something more stimulating, after the service. Your former pastors remarks are quite typical of religious leaders. When they're not attacking the nonbelievers, they usually aim for other faiths or variations of their faith.

As for the congregation, you can always expect them to question little and believe much. Stay vigilant.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-04-2015, 07:09 PM
You sat through another church service? I'm so sorry to hear of this dreadful event. You have my sincerest sympathies. Hug

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Man, I haven't been in a church in years.

BTW, how can the resurrection be considered evidence, when there is no evidence of said resurrection? lol
20-04-2015, 08:28 PM
(20-04-2015 08:23 PM)raininghostility Wrote:  Man, I haven't been in a church in years.

BTW, how can the resurrection be considered evidence, when there is no evidence of said resurrection? lol
Because...Rolleyes
20-04-2015, 08:29 PM
(20-04-2015 08:28 PM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  
(20-04-2015 08:23 PM)raininghostility Wrote:  Man, I haven't been in a church in years.

Because...Rolleyes

Because Bible Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like raininghostility's post
20-04-2015, 08:31 PM
(20-04-2015 08:29 PM)raininghostility Wrote:  
(20-04-2015 08:28 PM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  Because...Rolleyes

Because Bible Laugh out load
Precisely, glad we could have such an enlightening discussion from the pulpit.
20-04-2015, 08:42 PM
(20-04-2015 06:29 PM)Helen_Damnation Wrote:  Then the punchline, "Well, I tell you, the resurrection of Jesus Christ IS the evidence! What more evidence could you need! God is literally screaming out at you and giving you all the evidence you need!"
It's your basic argument from incredulity as well as Social Manipulation 101.

If you attend that church you've already acceded to this guy's "leadership" and if he thinks something is bleeding obvious then even if you don't take his point, well, he's the frigging PASTOR for god's sake. He MUST know what he's talking about. And look, all the other sheeple are nodding and amen-ing in agreement.

Let me think ... let me think ... is THAT person going to be the one to break ranks and be the nutter who's not listening to god's self-evident "screaming" of "evidence"? Nah, I guess not.
20-04-2015, 08:47 PM
If I kiss a frog, it will turn into a prince. It's written in a book; what more evidence do I need?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
20-04-2015, 08:53 PM
(20-04-2015 08:47 PM)cactus Wrote:  If I kiss a frog, it will turn into a prince. It's written in a book; what more evidence do I need?
Next step is to translate it into other languages, and diversify the number of american versions. Send it off to the printing press, and there's your New York Times bestselling holy writ.